Are you tired of seeing no or very less comments on your blog posts? Do you feel sad when you find out that no one wants to spend his 2 minutes in leaving a comment on the post which took hours of your efforts? If the answer to above questions is Yes, then here is good news for you, on average more than 80% of blogs suffers from “No Comments” disease. And to help you in getting rid of it, we’ve compiled a list of 18 types of posts that always gets lot of comments.
But before jumping to the list, what you need to understand is that number of comments is not an accurate index to measure success of blog. There are many other factors that determine the success of a blog – traffic, affiliate sales, advertisers etc. And if you can see a consistent increase on those departments then there is no reason to worry about comments. Now without further adieu, here are the 18 types of posts that can get you the maximum number of comments.
1. Giveaways/Competition/Freebies – Posts about giveaways and competitions are undisputedly one of the biggest comment getters. Want to see an example? Check any mommy blog and you’ll get an idea. Most of these competitions ask reader to leave a comment and winner is picked randomly from the comments. Bigger is the prize, more will be the number of people (comments) participating in it.
2. Promote yourself post – Who don’t love free exposure? We all love it. I know. Give your readers a chance to promote themselves. Here is an example – Promote Yourself And Share What You Do!
3. Lists and Useful resources post – No other marking campaign can beat a useful and well researched list relevant to your niche in getting number of comments and links. Such lists can easily go viral and can help you in building a loyal following. Example – 30+ principles to a better landing page design
4. Rants/Opinionated posts – Rants or opinionated posts give you an opportunity to express your opinions strongly on anything relevant to your niche. For e.g. – if you’re internet marketer you can express your opinions about any affiliate company. If you’re a doctor you can express your opinions about health laws etc. The more strongly you’ll express your opinions, more will be the chances to get comments. Example – Seth Godin Tries Out Brandjacking
5. Readers generated posts – Posts which are generated with the help of readers are likely to get more comments as compared to general posts. Because, you won’t be alone in promoting this post, your readers (co-authors) will be actively promoting it too. Example – 51 Tips For Saving Money On Technology
6. Series of Posts – Series of posts have a great power to keep the readers engaged. Not only they help you in breaking longer posts in to short ones and explaining things in a better way, but also help you to build a loyal following for your blog. Example – Website Traffic Series at DailyBlogTips
7. How-to Guide posts – Does your target audience is facing a common problem then write a detailed How-to guide on it covering solutions that can help them in solving their problems. Example – How to Blog: Blogging Tips for Beginners
8. Group Writing Projects/Blog Carnivals – Act as a host of group writing project (Blog carnival) where readers can write something on their blog and will come back to your blog with a link. You can link to then all the participant’s entries with an excerpt. Example – MelvinBlog’s Best Blog Marketing Tip Contest
9. Personal Stories/Motivational posts – Personal stories about yourself that can motivate your readers can easily attract the interest of your readers and make them to leave comments. Example – I used to be FAT until I had A Duodenal Switch
10. Humorous/Funny posts – Posts that can make your readers laugh can also force (in a good way) them to leave comments. Example – This is why I don’t clap along
11. In depth/detailed posts – In depth posts covering every single point related to the topic. These are high quality posts which help bloggers to establish his credibility in niche. Example – How to Backpack
12. Creative posts – Creative posts in which bloggers have tried to cover something which a reader has never heard of (or think of). Example – 53 CSS-Techniques You Couldn’t Live Without
13. Ask a question post – Ask a question to your readers. Asking a question that readers are interested in answering can easily increase the number of comments by 2-3 times. Example – Ask the readers section at GetRichSlowly
14. Interview post – Interviewing leaders of the niche to get them to answers some of the most common questions of the industry. Example – Link Building with the Experts – 2010 Edition
15. Real-time posts – Posts about hot trends and latest happenings that are taking place in the niche. Example – Thoughts on Google Instant (It is also an opinion post)
16. Reveal a secret post – Reveal a secret posts is a great way to attract some attention (and unwanted attention too) of the industry and to increase the number of comments. Example – An interview with Digg top user
17. Debate posts/controversial posts – Launching a debate about some hot topic between your readers and to see what happens. Example – Google Instant Makes SEO Irrelevant
18. Relatable posts – Posts from your life which your readers can easily relate to. Example – Why men should give women flowers
These are the 18 types of posts which usually attracts more comments than other posts. Now go to your blog and share with us the links to your most commented post in the comments below.
Guest Bio: David Smith works for Conversion Optimization Company Invesp and enjoys writing on SEO, landing pages, conversion rate optimization and affiliate marketing.