World wide blog count for May: now over 60 million blogs

Filed as Guides on May 25, 2005 12:00 pm

by Duncan

Attention Slashdot Readers: the latest Blog Herald Blog Count is available here (July) for those interested.

Duncan Riley> Time for another count which I was saving for a few weeks, but after A list blogger Steve Rubel, who should have known better, asked whether the latest Japanese blogging figures were reflected in the 11 million in Blogpulse, and also said that somebody should provide a country break down on the number of blogs (which I’ve been doing nearly month since January) here we go.

The good news in this report is that we have some better numbers to go by coming out of Asia, although the breakdown in the Anglosphere is still based on operator numbers and not by country

Anglosphere
US/ Canada/ UK/ Australia/ NZ

Google: 8.5 million
according to Persus + 500,000 growth in 6 weeks which is an educated guess, probably more

MSN Spaces: 10 million
7 million at 21 April with reported growth of 100,000 blogs per day. I’ve called it 10 million which allows for a small decline in growth, however the growth was being fuelled by the new version of IM which normally takes several months for everyone to update, so I can see that the growth will be maintained for at least some time, but not the longer term. We won’t know for sure until Microsoft gives a new update on the figures

Six Apart Live Journal/ TypePad/ MT: 8.7 million
from LJ 25May (7.2m) + SixApart claimed 1.2 million for MT and TypePad when it acquired LJ allows for 300,000 conservative growth figure for MT and TypePad, 100,000 more from 6 weeks ago

Other hosted (US): 9 million
perseus
we still don’t have figures for AOL, Lycos or Yahoo 360!, so there may be more again, but given the approximations on growth elsewhere we’ll leave them in the other hosted figure.

I’d note that we also know that there are at least 360,000 Australian blogs, but probably closer to 500,000. This is included in the Anglosphere total. I’ve been told there are at least 700,000 UK bloggers, but am unable ot confirm the figure, this would be mainly in the Anglosphere total

Sub Total: 36.2 million

Asia
Japan: 3.35 million blogs
confirmed here first through a Japan Today report and now by Steve Rubel 3 days later.

China: 4 million
NY Times 24 May

South Korea: 15 million
new reports are still difficult to get out of South Korea, so I’m using the same figure as last month. Give how high it is a can’t see a huge amount of growth left in South Korea for blogs.

Other Asia (Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and the Phillipines): approx 1 million
mixed reports and no firm figures so again I’ve stuck with last months figures. What I have managed to stumble on to is some really good blogs coming out of these countries and vibrant blogging communities, but alas no figure.

India/ Pakistan: approx 1 million
no firm figures however I’ve noticed a significant rise out of India recently, and certainly the Indian press is also reporting on the emergence of Indian blogs, which is a sure sign that there must be a reasonable number there.

Sub Total: 24.35 million

Europe
France: 1.5 million
The figure is at least 1.5 million on French blogger service Skyblog, its potentially larger but I know that some French bloggers will use Anglosphere services like Blogger and Spaces.

I don’t have figures for other countries, but I do know a lot of European bloggers use US based services (Livejournal, blogger etc). So we’ll say 500,000 for the rest which use services outside of the Anglosphere which are not counted elsewhere.

Sub Total: 2 million

Middle East
Iraq: at least 151
Iraqi blog count as at 25 May

Others: approx 100,000?
In the Middle East I’m including Israel, which although may compete in the Eurovision song contests looks like being in the Middle East on my map. I’d hazard to guess that the bulk of the blogs are in Israel, and I’ve had the opportunity of email chatting with a few Israeli bloggers recently, one of whom was building a Gawker style network in Hebrew.

Africa: 10,000+
Insignificant numbers although there are a few blogs appearing in South Africa

TOTAL: 62.66 million blogs

Notes to figures: where possible figures have been referenced or shown as to how they have been calculated. The figures indicate the total number of blogs, not the total number of bloggers or live blogs, in a similar way that Technorati and similar services do. By all means feel free to comment, but please dont start a discussion on how may are “active” or not, its an important discussion but this tally is not the place. As always if anyone has newer figures on any countries please let me know.

Update: SixApart LiveJournal has been described by Mosnews.com as Russia’s most popular blogging service. Given the figures are already in the SixApart figures there is nothing to add to the overall count, however there are 165,000 Russian bloggers on LJ, so I’ll call the total for Russia at around 200,000 blogs.

Further Update: Indian figure has been given a 100,000 in this report. Given I called the over all figure at “above 60 million” I wont adjust things. Interestingly the report quotes one of my earlier counts, then refers to another blog that points to my next world blog count.

1. By Marco posted on May 25, 2005 at 1:50 pm

For the Netherlands the number of blogs is estimated on 250,000 (excl. 500,000 MSN Spaces). Both figures were presented at Blognomics in April 2005. So my guess that the number of blogs in Europe is much more than 2 million although I don”t have exact figures as well.

2. By Arnoud posted on May 25, 2005 at 2:50 pm

With a population of 48 million for South Korea, I think 15 million blogs is a very high figure.

3. By site admin posted on May 25, 2005 at 3:26 pm

I agree on the 15 million being high, but its based on actual released numbers from blog companies over their. From what I can gather South Korea would be one of the few places on the planet ahead of the US in terms of trends.

4. Micro PersuasionMay 25, 2005 at 6:03 pm
  5. By Geoff posted on May 25, 2005 at 7:27 pm

The stats at http://www.skyblog.com show

* 2 084 334 Skyblogs
    * 84 351 353 Articles
    * 110 685 471 Commentaires

as off today. So I guess the 1.5m in the article was taken a long time ago.

South Korea is way ahead of the USA and Europe with something like 90+% connectivity and their broadband at 10MB puts my UK one at 1MB to shame!

6. By Marco posted on May 26, 2005 at 4:32 am

Jorge, can you direct us to a source where we can find more information about the central and south american blogoshere? I think that you’re right that beside the underestimation of Europe the list lack some figures about the central and south american blogosphere.

7. By Joe Smith posted on May 26, 2005 at 9:41 am

Duncan, once again, great work. This is by far the best estimate of the # of blogs in the world. My own personal guess is 50 to 75 million, so I’m glad your estimate is similar to my very wide range. Technorati indeed has quite a way to go before they truly become the Google of weblogs.

By the way, congrats on being one of the highlighted blogs of the day at BlogPulse.com. I believe that Intelliseek’s BlogPulse is a credible source. The fact that they link to you means you’re perhaps the most credible source for a worldwide blog count. Great work!

8. Marketing Loop BlogMay 26, 2005 at 10:11 am
  9. By site admin posted on May 26, 2005 at 1:56 pm

On the South American comments I apologise because I’ve never really been able to get any figures out of South America, and I’ve totally overlooked South America this time which is wrong. The term “Anglosphere” is probably inaccurate because the more I read the more I find that countries that utilise Roman or cryllic alphabets tend to have a large stake in the US based blog hosts, where as with South Korea for example, with the exception of Yahoo! South Korea (which has been running its own blogging service for about a year) the other two leaders are both local companies. China and Japan are similar. The Middle East is a hard one as well because I know services like Persian blog are quite popular in Iran but due to the language and typography difference its hard to pin a number on it, and I also don’t believe that even Google and other search engines index Middle Eastern sites particularly well, so I cant get a figure from them

10. By Jeffrey Henning posted on May 27, 2005 at 3:17 am

How many blogs are there worldwide? Certainly more than the 10-11 million that have been indexed, and more than the 31.6 million hosted blogs we’ve estimated exist. Maybe as many as BlogHerald’s estimate of 60 million. Whatever the number is today, the key point is that it is growing rapidly.

11. By Hugo E. Martin posted on May 27, 2005 at 7:36 pm

For future statistics I would suggest some changes and recommend to use the community to get a more accurate picture on the “blind spots� from US-centric the view point:

Either go by region …
    Break-up the Anglosphere and count 36 plus million
    for US (PEW) and Canada (incl. Quebec)

Try to get some figures for South and Central America
    I estimate their must be at least 800.000 to 1 million blogs and more

For Europe (incl. about 700.000 UK) we should be
    close to 4,5 to 5 million blogs

Update your figures on the “Rest of Asia” … (or go by the language area / used language … )

12. The Blog Herald: more blog news more often » Blog Archive » Official: MSN Spaces breaks 10 million blogsMay 27, 2005 at 10:29 pm
  13. Tech Gadgets Blog - LiewCF.comMay 28, 2005 at 11:33 am
  14. By the english guy posted on May 31, 2005 at 2:12 am

The real question should be: how many of all those 60M blogs are actually active? Many are just dead, created and written for a week or so then forgotten.

15. BloggersBlog.comMay 31, 2005 at 2:21 am
  16. Tom Raftery’s I.T. views » Blog Archive » 60+ million blogs worldwideMay 31, 2005 at 7:00 pm
  17. Connected Internet - Broadband, Mobile and Gaming News BlogJune 2, 2005 at 5:19 am
  18. By Marco posted on June 11, 2005 at 7:32 am

Duncan, just want to let you know that there is a Wiki opened to get more insight in the European blogosphere:

Just click on the country links and you will find usefull information about the number of blogs in the related countries.

19. By Turambar posted on June 14, 2005 at 3:28 pm

Wikipedia estimates 200 000 German blogs, but I think the number is somewhere between 400 and 500 thousand. My service myblog.de lists 65422 blogs alone and it’s not even one of the biggest services. How many are active is hard to say, but the European total has to be much higher than 2 Mio. (even if you’re not counting the ones in English).

20. MARC BAUMANN.COM » More als 60 million blogs weltweitJune 16, 2005 at 12:06 pm
  21. korypence.com » Blog Archive » LINKS OF THE WEEK 2July 13, 2005 at 10:43 pm
  22. By Kristina posted on August 16, 2005 at 1:32 pm

Duncan,

How does this compare with Technorati’s figures, which are a fraction of what you are reporting here? Why are they missing so much?

Maby thanks,
    Kristina

23. T. Longren » 60 Million BlogsSeptember 27, 2005 at 3:31 pm
  24. By Glenn Fannick posted on September 27, 2005 at 3:45 pm

What about the Spam blogs? How many of these shouldn’t be counted. I’ve seen numbers as high as 30%.

25. By Jonathan Trudel posted on October 28, 2005 at 11:36 am

If one radio station in France hosts more than 3 million blogs alone (!) (www.skyblog.com), the number worldwide should probably exceed the 60 millions mentionned.

26. By michael s baker posted on December 5, 2005 at 11:43 pm

i see that honda was gone politicslly correct,,, anti christian,,,with there advertisements this year

have a merry christmass !!!!!!!!!!

27. By Steve Mallett posted on January 1, 2006 at 2:16 pm

180n.com is an example of WebRSS – a presentation style of website that skips over all the hard parts of RSS (learning why to use it, how to use it, etc) and skips directly to the good part: scanning, reading, discarding the rest.

There are a few features not implemented yet, but you’ll get the idea: prepackaged feeds in feedreader-form on one page.

28. My StuffJanuary 2, 2006 at 3:21 am
  29. » AT LEAST I CAN FIND,,BLOG STATS…….March 22, 2006 at 5:48 pm
  30. Brad Huff Cycling » Blog Archive » little blog in big world!May 9, 2006 at 2:54 pm
  31. what is ultracet . RetrisdnMay 21, 2006 at 6:26 pm
  32. On the journey » Blog Archive » To vox or not to voxMay 25, 2006 at 2:28 pm
  33. Blabber Bladder » Blog Archive » how many blogs are there?November 13, 2006 at 1:22 am
  34. dd 11/19/2006 « InfinitudeNovember 19, 2006 at 4:07 am
  35. misnomer jones » 60,000,001January 15, 2007 at 5:28 am
  36. Purple Lemon » Blog Archive » Seville readies LED traffic light switchJuly 16, 2007 at 7:46 am
  37. Purple Lemon » Blog Archive » The AHKY wrist worn translation deviceJuly 18, 2007 at 12:07 pm
  38. Purple Lemon » Blog Archive » The blogosphere reaches equilibrium?July 19, 2007 at 7:10 pm
  39. Feed Readers ReviewedJuly 25, 2007 at 8:36 pm
  40. Deckchairs on the TitanicJuly 26, 2007 at 9:28 am
  41. Technology Times » Blog Archive » To blog, or not to blog…September 6, 2007 at 12:07 am
  42. Ý nghĩa của từ Blog « Pham The HungSeptember 9, 2007 at 10:46 am
  43. YEAH RIGHT » Dit blog bestaat niet!December 18, 2007 at 7:33 pm
  44. Dutch vs English - the epic battle of my blog — Taxidriver MarketingDecember 24, 2007 at 4:01 pm
  45. WP-SuperBlog.com » Blog Archive » More Wordpress Blog ResourcesJanuary 20, 2008 at 9:47 am
  46. WP-SuperBlog.com » Blog Archive » More Wordpress Blog ResourcesJanuary 20, 2008 at 9:47 am
  47. Đi tìm ý nghĩa thật sự của Blog | VT2 BlogMarch 3, 2008 at 9:18 am
  48. Will Google discount Blogroll links | SeoUnique BlogJune 26, 2008 at 7:52 am
  49. Dutch vs English - the epic battle of my blog | Daan JansoniusJuly 29, 2008 at 10:51 am
  50. VEGA.web.id » Blog Archive » Jumlah Blog di DuniaAugust 29, 2008 at 4:06 am