Can an Information Geek Survive a Relationship Geek’s Book?

Filed as Features on July 10, 2007 6:00 am

Repost This

As you know SplashPress and The Blog Herald are running the Independent Blogger Book Quest in which I’m reviewing a book published independently — without the backing of a major publisher. In keeping with our mission at the Blog Herald, the books will be about blogging, business, and the work of online professionals. Read this post for guidelines to submit your book for review.

10 Ways to Make It Great!

Blogger Book Quest: 10 Ways to Make It Great!

Title: 10 Ways to Make It Great!
Blogger/Author: Phil Gerbyshak
URL: 10 Ways to Make It Great!

Get this Book: 10 Ways to Make It Great! Product Info

Can an Information Geek Survive a Relationship Geek’s Book?

One of the most memorable moments of SOBCon07 was Jeff Brown’s statement about Kum-ba-ya-ers and business bloggers. No matter who hears me talk about that moment, if they were there, they remember it with a grin of “ain’t it the truth?” That’s because the famous BawldGuy, Jeff, was talking about the preferences folks have toward relationships or information as their personal strong suit.

So, when the time came to talk about the book by the consummate Relationship Geek, Phil Gerbyshak, I thought, perhaps, I was not the best choice. I found the right guy up in Edmonton. He’s Greg Balanko-Dickson, and he’s a self-professed Information Geek, as you can tell by his newest blog, the Remote Control CEO.

Hi Greg! How did go when you, an Information Geek, first met Phil, THE Relationship Geek, in person and in his book?

Phil is an extrovert, friendly, and passionate guy and it shows, as an introvert nothing gets my goat more than meaningless hype and hyperbole. When I first ran across Phil’s site the Make It Great! my guard went up, my concerns were never realized as I realized that Phil was the real deal and lived what he wrote. The same is true of his book, Phil works hard to live 1o Ways to Make It Great!

And when you got to reading Phil’s book did you go right through to the end?

The first Chapter of his book “Begin at the End and Work Toward Today” launches with a bang as he asks the question, “What would you change if you only had one day left to live?” I have to admit that I closed Phil’s book after reading that question.

As someone who has seen more than my fair share of death in my family I knew what Phil was getting at. What I had not realized was just how much “Begin at the End and Work Toward Today” I learned to do that but Phil’s three questions brought greater focus.

So you kept reading and what was your experience?

The greatest personal turnaround for me personally was Chapter Five, “Surround Yourself With This That Can Help You”. Asking for help was not something that was natural because I told myself “I can figure it out.” except it was a pretty lonely existence. This Chapter really helped me be more intellectually honest with myself and others.

I can say that as I have opened up and shared how I am really doing that people really do care and will help. All I have to do is ask.

What is a longer-term value that Phil’s book has contributed to in your life?

I like to say that Phil’s book helped me move from being a little to cerebral at times to traveling the six inch super highway from my head to my heart. As a result my life is fuller, I am living my dream, and Make It Great ! everyday. Thanks Phil!

So you see, Jeff Brown, information bloggers and relationship bloggers, can live together in peace and harmony in the blogosphere! Kumbaya! 1, 2, 3, 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9, 10. Making it great is everyone’s business.

I’m pleased to say that no Information Geeks were harmed in this experiment.
Thanks Greg!

Tags: ,

1. By Jeff Brown posted on July 10, 2007 at 1:58 pm

My Kumbaya-Q has risen immensely since I’ve known Liz, and met Phil at SOBCon 07. :) Now I see my newest challenge is to read an entire book on the subject – I shall prevail. Kumbaya has been a spice that has enhanced my daily walk in the BawldGuy Universe.

Phil is indeed the real thing.

2. By Greg Balanko-Dickson posted on July 10, 2007 at 2:48 pm

The information geek was not harmed, in fact I have prospered and grown as a result of Phil’s book and knowing him. Get the book!

3. By Liz Strauss posted on July 10, 2007 at 3:44 pm

Hey Jeff! Glad to see you have taken on the challenge. :)
    You always do prevail! I have faith in you. On the other hand, I don’t expect to hear you singing. :)

4. By Liz Strauss posted on July 10, 2007 at 3:45 pm

Hi Greg!
    Thank you for supporting my claim that you made it out alive. :) I heard murmurs that you might have been feigning wellnes so as not to hurt my feelings. :)

5. By Greg Balanko-Dickson posted on July 10, 2007 at 9:05 pm

Hi Liz, thanks for the mention and the tip for adjusting the color of my buttons. I also decided to adjust the background color as well. What do you think?

6. By Phil Gerbyshak posted on July 10, 2007 at 9:20 pm

Wow Liz, you did a great job of interviewing Greg. I had no idea I could have such an impact on an “information geek.”

Thanks Greg for sharing yourself in this interview. Wow!

And Jeff – you are also the real deal my friend. Amazing to think of you singing a little kumbaya! I’m here to hug ya man!

7. By Liz Strauss posted on July 10, 2007 at 9:24 pm

Greg!
    I’m thinking that graphic is getting easy on the eyes. It’s explains things nicely. :)

8. By William Profet from OneJobTwoSalaries.com posted on July 11, 2007 at 5:53 am

I think that this book is great. I am going to get it! :)

9. By Adam Kayce : Monk At Work posted on July 11, 2007 at 2:01 pm

That’s a great way to do a review, I love it.

So, Jeff, does this mean we might see a photo of you on your blog sometime soon? ;-)

10. By Liz Strauss posted on July 11, 2007 at 10:53 pm

Hey Phil!
    Don’t be scaring Jeff away!
    He’s barely started singing, man!

11. By Liz Strauss posted on July 11, 2007 at 10:57 pm

Hi William!
    Nice to meet you!
    You’ll enjoy the book!

12. By Liz Strauss posted on July 11, 2007 at 10:57 pm

Adam!
    If you go to Jeff’s blog, he’s now got a caricature of himself there. :)

13. By Jeff Brown posted on July 13, 2007 at 11:43 am

Kumbaya my Lord…….. :)

14. By Liz Strauss posted on July 13, 2007 at 12:40 pm

Jeff!
    What a lovely voice you have, and such an unusual ability to sing in harmony by yourself. :)

15. By Jeff Brown posted on July 13, 2007 at 1:51 pm

Once folks hear me sing, it’s tough to find partners for duets. :)

16. By Liz Strauss posted on July 14, 2007 at 12:43 am

Hey Jeff,
    I can see why. It’s hard to improve on perfection!

17. By BookWise posted on November 6, 2007 at 2:48 pm

I never thought about catagorizing people that way but it makes a lot of sense… I’m going to keep my eye out for that book! Thanks.