A digg by any other name would still smell as sweet

Filed as General on May 28, 2006 10:41 am

Why do Web 2.0 applications have goofy names? That’s the question that J. Angelo Racoma is asking over at Forever Geek:

Digg, Flickr, Reddit, Meebo, Odeo. What do they all have in common? Well, aside from their being part of all this “Web 2.0″ hype (AJAXy-websites, community-driven/oriented content, etc.), they have weird names that seem nonsensical at first glance.

Then again, I have no room to talk considering that our business blog is named Biziki and our former gadget blog was named Gadzooki.

1. By jangelo posted on May 28, 2006 at 3:10 pm

And I used to write for Gadzooki, too! :P

Or was it still tech.erati.com back then?

Anyway, I’d always wondered about the Gadzooki name.

2. By Quimby posted on May 28, 2006 at 7:08 pm

Hey, jangelo. I’m the new owner of Gadzooki and would be very happy to talk to you about writing for us if you’re interested. Send me an email here: http://www.sea-waves.net/contact.php

3. By Matt posted on May 28, 2006 at 7:15 pm

Quit trying to steal my bloggers ;-)

J/K

~Matt

4. By Matt posted on May 28, 2006 at 7:15 pm

We (Chris, David, and I) came up with the name for Gadzooki in a half-drunken IM discussion one evening. Or perhaps that was Biziki – one of the two anyways.

Matt

5. By jangelo posted on May 29, 2006 at 2:12 am

“… half-drunken IM discussion …”

I know the feeling. :P

6. By Chrono Cr@cker posted on May 29, 2006 at 6:54 am

Hey Matt,
    Cool reply mod. I like that reply within reply. Goojob!

Anyways, would be great if you used a bit less of the blockquote, bit annoying when seen in everypost. Intead of posting just the news, you should post your opinion as well.

And yes, a good creative name is the base for the success of any web 2.0 product. It’s all there in the name.