ReadWriteWeb: Top Tier Bloggers Make $25 Per Post

Filed as Features on October 10, 2008 3:00 am

ReadWriteWeb asked 20 top-tier bloggers how much money they make, and analyzed the data. Naturally, the span is great, but the average top tier blogger made $25/post.

RWW also analyzed in-house bloggers, either employed, or with special contracts, and got the following:

Our respondents reported annual pay rates ranging from $45k and $55k with benefits (!) up to $70k, $80k and $90k with bonuses. We’re tempted to say, based on the anonymously submitted but descriptive replies we got, that the closer to pure journalism our respondents were doing the lower their wages were.

For more, like where the big money is, check out the post.

Now, what does this mean?

Professional bloggers work a lot, and I do mean a lot. RWW got an hourly wage at $20-$35 when doing the math for the in-house bloggers, and they get that kind of surprisingly low number by the fact that most successful bloggers put down 50-60 hours each week (compared to 40). Now, I’m not sure what you can be expected to earn in the US, but if you’re an expert in your niche (which most probloggers try to at least seem to be), $35/hour doesn’t sound too good. For instance, when I do consulting work in Sweden, we’re talking some $200/hour. I’m not earning that much when I’m blogging, obviously, and should I focus on what makes the most money, you’d see me writing a lot less. Luckily, I like writing, although not everybody enjoys it, but that’s another story.

Besides, my $200/hour doesn’t sound so bad when RWW talks consulting. $300 is obviously the most common hourly wage among the top tier 20 they talked to, so I’m actually cheap to hire, it seems! I wonder what the number would be if we looked at web, and blog in particular, design?

As someone being milked by one of the world’s highest tax pressure’s (Sweden), I have a hard time digesting these numbers. So based on this, can you make a decent living blogging in the US? What do you think, and how low would you go?

Tags: , ,

1. By Jeffro2pt0 posted on October 10, 2008 at 3:53 am

David and I discussed this on episode 7 of Perfcast and although some big numbers were thrown around, these are after all the top tier bloggers so the big numbers are to be expected. What if those 20 bloggers are the only ones making decent money? lol

2. By Jon posted on October 10, 2008 at 4:09 am

Nice follow up to the RWW piece, which I read earlier. In Google Reader there for a moment I thought I was reading RWW’s feed.

I put in about 30 hours a week on this thing and I think so far this year I have earned about USD300. That was 250 for one article I wrote and the rest from google(not much there but then again i don’t push ads too hard on the site).

Luckily I have some IT support work with long-term commitments which bring me from 22-46 dollars per hour, and some web and design consulting that has paid me around 500 an hour(sporadic though).

But blogging, how cheap would I go? I’d do Wordout regardless.

3. By John posted on October 10, 2008 at 4:10 am

How unbelievably ambiguous. For a start no the article didn’t say “top tier bloggers make $25 per post” it said that the average was $25, so there are those making a whole lot more.

Secondly, they may have asked 20 of them but they only got a response from 10 – which you failed to mention.

Such a small group is not an accurate or scientific representation of the industry as a whole.

4. By Kelly McCausey posted on October 10, 2008 at 9:15 am

Thanks for the post and connecting me to another great blog.

For John above – do you really expect a blogger to repeat an entire article just to discuss the points he found interesting? He gave you a link for a reason – so you could read it! Truly unnecessary criticism.

5. By John posted on October 10, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Kelly, no you’re right I don’t expect a blogger to repeat an entire article – I expect him to write his own (and that’s just for starters). Tell me how much longer it would have made his article if the title weren’t abiguous, and the article included “out of 10 respondants”.

I didn’t need the link for a reason, because I’d already read it, which by the way, is how I knew what it said.

Truly moronic comment.

6. By Thord Daniel Hedengren posted on October 13, 2008 at 2:32 am

John, keep it civil please.

I didn’t say it was a scientific study, and I’m pretty sure that’s obvious even for readers who won’t read the RWW piece. It’s an interesting observation on behalf of RWW, and something to discuss. What others are making on writing blog posts is something a lot of people are interested in, and obviously a lot of supposedly big names are trying to appear more important than they are, if payment is any measurement at all.

Current ye@r *