Will You Wait for WordPress 2.5.1?

Filed as Features on March 10, 2008 9:25 am

Repost This

As we get closer to the next version of WordPress being released, one of the things that keeps popping up in my mind is whether or not the first release will be stable and secure enough to use. Previous major releases have had their problems and like most desktop software, it can be better to wait for the point one release after a new version. Will WordPress 2.5 be the same?

I know many people who are going to wait a week or two to see what the opinion of the Support Forums seems to be, but will people wait long enough that WordPress 2.5.1 is released?

With all the new features and the design overhaul of the WordPress administration panel, will you be on the cutting edge and upgrade right away, wait a few days, or wait until WordPress 2.5.1?

Another group of people I want to mention are those that aren’t looking forward to upgrading at all because of the administration panel design changes. I wonder how many will cling to WordPress 2.3.3?

Please Vote and Comment Below

1. By Guillermo posted on March 10, 2008 at 12:02 pm

I will stick to 2.3.3 by now and in the meantime I will learn from all of you, early adopters…

2. By yoshi posted on March 10, 2008 at 12:18 pm

I’m one of those who isn’t too keen on the new look of 2.5.

but honestly, I’ll probably end up upgrading once all the plugins i use are updated.

3. By Jeremy Steele posted on March 10, 2008 at 12:26 pm

Switching to custom CMS within a month hopefully… no need for WordPress anymore :)

4. By Michael Castilla posted on March 10, 2008 at 1:42 pm

WordPress 2.5 ASAP! I’ve been waiting a while for something new and even though the new Dashboard style sucks, it won’t stop me or anyone else from restyling it a bit :)

5. By Dan Cole posted on March 10, 2008 at 2:08 pm

I’m going to wait a week or two because I don’t want to update twice if they find a bug or hole in the software. Besides that it’s not on the top of my list of things to do.

6. By Nate posted on March 10, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Sticking with 2.3.3 until I die.

7. By SE7EN posted on March 10, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Maybe until I’m sure that all of the plugins I use are compatible with 2.5

8. By Chris Osborne posted on March 11, 2008 at 5:23 am

I’ll wait until 2.5.1 unless it’s out for a good while, in which case I’ll go ahead and update.

What I’m worried about is my theme mostly. I don’t have a lot of plugins so that would be a short fix for me. Guess I’ll install the new one locally after a bit and see how it goes.

9. By Andy Merrett posted on March 11, 2008 at 11:15 am

What I’d be interested to know is whether WordPress.com automatically updates to 2.5 ?

10. By Lorelle VanFossen posted on March 11, 2008 at 4:42 pm

@Andy Merrett:

Automatically? It won’t upgrade “automatically” but it will upgrade. What we don’t know is how much notice we will get or if we will just wake up, check out blog and shout “FINALLY!” :D

11. By will posted on March 29, 2008 at 12:59 pm

I have far too many very valuable plugins that absolutely must migrate to 2.5 before I even consider upgrading. Some of those plugins are not from big names or are very popular so I fear it may be a while before making the move.

12. By Alastair posted on April 25, 2008 at 11:01 pm

Well, here’s v2.5.1, now we can upgrade! :)