I am not one for negative posting but sometimes I have to vent. This is one of those days! :) Here are my top 5 social media gripes … for today:
- Rants about who is and is not a social media expert - I agree that tooling around with Facebook or Twitter does not an expert make, but really, does it matter if someone says they are an expert but do not meet your strict definition? I have seen so many posts on this it is getting tiresome. They always seem to come to the conclusion that the only social media expert is the author of the post explaining why everyone else is not. Here is a clue, if you have bash everyone else to get ahead then you likely need to work on your own messaging.
- Retweeting praise about yourself – You wouldn’t go into a room and say “hey folks, Jake just said this really nice compliment about me, listen up!” would you? So why would you retweet a compliment instead of just saying thanks? I am all about the self promotion but I think there is something a little over the top about retweeting praise. For other people, cool, for yourself .. not so much.
- Direct message and @reply spam – I follow people who interact with me, but not if I go to your twitter stream and see you sent the exact same message to a million other people.
- Viral games that spam you with @replies and direct messages - One of the reasons I do not like Facebook much is all the silly stuff and “invitations” to stuff I am not interested in, please do not soil Twitter with this too!
- Hash tag hijacking – When I follow a hashtag about a conference, I am not too excited to see random unrelated stuff just because the Twitter user thinks they will get more exposure that way.
OK, I feel better for getting that out of my system!
Feel free to disagree or add your own in the comments …