It was fun while it lasted

Filed as General on December 6, 2006 5:06 pm

Repost This

This will be my last column here at The Blog Herald. It was a fun and exciting ride (albeit short) while it lasted, but all good things must come to an end.

I’d like to thank Matt Craven for giving us (me) the freedom to cause mayhem here – now go and have another scotch on me, mate. :-)

The Blog Herald was the first blog I ever read when it was in the hands of its founder, Duncan Riley. It had a strong reputation and readership and was quite influential, so to get the chance to be a small part of it … well, lets just say it has been my pleasure and an honor.

To the new owners of The Blog Herald I wish them all the best in their endeavors. Transitions such as these take time. Take some time to gather up a group of bloggers, develop an editorial voice and go from there.

Now onto my column …

It’s about transparency in blogging .. err, maybe for another day. ;-)

Cheers,
Martin Neumann

PS. For us Aussies who love cricket … :-) :-) :-)

1. By David Krug posted on December 6, 2006 at 5:24 pm

Martin,
    Good luck with any future developments you head up. You know I will be watching you :)

2. By Martin Neumann posted on December 6, 2006 at 7:29 pm

Thanks David … and you know I’ll be watching you and all your moves, although it’s hard to keep up at times. :-)

Good luck with 901am and where’s that ebook? I’ll drop you an email one day with an idea I have.

3. By Mark Saunders posted on December 7, 2006 at 12:17 am

Thanks for the good wishes, Martin. Cricket always was a gentleman’s game. How the hell did you win that last Test?

4. By Darren posted on December 7, 2006 at 3:30 am

It was fun while it lasted Martin – for us too.

In terms of the cricket – i think it’s more a question of ‘how the hell did the English loose it?’

5. By Martin posted on December 7, 2006 at 3:52 am

Darren & Mark – thanks.

I think England forgot that Tests last 5 days and not 4 :-)

6. By Mark Saunders posted on December 7, 2006 at 5:17 am

One thing us poms have perfected is how to lose well!

7. By Martin posted on December 7, 2006 at 5:52 am

Mark – yeah you poms lose well with dignity, and not for the first time. :-)

But seriously, what is it: you guys pretty much dictated the whole match until …

What was striking was how your spinner Giles just was not up to it – it was so glaring. Yes, it’s pretty hard to put him up against Warnie, but watching Warnie all day and then Giles – he was just second rate.

And Harmison – he’s like a white West Indies quick – he should be bouncing us and ripping our heads off.

I just hope the 3rd Test next Thurs is better or else the Ashes hype is over for the summer – too soon. And then Boxing Day at the MCG will be an anti-climax.

8. By John Evans (SYNTAGMA) posted on December 7, 2006 at 6:37 am

Good luck, Martin, in all your new ventures.

Talking of “ripping people’s heads off” you’re a kind of blogging Harmison yourself, mate. :-)

On the Ashes, in 1981 England lost the first two tests, then won the next three. History does repeat itself, you know, and Warnie is not invincible. ;-)

9. By Mark Saunders posted on December 7, 2006 at 7:44 am

Yeah, but then Harmison isn’t Bob Willis and Freddie, much as I’d love him to be, is no Botham. And he’s no Captain either, which makes me wonder if we would have capitulated like that if Vaughan had been there. Agnew says it best-: “England were hapless and naive”. My prediction: 3-1 to the Oz.

10. By Martin posted on December 7, 2006 at 7:56 am

Thanks John – oh, I wasn’t that rough on people was I – the blogging Harmison (only when he’s in form). :-)

All the best in the direction you’re going in – I’ll be checking in on how you’re going, so I hope 2007 is the big year for you.

Still going on about ’81, eh. :-) You know you’re clutching at straws and it’s just a matter of time. 3rd Test. Perth. Notorious bouncy wicket. My prediction: Pointing (seeing he just loves the hook/pull) will score 150 and Warnie will get 8 for the match.

But deep down, I’m hoping England come back strong – the Melb and Syd tests are awaiting … don’t want them to be dead rubbers.

11. By Jim Kukral posted on December 7, 2006 at 12:06 pm

Good work Martin. See you around!

12. By Aaron Brazell posted on December 7, 2006 at 5:24 pm

Miss you, Martin. You’ve been a gem here.

13. By Martin posted on December 7, 2006 at 5:26 pm

Thanks Jim and for all your encouraging comments along the way – I think I’ll be hanging around Revenews more now – many topics there of interest to where I’m heading – especially setting up and running a good aff marketing program.

14. By Martin posted on December 7, 2006 at 8:48 pm

Thanks for that Aaron – I think Matt put together a neat little team here, very diverse and for a few months there we had a golden run.

Now lets not get to the point of taking out the tissues as we weep … :-)

Catch you around the b’sphere and keep up the good work you’re doing at b5.

To All: b5′s business channel is shaping up into a monster hit, imo – real quality over there. Highly recommended (and no, this is not a paid announcement) :-)

15. By Abe Olandres posted on December 7, 2006 at 10:49 pm

Hello Martin. Wish you all the best. =)

16. By Gramo posted on December 8, 2006 at 7:04 am

Good luck in your future projects! :)

17. By Aaron Brazell posted on December 8, 2006 at 11:43 am

Martin–

Would love to interview you about your time at Blog Herald – particularly in the past week. Email me if you’re interested. :)