This week’s post is different – instead of sharing another “newbie” tip, I’m actually seeking your advice.
Over the past month, I attended two weddings, met many people for the first time, and did much more “offline” socializing than normal.
Upon meeting someone new, the inevitable ice breaker is, “So… what do you do?” followed by the obligatory mention of profession and home state, and ideally, stimulating conversation ensues.
But despite encountering folks from across the country with a variety of interests, I hardly mentioned my blog, Webomatica. A few days after the last event, I realized I missed the opportunity to gain a few more readers.
In retrospect, I neglected to mention my blog because I don’t have a clear explanation or “pitch” – especially one that would be understandable someone who doesn’t normally read blogs. I also lack the simplest of “offline” promotion – a business card.
So in looking for a solution, I have two questions:
- How do you explain “blog” or “blogging” to people who are unfamiliar with the profession?
- What successful, creative methods of real world (offline) blog promotion do you employ?
Here are some ideas I jotted down regarding the second question:
- Come up with a one sentence “pitch” or description of what my blog is about, understandable by the non-technical.
- Design a simple, clear graphic identity specifically for print.
- Create a business card with the name and URL of my website.
- Make some promotional products (stickers or T-shirts) that could be given away or sold via the blog.
But these are just brainstormed notes – I have no idea of their effectiveness. So I turn it over to you, readers: how do you answer the above questions? Or, in simpler terms, how do you market your blog offline?
Pretend I’m someone you’re meeting for the first time at a social event. How would you let me know about your blog and inspire me to check it out?
Lastly, here are some articles I found regarding the subject of offline blog promotion:
- Problogger: Use Newspapers to Promote Your Blog
- Coyote Communications: Market Your Web Site Both Offline and Online
- Online Business Coach Donna Gunter
- Problogger (Tony Hung): How To Market Your Blog In 2007 (see “Connect, Connect, Connect”)
- Bootstrapper: 21 Ways to Promote Your Startup Business (see “Old Media”)
- Anvari.org: Creative Business Card Ideas