Google Delivers 2% of World’s Malware

Filed as News on July 24, 2008 12:27 pm

The 2008 first half Security Threat Report, published by computer security company Sophos, has identified Google’s Blogger as being responsible for 2-percent of the world’s malware.

Apparently, hackers are setting up free blogs that host malicious code. You’ll also find evil links lurking in the comments section.

According to Google:

“Using Blogger, or any Google product, to serve or host malware is a violation of our product policies. We actively work to detect and remove sites that serve malware from our network.”

The United States received the distinct honor of being the home of the most infected Web pages (accounting for two out of every five). Following behind are China, Russia, Germany and the Ukraine. Let’s hope we carry this winning streak into the Olympics!

Up next, the infiltration of your mobile device. I can hardly wait.

Tags: , , ,

1. By Travis Seitler posted on July 24, 2008 at 3:09 pm

“The United States received the distinct honor of being the home of the most infected Web pages (accounting for two out of every five).”

Okay… but isn’t the United States *also* home to the most web pages, period?

2. By Rhett Soveran posted on July 24, 2008 at 3:16 pm

So are you saying that, even though I am Canadian, my site is hosted by an American company and in turn I may be inadvertently helping America win the Olympics? :D

3. By Lorelle VanFossen posted on July 24, 2008 at 7:52 pm

@ Travis Seitler:

Actually, I believe Japan and China hold that honor. :D And it depends upon the definition of “home” which isn’t clear in this article. Is home where the blogger resides? Or is home where the reseller sold the web server hosting? Or is home where the web server service is based? There could be a different answer to each of those, but this is not the issue at hand.

The issue is who is creating the evil on the web. Blaming the United States is a bit odd in this report. US citizens may or may not be behind the evil doing activity, though their web pages might be hosted on servers based within the United States boundaries. I wonder how they really tracked that information, don’t you?

4. By Brian Sherwin Myartspace Blog posted on July 31, 2008 at 12:23 pm

This is one reason why I have to moderate comments.

5. By Jenny posted on November 3, 2008 at 1:53 am

Keept it running best.
    If you own a computer, you must have antispyware to keep it running at its best. The problem is choosing a scan that works. I have tried many different types of scans in the past and then I ran across Search-and-destroy. I have to say that the antispyware solution from Search-and-destroy is the best that I have used to date. It gets the job done and keeps my computer working like new. If you are interested in seeing for yourself just how good this antispyware works you can click on search-and-destroy to learn more. I’m sure it would be worth your time to check it out.

6. By Mario posted on November 5, 2008 at 10:37 am

Ther perfect solution.
    Are you searching for antispyware at an affordable price? Then look no further. I have the perfect solution for you. I have found a scan that works as well as Norton and other scans that are more expensive. If you are interested in learning more then you can go to search-and-destroy and see for yourself what the antispyware solution from Search-and-destroy has to offer. I’m sure that you will be very happy with Search-and-destroy because I was and I have tried many different types of scans in the past. It’s a wonderful solution to that will help protect your PC.