Shutdown Day Returns. Will You Pull the Plug?

Filed as News on April 28, 2008 11:35 am

Repost This

Last March the Internet went dark as Shutdown Day arrived. OK, not really. But about 50,000 people opted to leave technology behind to pursue other endeavors.

This year, the event is back, this time on Saturday, May 3.

It is obvious that without computers we would find our life extremely difficult, maybe even impossible. If they disappeared for just one day, would we be able to cope?

Be part of one of the biggest global experiments ever to take place on the Internet. The idea behind Shutdown Day is to find out how many people can go without a computer for one whole day, and what will happen if we all participate!

I know what will happen…my blog traffic will drop. But the founders of the non-profit organization are thinking bigger than that.

Shutdown Day was founded with the sole purpose of spreading awareness about the pitfalls and dangers that lie in the excessive use of television, computers, and computing equipment like game boxes, cell phones, music players, online social websites, etc. that impinge on social space and interaction amongst our communities.

Want to take part in the second annual event? Pledge your allegiance to pulling the plug – at least for a day.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. By chrispian posted on April 28, 2008 at 12:00 pm

You can pry th internet from my cold dead hands!

In hopes to balance things out, I’ll make sure I’m online with 2 computers that day!

2. By Adam Christie posted on April 28, 2008 at 2:15 pm

I try and leave the PC off every saturday anyway, along with trying to keep the TV off. If I can switch off my mobile phone and avoid the news too it helps me feel properly unplugged. Nothing is that urgent.

3. By Michael posted on April 29, 2008 at 12:03 am

I would turn off my computer for the whole day, and it would be good for me, but since I need my computer to work I think I’ll just try and use it less than I normally would.

4. By Adrian L posted on April 29, 2008 at 9:02 am

It’s a Saturday in May. Most people I know will be out enjoying spring!

I’ll be going to a wedding, so I won’t be online at all.

My girlfriend and I regularly ‘unplug’. Too much ‘net is just overwhelming. It’s nice to reset.

5. By H.A. posted on May 3, 2008 at 4:01 pm

I’d love to, but I have major computer commitments today.

Though I pledged to turn it off tomorrow. Does that count?