The Automattic has announced the launch of wp.me shorturls for WordPress.com hosted blogs. According to Matt Mullenweg the wp.me shorturl is different from other services such as tiny.url or tr.im who had their 5 minutes of fame last week.
- WP.me is the only two-letter .me domain in the world
- Every blog and post on WordPress.com has a WP.me URL now
- These are all exposed in the using rel=shortlink
- It doesn’t work for any URL in the world, just WP.com-hosted ones
- The links are permanent, they will work as long as WordPress.com is around
- WP.me is spam-free, because we are constantly monitoring and removing spam from WP.com
Other than the restriction of only being available to WP.com users, WP.me sounds like pretty much any other shorturl service to me. Most bloggers will not care about the
rel="shortlink" code in the header nor will most users bother thinking long term if their links will still work in a year. But all credits to the Automattic team to cover most angles for their users and keep adding services to their platform, making WP.com better and better on an almost daily base.
Author: Franky Branckaute
Franky is CEO, Editor and 21/7 Muppet on Duty at Splashpress Media. Occasionally he even sleeps. More sporadically even he also blogs about the professional online life at iFranky. He also is regular Guest Lecturer on all things blogging and ‘web 2.0’ish’. Follow him on Twitter.