Hurricane Katrina missing persons appeal

Filed as News on August 31, 2005 9:33 am

by Duncan

I’ve received the following comment in the post about Hurricane Katrina today, I don’t know whether its legit or not, but I can say one thing, the images of the bloke (I believe from CNN) who spoke about how his wife had been swept away, and before she was lost told him to look after the kids and the grandkids is the sort of thing that would bring the tear to the eye of anyone. It makes you appreciate how lucky you are to be safe and well.

From our comments:
Please help me find Dottie & Jay Thompson. Picayune, MS. White Cypress Subdivision. Barry 803-397-4497. [email protected]

If you’re looking for someone who is missing or lost please feel free to leave your detalis in the comments. I’m not a very religous person (I’ll defer to Darren on this one) but our prayers and thoughts are none the less with you.

Update: post here in the comments in case you miss it: looking for family, Trish Peyton, Heather Hatten, Richard Scott, Patricia Maliongas, or any of my family that can tell me if everyone is ok. [email protected]

what ever we can do to help.

Update: More requests in the comments. If you can help please do. Weblog Empire politics blog Donklephant is also getting requests from their readers as well. Please drop by to Donklephant (here) as well if you’re looking for loved ones or looking to match people up. A lot of distraught people out there with missing loved ones.

Further update: if you are interesting in suggesting a charity worthy of reader contributions across the Weblog Empire network please let a comment on this thread: Hurricane Katrina donation suggestions

Extra: John Evans, who writes the Weblog Empire blog the Windows Vista Weblog has an great post over on his person blog Syntagma

More: a lot of comments here already. If your looking for a loved one, or are able to provide information please scroll through the comments. There are a lot, but it all helps. The good news is we’ve already reunited people. Please, post your comment here and dont email it to me, if you do have a good news story from the comments here email me a [email protected] God speed.

1. By P MCCay posted on September 6, 2005 at 4:54 pm

I hope each and every loved one is found.

I am searching for my granddaughter, her mother, and her grandmother. If anyone has info regarding the well being, or location of my loved ones please please let me know. My home # is 1-256-420-2360 . Looking for Rebecca Spiers, Danielle Spiers McCay, and my granddaughter Alexanderia (Alex) McCay. Thank you for your help in this matter.

2. By blanque ALLAN posted on September 6, 2005 at 6:38 pm

He is looking for any of his family they can reach him at 580-584-5573

3. By Milo family posted on September 6, 2005 at 10:13 pm

any with the werabouts of the milos of baton rouge

4. By Janice McMillan posted on September 6, 2005 at 10:28 pm

Looking for William and Evelyn Edwards from Gulf Port, Miss. They were last heard from on Monday before the storm. They were in a shelter. If you hear from them please tell them to call janice and Mack in Alabama.

5. By D. Christy Lopez-Evans posted on September 6, 2005 at 10:59 pm

Looking for Annie Ruth Evans family from Gulfport, Mississppi. Antonio,Orlando or Robin, please let us know that your family is Okay.
    We in Iowa are concerned. Thank you for any infomation-(641)357-1374 0r (641)423-4957 OR(641)424-3636. Our prayers are with you. Please pass this message on to you folks in Gulfport, MS.

6. By Michelle McCown -Luster posted on September 6, 2005 at 11:18 pm

Hello My name is Michelle I have two daughters and married aand two dogs. I would love to open my home to a child who lost both parents or a small family of two.. I don’t have much room but would love to help anyone in need. I also would take any amount of dogs that need some foster care or a home .. I have aa big heart and know how it feels to live with someone missng.. My sister Niqui McCown has been a missng person for four years. I want to help any who needs help for the last four years no one has really helped my family.. There are angels from God aand I think the ones that give and open there homes must be angels.. May God bless all that Katrina hit and there love ones around this world and also God Bless America.. Thank you Michelle

7. By Joann Dews posted on September 6, 2005 at 11:41 pm

Hi I’m looking for a Mary Robertson she is around 46 she have a daughter name Tiffany i think she have two kids

please contact me at 409 670-0565

please let us know how ya’ll are doing we miss you me mrs Joann Dews Robert Jr dews

8. By mark smith posted on September 7, 2005 at 1:06 pm

please help me locate my two daughters theresa v. smith and stephanie o. smith i’m really worried about them if anyone has heard about them please write me back to let me know how they are doing and tell me about there family at this time.

9. By mark smith posted on September 7, 2005 at 1:09 pm

also the number where i’m at is area code 281 593 0601 also their mother’s name is cortina l. smith grand mother is vivian brooks her sisters name is nellie brooks please write back with some info.

10. By Dave posted on September 7, 2005 at 1:25 pm

Any news of Rose Anrews, long time resident of Cox Ave, Long Beach, MS please.

11. By Will posted on September 7, 2005 at 5:26 pm

Looking for information about Lauren Thomas who lives just north of Carriere

12. By Patricia posted on September 7, 2005 at 6:45 pm

looking for George and Paula Reid and Charles and Lindsey Fiegel
    from Bay St. Louis,Mississippi.

13. By Karla C. posted on September 7, 2005 at 8:05 pm

Just wanted to say that I received a call from my dear friend Philip Vaughn & Family and they said that they are ok. Thank you for letting me post my information. Thank You Karla

14. By Kim Chowning posted on September 7, 2005 at 8:25 pm

15. By desiree posted on September 7, 2005 at 9:41 pm

i am looking for moma yola

16. By pam strickalnd posted on September 8, 2005 at 8:51 am

bobby and marie strickland, please contact us we are worried about all of you. ben and pam 904-845-4723 priss 904-751-2618

17. By lisa jackson posted on September 8, 2005 at 9:15 am

Please Help Im looking for my family that was located in Terry Town, LA

Iua Jean Goins Green B.O.D 10/23/1952 Mother
    Children melvin 9/2/85
    Aurora 2/8/90
    Iua 2/26/91
    Ashley 6/21/93

18. By Shellie posted on September 8, 2005 at 9:52 am

FOR ANY ONE LOOKING I FOUND THOUSANDS OF NAMES AT GULFCOASTNEWS.COM YOU CAN SEARCH FIRST OR LAST NAME AND CITY

19. By bridget posted on September 8, 2005 at 1:35 pm

BRIDGET IS LOOKING FOR PAT AND PATRICK THEY WERE IN THE HAMMON LOISIANA AREA .ALL OF THEIR FRIENDS WANT THEM SAFE AND SOUND HERE IN MEMPHIS WITH US…..

20. By P MCCay posted on September 8, 2005 at 2:42 pm

I Am looking for my daughter-in-law Danielle McCay, her mother Rebecca Spiers, and my granddaughter Alexandra McCay. It does not matter what circumstances may be We will come and get you, help you and take care of you. If anyone knows where abouts of these three loved one PLEASE let me know. If anyone can tell me the conditions in Carriere, Ms. I would appreciate that information. Plan to leave this week to trave to Carriere Ms and search for my family.
    Thank you so much for any info and God Bless

21. By Fernandez, John posted on September 8, 2005 at 3:15 pm

John Fernandez is looking for Lekisha Fernandez. John is in Dallas @ the convention center. his voice mail # is 214-694-9659.

please help me find her.

Damon Wilson is my grandson.

Malik Fernandez

These spellings may not be correct. I am not sure, but my daughter has my 2 grandsons with her.

22. By Laurel Robbins posted on September 8, 2005 at 6:12 pm

I would like to hear from my long-lost friend, Kay Melancon and her SO, Cole Perry, and her two sons Joshua & Kalib Charles; anyone at Country Day School, Metairie. LA, in particular Brenda Silverstrim. I’d like to know if y’awl are ok. Please call me at: 954-588-6838 Hoping y’awl are safe. Call me!!

23. By paul casto posted on September 8, 2005 at 8:24 pm

I’m looking for a friend of mine: M. (Skip) Brunet..Skip has driven Tank Trucks for LTC and for Quailty Carriers .His home phone 504-392-3822 of coarse now is not working and I never had his home addressSkip is one fine man.I would appreciate hearing anything about him or his family.So if anyone knows of him ,please respond to [email protected] possiable leave me a number or another way to contact him/family.The Mtn’s of WV are calling to help. Tell Skip I have found a place to buy TURKEY NECKS up here…THANKS

24. By Ronna bentley posted on September 8, 2005 at 9:02 pm

I have sister name is Lindsey geart sister name lindsey 17th old
    and my aunt patty uncle margan my grandfather name is ronnie
    dean otta adkins jodyce jeant Died died my uncle dean we love miss you and very much we love you ronna’s uncle dean we love miss you and thay parying god lod funeral home buy flower vacca Died buy and that you we love miss you all my heart you like my will hope soon you like ronnie dean margan vacca otta patty you are you miss you and that you like my miss you and that you like uncle
    dean miss you you are my life you are my heart you will soon foster Died you we love miss you too you like my heart

25. By Ralph & Joni Tiffany posted on September 8, 2005 at 10:12 pm

We would like to know if the William Hudson family from Diamondhead, MS needs any help. We are inquiring about William, Sharon, Kathryn and her sister. Please contact us to let us know you are ok. We have been calling and not able to get through by phone due to hurricane. Let us know if we can be of assistance. Prayers are being said, The Tiffanys (Aaron’s parents) 636-326-9608 (home)

26. By Norm & Irma Bideau posted on September 8, 2005 at 11:51 pm

It has been devastating to read of the unknown numbers of lives lost and the suffering brought about by Hurricane Katrina. We have tried to contact a couple that lived next door to us before moving to Slidell, LA.
    Their names are: Phil and Vera Rutledge. We pray for that which we can give from this distance to be of help, comfort and support to those who have been able to survive this disaster.

27. By jose gal posted on September 8, 2005 at 11:59 pm

any seeing or talking to Rosalyn she live in Baton Rouge she is 18 0 19 years old she is black please call me 214 502 8159

28. By Maryann Harmon posted on September 9, 2005 at 12:43 am

Kathy Dodge Walters Martin is well at her home in Hattiesburg.

29. By Edwina posted on September 9, 2005 at 10:16 am

We are looking for Cheri Brott & her daughter Sydney of Long Beach, MS also her mother of Pass Christian, Cheri lived on Allen Rd in Long Beach. Please let us know if they are ok

30. By Peggy Burton (Garner) posted on September 9, 2005 at 10:41 am

Tom was looking for Harriet Weymouth, a good friend. I believe she is my second cousin. If her first cousin was Robert Burton and her sister was Rose Weymouth, she is related to me. I would like to follow up on this. I also wondered if she were ok. I am concerned, so please follow up and re-post, Tom. Thank you

31. By Tom posted on September 9, 2005 at 1:54 pm

Thanks for responding, Peggy. Harriet’s sister is/was Rose–who died about 10 years ago. I know she had some relatives, cousins, in N.C., I think. However, never knew who they were. They both mentioned visiting them during Christmas holidays and I think they went to stay with them during several hurricanes. I’d love to speak with you. Email me ([email protected]), or you may call me at 952-448-4638. If I’m not here, leave a message and I WILL return your call. Perhaps together, we can locate this dear person.

Tom Heath

32. By Dave Cooke Of UK posted on September 9, 2005 at 5:41 pm

I am so sorry to hear of the troubles you are all goaing through at this time. I find it hard to understand how a country of such economic power cannot manage to support and help it’s own but is able to spend so much life and money in areas of the world it does not truly understand. Bush please look to your people and start to help

33. By María Ramírez posted on September 9, 2005 at 5:57 pm

I´m looking for Rex, Claudette and Laura Cranston, they live in D´iberville ms, happy landing lane street, if someone know anything about them please contact me at: [email protected], they are my family, and i´m deseperate to find them. I was an exchange student four years ago, and the Cranston family open their house and hearth to me. So mom, dad, sis, please send me a mail, call me, just make know you´re ok, don´t know what else i can do, ´cuz i´m in México. Praying for you.

Maria Ramírez

34. By dshando posted on September 10, 2005 at 9:10 am

The Katrina Data Project – Helping Bring Order to a Hurricane of Data – ONE CENTRAL DATA BASE!

A common format and master data store to collect and aggregate missing/searching/safe lists is now in place and running at full speed by a large group of qualified volunteers at The Katrina Data Project! Over 42,000 persons and their information is safely and securely entered already!

It’s very cool that so many different people and organizations have stepped to the plate and helped establish searching/safe/missing person’s lists… donating their time, talents, and resources to try and help other people in this crisis.

However… we’ve almost got a case of too many cooks in the kitchen here. With so many different websites, lists, and forums… it’s quite possible for people to pass like ships in the night… within 10 feet of each other, but completely unaware of each other. You might post your “searching for” info on one site… and your family might have already posted that they were safe on another. Because the two sites aren’t talking to each other… you’re not going to find each other that way.

To make sure you’ve looked everywhere.. you need to go to well over 100 different websites and do exhaustive searches on each, sometimes in forums, sometimes by plying through a huge alphabetical list, sometimes by clicking on hundreds of forum posts looking for the person you seek. There is a better way. even if you find who you’re looking for… there is so much data out there that needs to be brought together so it can be provided to relief organizations.

The Katrina Data Project ( http://www.katrinadataproject.com/index.aspx) has created a data specification to use when capturing information on missing persons, modeled after police missing person’s reports, to try and capture as much relevant information about people in a format that is organized, standardized, documented, and interchangeable. Click here to view more info on the Missing/Safe Person’s File Specification (http://www.katrinadataproject.com/data.aspx).

In addition, they are offering to import into one central location (their database) any data which can be provided to them in this format, and asking that sites which have been collecting data dump to their central location and link to their data entry page so they can maintain a central “master” data repository. We can’t keep growing 50 different silos that aren’t talking and sharing data or sweeping it to a central location!

If you run a site that’s collecting information, contact them so we can all work together!

Rhonda – Web Manager @ Storm Survivor List.com (http://www.stormsurvivorlist.com/)

35. By Karen Melvin posted on September 10, 2005 at 10:36 am

Looking for my old friend Melva Odom from Buras, LA.
    Hoping she and her family are safe. I would love to have them come stay with me, in PA, if they need a place to go. Please contact me.

36. By Dom posted on September 10, 2005 at 12:50 pm

Regarding Deily’s–we understand they are fine. Just visited Carriere last Wed. and was told that the Deily’s are fine. Could not reach them by phone. Regarding Hide-A-Way Lake many trees down, some on homes, however no serious damage to homes. Water only, very limited power, no phones, many cell towers down.

37. By lou posted on September 11, 2005 at 1:02 pm

If anyone have information on the redman family of neworleans please let me know if they are alright.