Split long posts into multiple pages in WordPress

Filed as Features, Guides on June 14, 2007 6:56 am

Repost This

Have you ever read an online article that was so long that it was split into several pages so you didn’t have to load one long page, and instead, you had several smaller pages, making it easier to digest? If you’re using WordPress as your blogging platform, this very same effect can be easily achieved!

This is a feature of WordPress that is not very well known, probably because blog posts are generally not meant to be as long as a New York Times article. Keep in mind that WordPress is not only used as a blogging platform, but it can also be used as a complete CMS for your website, so there may be times when you DO have articles that are long enough to require the use of pagination (pagination simply means “the numbering of the pages.”)

Other people may prefer to split up their one, long blog post into multiple posts instead. Whatever you choose to do, it’s entirely up to you; what I’m offering to you here is simply another option that you can use in the future.

In order to paginate your blog post, in the Write panel in your WordPress admin, switch to the Code view (if you are using the Visual view) and then enter the following code to wherever you want to break the post up into a new page. An example is also offered along with it:

...so John went to sleep.

<!--nextpage-->

The next day, he...

This will create a list of pages that make up that post, shown like this:

Page 1, 2, 3

And you’re all done!

Gary King is a professional freelance web developer, primarily using Ruby on Rails and PHP to create cool new websites. When he’s not trying to take over the world one blog at a time, you can find him mulling over his thoughts at King Gary.

Tags:

1. By franky posted on June 14, 2007 at 7:08 am

Gary, Lorelle is going to kill you! :D

2. By charlie posted on June 14, 2007 at 7:45 am

Haha, franky, I was just thinking exactly the same thing! I was even thinking this might be a post by Lorelle about the issue of splitting posts into pages from the title in my feed reader.

3. By Everton posted on June 14, 2007 at 8:45 am

I’ve been doing this for a while now, but I’ve only recently realised that the additional pages aren’t displayed to feedreaders, and they don’t even know they are there – WP need to fix this

4. By pelf posted on June 14, 2007 at 10:13 am

*giggles* at franky’s comment, LOL.

5. By Nia posted on June 14, 2007 at 10:15 am

This is great. It means I can, keep all post content above the fold with this simple insertion…I’ll see what the results look like in the reader where I allow “full” feed.

Presently I am monetizing my sidebars so in fact I may want people to read below the fold however this is a great tool.

Thanks. I’ll use it and if I want people to read below the fold, for the monetization of the sidebar below the fold then I’ll just display two or three posts at a time on the front page. This is a very nice tool.

I’m going to implement and post about int now. (now means 1-2 hours, if I”m not interrupted, of course)

6. By J. Angelo Racoma posted on June 14, 2007 at 10:22 am

OMG Gary! What have you just done?

7. By J. Angelo Racoma posted on June 14, 2007 at 10:25 am

Nia, I prefer to use excerpts instead on the front page (or you can use the MORE function). This way, users have a cleaner view of the front page, and I get more page views on individual articles.

I’m not really into pagination, though, for reasons of usability, and because my blog posts are usually not that long. In those rare instances of lengthy posting, I use headers (enclosed with header tags like <h3></h3>).

Good, simple, tutorial, though. I think pagination does have a use–and that’s for the really long articles.

8. By Nia posted on June 14, 2007 at 10:31 am

uh, oh…by inserting whre I wanted teh page break I ended up with a first page and no second page at all. Clearly I’m missing something (like a course on coding). So I’ll have to put this into my RSS Shareds until I have time to search for more guidance.

I don’t think I have an subscribers so the fact that it’s not visible in a reader is a moot point actually. ;)

Keeping my posts under 500 words is a goal but still I do have a few posts at several of my sites that are way way long.

I’ll either go back and edit, split into separate posts or this technique you’ve introduced me to when I understand what was apparently not obvious to me the first go ’round.

Thanks, all the best!

9. By Chris posted on June 14, 2007 at 11:06 am

Now, if more WP Theme designers were aware of this. Often times, they leave out the necessary Template Tags to make that actually work.

WP Codex article: http://codex.wordpress.org/Styling_Page-Links

10. By Nia posted on June 14, 2007 at 3:48 pm

Thank you Chris and J now I understand why the was simply loping off half of the post. My template, as it stands is a bit “handicapped” in the codex dept.

I’ll look into using the “more” That feature would be a nice way to take people down the length of the page scanning the title, illustration and couple of paragraphs of 3 distinct posts in succession.

11. By Gary King posted on June 14, 2007 at 3:57 pm

I never use this method myself, but there ARE times when you’re building a website using WordPress as a CMS and you want to use this functionality. It’s something that’s not commonly known, so I just wanted to throw it out there.

12. By J. Angelo Racoma posted on June 14, 2007 at 10:28 pm

Online magazines often use page breaking to split long articles. I agree that sites using WP as a CMS would find this useful. But am I right to assume that the code for displaying/supporting pagination is not present in most downloadable themes these days (meaning the user has to add them to either index or single post file)?

13. By Gary King posted on June 14, 2007 at 11:13 pm

I believe that pagination is built into the same function that outputs content, so as long as you can see post content, then pagination will work.

14. By Elixir Web Solutions posted on June 15, 2007 at 1:22 am

ya , u r right .. i have seen in many article comes in sections or part 1,2 3.. and so on …And it is easy to read full article ..

Thanks,
    Elixir Web Solutions
    Web Design Services from India

15. Friday Fishwrap: June 15June 15, 2007 at 9:25 am
  16. By Chris posted on June 15, 2007 at 9:26 am

I believe that pagination is built into the same function that outputs content [...]

Hi Gary – I’m afraid not. The link I left here yesterday, to the WP Codex, explains more.

17. By Joe Clark posted on June 15, 2007 at 11:45 am

While this may indeed be a WordPress feature, your advice is nuts and is, frankly, anti-Web.

18. By Gary King posted on June 15, 2007 at 1:09 pm

Joe, for the XHTML zealot, using <b> instead of <strong> is also madness in most cases. Even though that may be the case, there ARE indeed certain situations where one may still want to use <b> because they want to FORCE something to be in bold text (since <strong> only OPTIONALLY makes something bold). I like to think that this equally gives the author the option of using this, without forcing them to do so.

19. Split Long Posts Into Multiple Pages In WordPress [Linkosphere]June 15, 2007 at 9:02 pm
  20. By Nia posted on June 15, 2007 at 9:06 pm

Chris, the codex was very helpful. The “more” works for me just fine. Thanks for your help.

21. How to Split Long Posts Into Multiple Pages « Sabahan.comJune 18, 2007 at 6:00 am
  22. By Vito Raliffe posted on July 14, 2007 at 3:03 am

This article saved my life =D One of my articles were so long that the page starting breaking up, so I looked for how to use multiple pages in Google and this was the first thing that popped up! Thanks!

23. By AL posted on December 5, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Hi Gary or anyone else… I’ve created a page which is really long (its a tutorial) and i find that if i use the nextpage tag it does not show the Page 1, Page 2 links at the bottom of the artice/page.

Any help?

24. By BHanu posted on May 31, 2009 at 9:16 am

Hi, this will not work for every template. I have already done all these stuff even more, but no use.

25. By Damir - SEO Tips posted on June 16, 2009 at 7:37 am

To AL and BHanu:
    I have been exploring this as well and same thing happened to me, nothing showed on article/post. Then I found that my template (single.php) was missing some code at the WP codex (http://codex.wordpress.org/Styling_Page-Links) it states that your single.php has to have code in it in order to work. So I did placed that little code under ( …?php the_content(‘Read more »’);…) part and it worked. Hope that will help you.

I’m now trying to get title tags to display different tags on each page as I’m trying to split cell phone review post into review and specs pages. I’m using SEO Title tags plugin. any help?

26. By Damir - SEO Tips posted on June 16, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Sorry the code did not display: php wp_link_pages(); . Of course it goes in between tags.

27. By Giast posted on October 20, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Grazie!! Thank you for this post, very helpful!!

28. By shopfordesigns posted on December 1, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Even I use wordpress for my blog on shopfordesigns but I never knew this trick of breaking long messages into pages.

I will look around and implement this on my blog even though i dont write very big articles.

Excellent post!!! Thanks!!!

29. How To Split Long WordPress Pages and Posts | CoachNotesJanuary 19, 2010 at 1:08 am
  30. By Riyad posted on August 26, 2010 at 5:58 am

I realize this is an older post, but at the beginning of my day-raping journey down the path of “how to add multi-page post support to WordPress” I started with posts like this one and the WP codex to figure out what and
    wp_link_pages did to then find myself spending just as much time hunting down CSS that made page links that didn’t look like garbage.

I wrote up a tutorial covering my whole process with code snippets to get you from nothing to multi-page story support in about 5-10 mins here:

There is starter CSS there too, to get you clean/simple page buttons atleast out of the box, obviously edit to taste.

31. By majalah posted on September 16, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I thought split long post need a wp plugin. But, it only use ‘built in’ wp code.

32. By Steve posted on September 20, 2010 at 10:42 pm

This worked great for me. Thanks!

33. By Keith Varias posted on October 3, 2010 at 5:26 am

Thanks a lot. This is really helpful.

34. By Kristian posted on October 4, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Can I display the pages in the form of dropdown menu? Thanks

35. By intensiveseo.com posted on December 7, 2010 at 10:27 am

I was doing multiple posts for each parts of my article but this trick will save me a lot of time. Thanks for the share!

36. By Ansh posted on June 12, 2013 at 5:39 am

I added this tag but still my next page is not showing… what could be the reason?