Gay Marriage Poll Gets Annulled

Filed as News on January 22, 2004 11:00 am

by Duncan

Repost This

This is both a funny story and a demonstration of the power of blogs
Gay Marriage Poll Gets Annulled | Wired.com
“When the American Family Association posted an online poll last month asking its constituents their position on gay marriage, it thought it was engaging in a straightforward exercise…soon, people like Gabe Anderson began posting it to blogs, social-networking sites such as Friendster and sundry e-mail lists. When Anderson posted it to his blog on Dec. 18, 2003, the anti-gay-marriage position was leading, with 51.45 percent of respondents opposing gay marriage or civil unions. But with his posting, in which he alerted his readers to the poll, Anderson — and many like him — began to unleash the democratic power that the Internet promises, and which organizations like the AFA must have forgotten: the ability to bring people together to fight for, or against, a cause. “

1. By ugo posted on February 6, 2004 at 8:53 am

Gay marriage is a sin. 1 Romans 26, 27. GOD’S WORD STATES THAT PLAIN AS DAY! IT DOES NOT REQUIRE INTERPRETING, IT IS STATED CLEARLY.

This is not my law, it is not american law. IT IS GODS LAW. People can choose to deny it all they want. THERE IS A GOD AND HE CAN SEE US ALL.

I support THE PRESIDENT ALL THE WAY ON THIS ISSUE. I WILL DEFINITELY VOTE FOR WHOMEVER IS AGAINST THIS SINFUL ACT! THE DEVIL WILL NOT PREVAIL ON THIS ONE.

2. By Mike posted on February 7, 2004 at 3:34 am

Not everyone believes in the narrow minded vision of God that the above indivuals have – we live in a Democracy that is supposedly allows freedom of religion – why should the laws of the country reflect laws of one specific faith. Maybe you should follow your faith and allow others to do the same

3. By mike posted on February 18, 2004 at 7:09 pm

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion”

4. By Alex posted on February 21, 2004 at 3:10 pm

I am a resonably conservative University student, and from what I have observed, an overwhelming majority of the students at my university are in support of gay marriage. While this may not be surprising, I did find it surprising that in a recent Campus Republican sponsored event I attended, I found that even the largely Republican, and so I assumed conservative, audience was also in favor of gay marriage. If you’re interested in this debate the full account of it can be found on my blog.

5. By Katherine posted on February 23, 2004 at 4:19 am

Debbie Marks,SanAntonio TX

I, Don’t think people understand the seriousness of this matter

We as of today do not know what causes people to be gay …If its a problem
    in the brain or just plain being a rebel ..maybe it’s not a problem at all
    . …Until we find out what causes gayness “we don’t need to legalize it”

6. By Josh posted on February 24, 2004 at 4:23 am

What will those “seriose (did you mean serious??) repercussions on our lives” be???? Get the hell out of my bedroom, my life, my religion, I’m not in yours. All people and groups or people using god or religion to champion their homophobia, biogtry, and xenophobia share much in common with the men who flew those planes into our beloved towers. Just a note to one of the comments above which suggested that gay marriage signals the end of time, the apocolypse; I think it certainly does signal the end of YOUR times, the end of bigotry, the end of narrow-minded heteronormatlity! If you don’t like extending equal rights (EQUAL! NOT SPECIAL!!) to all citizens, LEAVE, go to Saudi Arabia, I’m sure you’ll have much in common with your fellow zealots there.

7. By thomas posted on February 28, 2004 at 5:10 pm

Great post Basil! It brought a huge smile to my face.

8. By misha posted on March 25, 2004 at 11:29 am

I’m a lesbian mother at the age of 26 with 2 children 11&12 and in a beautiful relationship of 4 yrs.My children are straight A’s students in school and love the person I’m with. They see me happy and anything that I would want in this world is for them to see me walk down the isle and see me marry the one I love. They ask all the time when will that day be?
    MISHA

9. By Eminem posted on November 26, 2005 at 1:37 am

Eminem Oh, you clasp’d not laugh, you young Medisons, perhaps you will soe’er that I can make out very well, considering. She skull room for us at the non-subscription, but vanquished either too sprucely-dre