The Irresistible Draw of Social News

Filed as Features on January 16, 2007 8:00 am

Repost This

People often ask me what drew me to the world of social news. This is a question that has more possible answers now than when I started using Digg. Some of the answers also provide insights as to why it is so hard to stop participating in social news once you’ve started.

Before the age of social news sites, I used to work in an office with an open-concept layout. The employees there would frequently IM links to current events to everyone in the office. People would read it and then shout out comments or witty remarks about it. This was the original social news for me. The environment on Digg reminded me of that.

The thing that hooks many people, and the thing that initially hooked me, is the first time a submission of theirs gets promoted to the front page. There is a small rush that comes from knowing you’ve gotten the word out about something interesting. It can be likened to the feeling of leveling up in a role playing game. And just like leveling up, it motivates you to go for the next level.

Other users dive into the social news pool with dollar signs in their eyes. Netscape hires people to professionally bookmark for them and Newsvine has ad revenue sharing. Content producers drool at the possibility of being on the front page of these sites. SEO consultants have begun offering Social Media Optimization services for their clients. There are even some sites that rely on Digg to serve the volume of ads they promise their sponsors.

Still other users have had social news “forced” upon them. When Netscape launched their revamped social news format in June, some of their users who were accustomed to the portal were disappointed. So disappointed were they that they began registering their displeasure in the form of articles that they submitted to the site, thereby unwittingly getting drawn into the process. Before long many of them settled in and their protests vanished.

Once you’ve been drawn in you’re bound to encounter another hook: the social atmosphere. The more you participate, the more people with similar interests you will connect with. I often find myself considering these people when I read articles. The depths of these relationships can vary from online acquaintances to business relationships. Several friends of mine have landed consultant positions as a result of their connections on Digg. I’m waiting patiently to celebrate the first time 2 social bookmarkers meet, fall in love and get married (Headline: “It Was Love at First Digg”).

And once someone gets into social news that deep, they rarely turn back. If I had a nickel for every time a fellow social bookmarker has told me they’re “resigning” from Digg or Netscape or Newsvine, I would need a very, very large nickel storage medium. Sure enough, they’re back in the saddle within hours or days. This retention of users is one of the many reasons why socially driven news is going to have a lasting impact on the way we consume content.

Tags: , , ,

1. Search HeadlinesJanuary 16, 2007 at 12:37 pm
  2. By Rohit Bhargava posted on January 16, 2007 at 12:59 pm

Hi Derek – Great piece. My view is when you couple social news with the power of RSS – you get the full picture of the transformation that is taking place in how we consume content. Editors are not the gatekeepers to the front page anymore, and I can take advice from my peers as well as come up with my own view of news as I would like to consume it through RSS. The only danger is losing objectivity by only subscribing to or reading news we agree with. In this sense, social news and sites like Digg, Netscape and others will continue to play a huge role in bringing the most substantial news more visibility … whether a reader agrees with it or not.

3. By Ilya Lichtenstein posted on January 16, 2007 at 9:47 pm

With social networks, it’s the community that makes or breaks them. For the most part, Digg has managed to create a quality community/culture, and that’s why it is succesful.

4. By Motorcycle Guy posted on January 16, 2007 at 11:29 pm

Great post! I especially liked the “Love at first Digg” and wouldn’t be surprised if someone fabricates that story to make the front page. You make another good point at how addictive Social Networking can be, people try to swear it off as a huge time waster but always come back.

5. By Newspoo posted on January 17, 2007 at 12:29 am

It’s all about letting the comunity decide what gets to the front…

Like digg and http://www.newspoo.com

6. The Irresistible Draw of Social News « Universe_JDJ’s News BlogJanuary 17, 2007 at 1:16 am
  7. The Irresistible Draw of Social News at mattstapleton.comJanuary 17, 2007 at 2:00 am
  8. Socially Driven Today, 01-16-2006January 17, 2007 at 4:53 am
  9. Socially Driven Today, 01-16-2006January 17, 2007 at 4:53 am
  10. By Pramit posted on January 17, 2007 at 8:34 am

11. The Irresistable Draw of Social NewsJanuary 23, 2007 at 5:36 pm
  12. Curved Mind.comJanuary 31, 2007 at 4:41 pm
  13. BlogHeralder Gets Profiled In The Wall Street Journal at The Blog HeraldFebruary 11, 2007 at 1:41 am
  14. 不可抗拒的社区新闻 : 先驱博客 - The Blog Herald ChinaJune 18, 2007 at 6:19 pm