Where Do You Leave Your Comments?

Filed as Features on February 4, 2008 11:26 am

When bloggers are quoting other bloggers and you want to comment on the issue, where do you leave your comment?

There are three different options:

1. Comment on the the original post
  2. Comment on the post that quoted the original post
  3. Start a new post and use trackback/pingback to notify the other two posts

Which one do you choose?

This question was prompted by the following situation: Lorelle VanFossen recently quoted from a blog post from Liz Strauss who quoted from an e-mail conversation with Eric Eggertson. This is the original quote

When there’s a lot of discussion in the comments of a post, or if there’s some critical info added in the comments, create a short post quoting the most relevant info and pointing people to the contents of the prior post. This isn’t cheating. It actually really helps people who subscribe via e-mail or RSS, as they may not be aware of what’s being said in the comments.

This quote is now moving from one blog to the other, so where do I comment? While all the blogs quote the same paragraph, they all add their own opinion. While the quote does not change, the context of the quote does change.

Lorelle added to the conversation by making the great observation that

The post helped me understand that while comments are contents, feed readers are missing out on the conversation.

No matter if I comment on the original blog post or on the blog post that quotes, feed readers will most likely not be aware of this comment. Comments are indeed part of the content but most blog software separates comments from the blog post by supplying a separate comment feed.

While it depends on the context where it is most suitable to comment, writing a new blog post never hurts. Not only do you add to the conversation, you also point your feed readers to the ongoing conversation.

What is your preferred place and method to leave comments? Leave a comment, or link us with a new post.

Tags:

1. By Guillermo posted on February 4, 2008 at 11:31 am

It depends… If I want to tell something related to the original post, O comment there. If I find out I can add something useful to the thread at the quoted post, I’ll do it at that place.

2. By Lorelle VanFossen posted on February 4, 2008 at 11:54 am

This idea has been rattling around in my head for a long time, so thank you for giving it the clarity that I just couldn’t find.

Keeping up with the blog conversation is like following a jumping frog across the pond, though the brambles, and in and out of the trees. It’s easy to get distracted and lose the path, yet, the chase is often part of the fun.

Personally, I leave the comment where the comment does the most good. Not for attention, but in response to the blog post and commenters, participating in that moment. If it is REALLY good, I turn it into a blog post – but herein lies the conflict for me.

I don’t necessarily want people commenting on my referencing blog post. I want them to follow the links to where the real action is. Participate there. Maybe those of us who what to encourage the conversation on the blog post that started it all have to be more specific with our directions.

A lot to think about. Thanks again for being the leader in clear thought. :D

3. By yungchin posted on February 6, 2008 at 3:16 pm

I would guess it depends (but, then, I have just about zero experience blogging). If you really have enough substance to add that it deserves a post of its own, then creating a new post makes sense.

As for solving the problem that you’re then forking the discussion: on the blogging platform I use (WordPress), you can disable commenting on a per-post basis. By disabling commenting on your post you prevent a real fork, forcing your readers to go and see the original conversation.

I realise that is a bit artificial, but can’t think of a better solution…?

4. By Ron design posted on April 18, 2008 at 4:22 am

Although I dont build blogs I do build websites, is it possible within blog software to have 2 columns of the same comments i.e. latest post on left and first posts to comments within right column with the original post above it?

5. By Karpacz Tanie Noclegi posted on June 6, 2008 at 6:48 am

Nice Text!

6. By Ernesto posted on June 7, 2008 at 8:29 am

1-866-443-2946

Did George Soros invest in BRIBING CONGRESS TO BAN OFFSHORE DRILLING or are they just doing it to make Bush look BAD? Never underestimate the scumbags we have in Congress.
    They get to demonize BIG OIL and look busy at the same time.

7. By Scott Howard posted on June 9, 2008 at 4:21 pm

Guys a new season of Nashville Star is premiering tonight on NBC right after American Gladiators.

8. By Exidous posted on June 16, 2008 at 9:25 am

alert(1337)

9. By Knut HOLT posted on June 29, 2008 at 5:26 am

If my comment regards the original post, I quote on that.

If mycomment regards the opinions of another commenter, I comment on his post.

If a post has got too long I might start a new post with links to the original.

10. By Khan posted on September 19, 2008 at 11:28 am

Do u wana to get rapidshare and megaupload premium account for free then just open that link and creat ur account on that site and earn $27 in the start and buy ur own rapidhsare and megaupload accounts………………..

Thnks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. By veri kurtarma posted on October 30, 2008 at 10:13 am

I usually comment on the the original post.

12. By lorne campbell posted on December 8, 2008 at 7:52 am

I usually comment on the original post, but I guess it does not really matter. As long as the original author gets credit for the work.

13. By Malinconico Anna Paola posted on December 16, 2008 at 5:00 am

I often comment on the original post

14. By Toby posted on January 27, 2009 at 7:02 am

I leave my comments on the original post.

15. By Sameer posted on March 10, 2009 at 1:29 pm

I leave my comment on the original post!

16. By Tracy Zemlo posted on March 23, 2009 at 11:50 am

I comment on the original article/post.

17. By Jessica posted on April 20, 2009 at 4:46 pm

I’m a huge fan of commenting. Way to go! I think that if people are going to take the time to read your whole post and then they should contribute to the conversation. I comment because I like the stuff people write so whether it’s an original post or not it doesn’t make a difference to me :-)

18. By David Andrew Paton posted on May 28, 2009 at 7:42 pm

I too am a huge fan of commenting. However, I tend to comment on something completely unrelated to the topic at hand in my response. This is invariably because I am very, very drunk at the time of commenting, and I forget what the original post was pertaining to.

More often than not I end up mentioning my genitalia in one context or another.

19. By asdhasd posted on June 9, 2009 at 3:27 pm

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    I realise that is a bit artificial, but can’t think of a better solution…?

20. By Chris posted on June 10, 2009 at 6:31 am

21. By pallet delivery posted on June 12, 2009 at 5:47 am

I think you should comment on the original blog only. Going from blog to blog is time consuming for once and it will most definitely not help you accurately express you thought with the same sharpness, as you’ll end up finding it hard to concentrate when reading other comments, analysing other thoughts, etc…It’s much better to say what you have to say on one comment and start a new one if there is anything new that you’d like to add to the original post.

22. By RAJEEV KUMAR SINGH posted on June 27, 2009 at 1:38 am

TO KNOW SOME KNOWN-UNKNOWN FACTS VISIT:

http:// largestshortest.hpage.com

23. By Vincent posted on July 16, 2009 at 9:50 pm

START A NEW PARTY

I agree with most of your comments, I like many people have also been considering standing as an independent

What we really need to do if we really want to make a change is to start a new party, starting a new party would mean the people have something to relate too,

So I am asking all you people that have left comments on this site
    All you people that what to stand as independent MPs

Please Contact me [email protected]
    As an independent you will have a small impact
    But as a Party we can make a change

24. By Dave posted on July 19, 2009 at 12:01 am

I leave comments at the original post, that too only if I feel the author has missed out some important stuff.

– Dave

25. By Marvin posted on July 22, 2009 at 1:28 am

I ‘am shocked not only at the actions of this policeman ,but also at some of the comments about this . It is very clear that the parents did need help just not this kind of help . The police should’nt be allowed to use this kind of force on any one that he or she is physicaly able to restrain . This child could have been killed i don’t believe that she assulted her mother i am sure there was a confrontation based on the story . Policemen need better training not just on the use of tasers but all around. question? If a person has a HEART CONDITION how would the police know theres no dout in my mind that people have died because of this . In Montgomery Al. there has been more than one case where a person after getting tased died 2-3 hrs. later you tell me!!

26. By Marvin posted on July 22, 2009 at 1:50 am

I ‘ve been held at gun point by the police before a big mistake we were cleaning a building and supposedly there was a 911 hangeup call and this was supposed to be prota call i guess the action taken that is.There was another officer that came to this store before the call was made attempting to make a purchase and could’ve verified the fact that the store was being cleaned and according to him he called 911 as soon as he heard the call go through but the officers on the seen ignored this and continued the course of action harrasing us just because they could so to taser a child running away sounds fimiler to me.

27. By problem-error posted on July 31, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I leave my comments on the original post.

28. By Rewel posted on August 3, 2009 at 4:33 am

I rarely leave comments, but this post is certainly an exception.

Rewel

29. By Bob Simpson posted on August 5, 2009 at 11:41 pm

Hey check it out – my new @ecalender.net domain. I’ll let u in a secret – I think there are many users and no spam protection. Come and see for yourself!

30. By Francis posted on August 6, 2009 at 1:54 am

Your always going to get some important comments that are missed and left unread, thats just the way it is when there are so many comments being left.

I say just enjoy the ones that are there.

31. By asd posted on September 5, 2009 at 8:22 pm

when u r reading this dont stop or something bad will happen! my name is summer i am 15 years old i have blonde hair ,many scars no nose or ears.. i am dead. if u dont copy this just like from the ring, copy n post this on 5 more sites.. or.. i will appear one dark quiet night when ur not expecting it by your bed with a knife and kill u. this is no joke something good will happen to u if you post this on 5 more

32. By Chat posted on September 8, 2009 at 1:49 am

interesting website

33. By Jason posted on September 8, 2009 at 5:50 pm

I comment if i like the post then it don’t matter to
    1. Comment on the the original post
    2. Comment on the post that quoted the original post
    3. Start a new post and use trackback/pingback to notify the other two posts

But generally i post at original post as s/he is right person who deserve the genuine comment about his writing to get or keep motivated for more good postings.

34. By michael posted on September 15, 2009 at 9:33 am

This has helped me very much, I really did not understand separate comment feed for blog comments.

35. By Justin posted on September 27, 2009 at 10:24 am

If there is a nice conversation like there is in your comment section, I will leave the comment on the original post.

36. By Niki posted on September 30, 2009 at 4:43 pm

37. By swkfa posted on October 5, 2009 at 2:19 pm

All Pakistani urdu and english newspapers and magazines,ladies fashion,mobile prices,car prices,funny pictures
    free softwares,free games,islamic kids names,online radio,live tv.sms,forex rates,muslim prayer times,cooking recipes,live cricket

38. By vêtements femmes posted on October 6, 2009 at 1:53 am

I often block the original position. Also be happy

39. By vêtements femmes posted on October 6, 2009 at 1:55 am

我也不知道,自己怎么回事,明明想在一个地方呆久点,却没过几个月就辞职了

40. By vêtements femmes posted on October 6, 2009 at 1:56 am

I don’t know, what happened, in a place to stay long, but a few month quit

41. By dostdost posted on October 18, 2009 at 5:54 pm

42. By gweb posted on October 21, 2009 at 9:42 pm

thank’s for the post but I Love Let comment

43. By Anita Dark posted on October 28, 2009 at 7:53 pm

44. By Hardwood Flooring Orange County posted on October 31, 2009 at 8:06 am

Loved your post. Thanks

45. By Tina posted on October 31, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Why did Agassi had to do this? I cried so much.

A legend or cheat..

46. By Chris posted on November 5, 2009 at 10:15 pm

great post, thanks for the info

47. By Shandra posted on November 25, 2009 at 10:45 pm

It depends on who/which one I want to comment. If I want to comment the author, then I leave it on original page, if comment others comment then I hit reply comment. So, no fix rate lol. – restaurantes madrid

48. By ElderCo posted on November 26, 2009 at 5:30 am

technology consultants

49. By waqas posted on December 3, 2009 at 4:50 pm

I LOVE to write Comments

50. By Kitchens Leeds posted on December 8, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Our web team at http://www.kitchensleeds.co.uk love the Blog Herald. Happy Christmas guys!

51. By Used Cars Manchester posted on December 8, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Wow, people sure do love this page, I wonder why. I love blogging though, so I love your website.

52. By Increase Traffic posted on December 15, 2009 at 8:04 am

Lovely site! Many people love to leave comments, and you article covers almost all the blogtiquette. Some do replies comments, so it really depends.

53. By football shirts posted on December 22, 2009 at 9:36 am

I was just thinking about Where Do You Leave Your Comments? and you’ve really helped out. Thanks!

54. By dostdost posted on December 26, 2009 at 5:02 am

my home page is
    so visit my page and enjoy

55. By Jack posted on January 15, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Wow, people sure love this page! Lovely site.

56. By moneygram scam posted on January 20, 2010 at 11:34 am

Leaving comments are an excellent way to get feedback, just a shame blogger blogspot is not the easisest thing to play around and tweak especially as such things require messing around with the HTML code.

• By kelvin posted on August 16, 2013 at 7:23 pm

JOIN US IF YOU WANT TO BE OUR
      BROTHERHOOD
      The Illuminati contact us
      [email protected] Illuminati is a defunct secret society
      formed by a fervent
      Academic, Adam Weishaupt in Balvaria,
      1776. The cult as its name
      suggests, was a group of intellectuals who
      came together to instill
      discipline in themselves, infiltrate
      government agencies, and create a
      new world order. However, the original
      illuminati was disbanded by the
      government of Balgaria, when all secret
      societies were banned, though
      even before then, strong internal problems
      were already leading the
      illuminati cult to termination.
      That was the 18th century Illuminati. The
      21st and 20th centuries
      also have an illuminati sect which in words
      you are more likely to
      understand, is supposed to sign you up ,
      pull you into their chain of
      command, give you enlightenment, and
      then, power, as you’ll be playing
      sinewy roles in the government. This article
      tries to bring to light,
      facts about the modern illuminati, and also
      helps the reader to join,
      and utilize the opportunities availed by the
      sect, which are
      enlightenment, enrichment, and
      empowerment.
      The illuminati make people rich, famous and
      astoundingly
      powerful. The illuminati, which means
      enlightenment, purges your mind
      of all vestiges of ignorance, backwardness
      and naivety. It brings you
      out of the delusions and illusions which
      you’ve been subjected to by
      your numerous religious escapades, and
      when you are relieved of these
      non-propitious encumbrances, success
      becomes inevitable.
      Knowing that many of us do not
      understand the illuminati as it
      is, I’ll go ahead to expound on this
      wonderful phenomenon and am
      hoping that by the time you get to the last
      paragraph of this article,
      you would be on your way to becoming
      “illuminated”. It would do the
      reader good to note that the Illuminati of
      the 18th century is not the
      same with the modern illuminati. The
      former was a cult, while the
      latter is a consciousness. IF YOU WANT TO BE
      OUR MEMBER YOU CAN email us at:[email protected]

57. By Maxence posted on January 22, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Commenting on others blog is most important thing for a blogger, you get Traffic from it, you get backlink from it, you get new friends from it.

58. By Ginger6 Computers posted on January 25, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I leave my comments on the original post.

59. By Jack posted on February 4, 2010 at 10:28 pm

60. By www.flower.mk posted on February 5, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Leaving comments are an excellent way to get feedback

61. By Vicky Tapia posted on June 11, 2010 at 8:19 am

Victoria Tapia comment on the original post

62. By suzan posted on July 15, 2010 at 3:15 pm

technology consultants

63. By Health and Fitness posted on August 4, 2010 at 4:19 am

64. By blog marketing experts posted on August 4, 2010 at 6:45 am

I choose option #1, I would comment to the original post. Of course, the responding comments form a thread of many different comments to the original post but that can eventually lead to off topic comments from the original post.

So, just to keep with being on topic and relevant to the original post, I choose to comment there. It certainly helps to keep everything relevant there!

65. By Ike Youngstrom posted on October 5, 2010 at 11:14 am

thank very much for this great blog;this is the kind of thing that hold me arouse through out my day. I’ve been look around for this site after I hear about them from a buddy and was please when I was able to bump it after searching for some time. Being a avid blogger, I’m dazzled to see others taking initivative and contributing to the community. I just want to point out to show my appreciation for your website as it’s very appleaing, and many writers do not get credit they deserve I am sure I’ll visit again and will spread the formulate to my friends.

66. By Mobile Hard Drive  posted on October 18, 2010 at 4:14 pm

forex rates are fluctuating wildly these days~-.

67. By admin posted on December 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I’ve been look around for this site after I hear about them

68. By MAK posted on July 5, 2013 at 1:26 am

hey guys ,,,i m missing christmas event

69. By ketan posted on July 25, 2013 at 8:23 am

wow,this is good to get feedback for our site because every one want good feedback for its work or service so leave comment is one of the best way to get expected feedback

70. By mr cambell posted on August 30, 2013 at 1:26 am

FREE VISA AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE AND TO AND COUNTRY OF YOUR CHOICE
    email us at:[email protected]
    Each year more than 50, 000 applicants are selected for the lottery
    program, in order to account for those that are unable to pursue the visa.
    Even if selected, some individuals are ineligible to obtain a visa, and
    thus being selected for the program does not guarantee that you will obtain
    the visa. The most common reason for being ineligible after selected is a
    lack of a high school diploma, or two years of work experience in a job
    that requires at least two years of training.BUT IT NOW OUT FOR EVERYONE You do not need a lawyer in order to participate in the diversity visa
    lottery (Green Card Lottery) program. However, the chances of your
    application being rejected due to error may be greatly reduced by hiring a
    lawyer to prepare your green card lottery application. Each year, millions
    of applications are rejected due to not following the guidelines set by the
    Department of State. but now for free to each of any one of you.and beware
    of the internet scams
    to apply your own email us at:[email protected]

71. By James Stare posted on September 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Your post is something really awesome! I just can add one, that not everyone are successful in affiliate programs. But everything changes! Few mounth ago I found interesting cources and I wish share it with You. Maybe it will be useful for some one. You may find courses here: http://stare-software.com/solutions/affiliate-marketing-lessons.html

72. By shushraj posted on October 6, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Commenting on blogs is a nice job.