Share Your Favorite WordPress Theme?

Filed as Guides on February 11, 2009 4:18 am

Together with a client I am working on setting up around 30 new blogs. This has meant scouring the interwebs for WordPress themes so all of these new blogs look unique and differentiated. There is only so much damage I will be allowed to do with my “mad design skills”!

It got me thinking, I wonder if the lovely and brilliant Blog Herald readers could help? Which are your favorite WordPress themes?

It’s no secret that I am a fan of Chris Pearson’s work, in particular I have written endorsing his DIYThemes Thesis, but also I love the free CopyBlogger theme, and his other themes like Cutline, Press Row and Neoclassical.

TDAge WordPress Theme

TDAge WordPress Theme

I shouldn’t leave out the TDAge theme created by Blog Herald’s resident designer that has a distinctive typographic look.

Please share your favorite WordPress theme(s) in the comments!

1. By Bryce posted on February 11, 2009 at 5:07 am

I love the Vigilance theme.

2. By monkey posted on February 11, 2009 at 5:20 am

I love my blog’s theme.

3. By Sally posted on February 11, 2009 at 5:40 am

Thesis rocks!

4. By Rebecca Laffar-Smith posted on February 11, 2009 at 5:51 am

I love the clean lines and sharp appeal of most of Brian Gardner’s themes. Some of the elements in Arthemia by Michael Jubel are nice too, particularly the four-part sidebar.

I actually wrote a post on four blog themes I like and why on Writer’s Round-About.

There are so many fantastic themes already available, but nothing beats having a custom theme to call your own. :-)

Beware of adopting a theme that is loved by everyone because lots of people will use it and your blog will lose one of it’s strongest branding opportunities. You want your theme to be unique and memorable.

5. By Marc posted on February 11, 2009 at 6:16 am

I’m a big fan of Chris Pearson’s themes as well (Pearsonified.com); Cutline, Neoclassical and Copyblogger in particular.

So it should come as no surprise that my favourite is Thesis

6. By Bengt posted on February 11, 2009 at 6:19 am

I love Vigilance that I use on my blogs.

7. By Big posted on February 11, 2009 at 8:20 am

I really like the one located at Theme Zeke 10 Widgets.

Additionally, the theme I use for my blog was initially for WordPress, but ported over to blogger. I like my theme mainly because it is simple and clean.

Good luck, picking 30 different and unique themes definitely requires some degree of it!

8. By Ryan Imel posted on February 11, 2009 at 10:36 am

I actually just released the theme today that I’ve been using for all of my blogs. It’s called Mocha Theme. I won’t go as far as to claim it’s better than any of the ones already mentioned, but if you are looking for a fresh look for a number of themes, it might be one way to go.

Good luck.

9. By Lindsay posted on February 11, 2009 at 1:05 pm

For a simple theme – I like the Basic at Free WordPress Themes

I also like Statement by Blog Oh! Blog which can be seen on PaHotSheet.com

Also check out the Simple Pro Theme by WTheme

10. By Lindsay posted on February 11, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I just checked out the Vigilance theme – it is really great – thanks for sharing – I am definitly going to use this in the future.

11. By infmom posted on February 11, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I love TechLand. It’s easily and infinitely customizable.

12. By Darsh posted on February 11, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I will stick with Thesis until something better comes around. Ease of customization and great support for the Thesis theme will make me stick to Thesis for a long time to come.

13. By marti garaughty posted on February 11, 2009 at 3:11 pm

hi Chris, having tried them all including designing from scratch… for power, versatility, looks, SEO and ease of use (both on my blogs and for my clients) right now I’m exclusively using Ian Stewart’s WP framework ThemeShaper ( http://themeshaper.com ) to design on.

14. By Sue posted on February 11, 2009 at 7:10 pm

My favorite theme designer is Nate at refueled.net I use his Ad Clerum v2 theme.

15. By Sam posted on February 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Another vote for Thesis, which I use on all three of my sites.

I also think the guys at WooThemes have some nice stuff too.

16. By Simon posted on February 12, 2009 at 1:13 am

I like the Grid Focus theme. It’s minimalist, with a very simple structure and it’s been great for a newbie like me to really get my feet wet in css and a little php. I haven’t managed to break it yet and although there’s lots more I’d like to do with it it suits my needs fine for now.

17. By Dr. Vikas Sharma posted on February 12, 2009 at 6:20 am

I ve customised a revolution theme called magazine …to me it is the best

18. By Chung Bey Luen posted on February 12, 2009 at 10:12 am

I’m a Thesis Theme lover. It’s a SEO friendly theme and more importantly, it’s easy to customize the them with hook. Somemore, there is a large community talking and support this theme.

19. By reactlab posted on February 13, 2009 at 4:44 pm

I too am a fan of Derek Punsalan’s Grid Focus http://5thirtyone.com/grid-focus. Nice minimalist look, fully customizable and free (keeping with the spirit of the WordPress GPL and opensource community ethos).

20. By Patrick D. posted on February 13, 2009 at 9:31 pm

I use Azeem’s White As Milk on my personal blog (http://www.patricksays.net) and I love it. The simplicity is amazing.

21. By Jonathan posted on March 14, 2009 at 5:56 pm

The I3Theme is by far my favorite! http://www.i3theme.com

22. By derek fisher posted on August 11, 2009 at 1:18 pm

my favourite themes are LightWord, Atahualpa, iNove

23. By Robert posted on September 25, 2009 at 4:36 pm

I started designing wordpress themes just recently. There is one I made that I have a particular fondness for, it is called Eclipse and it is a clean, clear, dark theme on a transparent background that reveals a hex-grid below it.

Current ye@r *