Jason Calacanis Resigns from AOL

Filed as News on November 16, 2006 11:56 pm

The news was initially broken by TechCrunch although the details could not be confirmed. If the following statement from Jason’s blog isn’t enough for you,

I’ve gotten a bunch of press folks contacting me about my future at AOL now that Ted Leonsis and Jon Miller are no longer with the company. I’ve got nothing to say about that right now, so consider this an official “no comment.”

the New York Times just confirmed the news.

In recent months, Mr. Calacanis said he was considering leaving AOL to start a new company. His decision to resign was hastened by the news that Time Warner, AOL’€™s parent, had replaced Mr. Miller with Randy Falco, the president of the NBC Universal Television Group.

‘€œI’€™m not inclined to start over with a new guy,’€? Mr. Calacanis said in an interview on Thursday. As for what to make of the treatment of Mr. Miller, who discovered he was being replaced after a reporter called AOL asking about Mr. Falco’€™s appointment, Mr. Calacanis said only: ‘€œI’€™m perplexed. Why now?’€?

For my personal take on the developments as they were happening, please head over here.

Tags: ,

1. By Tony posted on November 17, 2006 at 12:13 am

Re: the NYT: But of course, there’s been no official confirmation from the J-Cal himself. As almost-certain it all is, I just don’t see how the NYT can claim it as fact. They certainly don’t make mention of any new sources — and J-Cal himself hasn’t said anything on his blog yet.

2. By Muhammad Saleem posted on November 17, 2006 at 12:16 am

“In recent months, Mr. Calacanis said he was considering leaving AOL to start a new company. His decision to resign was hastened by the news that Time Warner, AOL’s parent, had replaced Mr. Miller with Randy Falco, the president of the NBC Universal Television Group.”

I think they actually talked to him, because they say that he said that he was considering leaving. And then they go on with the article as if it were business as usual.

“I’m not inclined to start over with a new guy,� Mr. Calacanis said in an interview on Thursday. As for what to make of the treatment of Mr. Miller, who discovered he was being replaced after a reporter called AOL asking about Mr. Falco’s appointment, Mr. Calacanis said only: “I’m perplexed. Why now?�

3. By Tony posted on November 17, 2006 at 12:30 am

I’m splitting hairs here, but that quote with “I’m not inclined to start over with a new guy” could me anything.

From my understanding, there’s nothing confirming it — no one can reach him by IM for a definitive answer, nothing on his blog or podcast, even though it was mentioned on Valleywag that that’s where the announcement would be made.

I’m sure its all but certain (and this is all splitting hairs), but I don’t see anything in the NYT article which nails it for me.

4. By Muhammad Saleem posted on November 17, 2006 at 1:26 am

I just talked to Jason Calacanis, and he has confirmed the accuracy of the New York Times article. He also said that he is confident that he has left both the Weblogs Inc. properties and Netscape.com in very able hands. He will continue to be a part of Netscape.com, but just on the other end.

5. By Tony posted on November 17, 2006 at 2:35 am

Then let me eat crow! (MmmmmmmM!)
    Also, an official announcement on calacanis’ own blog:
    calacanis.com

6. Practical Blogging » Blog Archive » Jason Calacanis Left AOLNovember 17, 2006 at 3:06 am
  7. By John Evans (SYNTAGMA) posted on November 17, 2006 at 5:44 am

He’s also left Blogsmith behind. He must be feeling almost naked this morning.

8. By Thord Hedengren posted on November 17, 2006 at 6:28 am

Or boosted, ready to get crackin’ on something new. A fresh start can be a real thrill.

9. By chartreuse posted on November 17, 2006 at 8:02 am

Look for him to talk about his new project, a Digg-like search engine, soon.

10. TimeForBlogging.com » Blog Archive » Net News LinkfestNovember 17, 2006 at 2:49 pm