Arrington Calls For Fake Follow on Twitter

Filed as News on August 7, 2008 1:09 am

Repost This

Michael Arrington calls for a Fake Follow feature on Twitter, and similar on FriendFeed for that matter, so that he can stroke people’s egos. What? I actually makes sense:

[...] there are a lot of people who for some reason are greatly offended when you don’t reciprocate a follow/subscribe on Twitter or FriendFeed. When this happens (and it happens a lot), you have a choice – deal with the fallout (”that guy is such a jerk”) or just friend the person and avoid the pain.

I’ve had some of those myself, and I think Arrington i pretty spot on with the need for a less friendly follow on Twitter. It just becomes too much to handle, both for yourself and, I suspect, for Twitter when you’ve got 300+ followers. Or wherever, it probably depends on who you follow too. The story notes that Twitter “might” adopt something like this, and FriendFeed’s got features coming out to cope with it.

Tags: , , , ,

1. By Ryan Imel posted on August 7, 2008 at 1:28 am

While I think I understand the drive behind wanting this feature, I don’t think it’s the answer. I mean, the problem is that people don’t know how to handle the idea that someone may not want to follow them. As bloggers/leaders we can (and, I think, should) offer up an explanation as to why the follow didn’t happen, and be kind about it, for sure. But giving a halfway point isn’t solving the real problem in the situation.

I suppose I’m drawn this direction because I like to see problems fixed instead of worked-around. And, when it comes to using these platforms myself, I don’t like how that clouds the other side of my interaction. When it says that someone has followed me, I want to know what that means. I don’t want to have to do mental jumping jacks to try and figure out whether the person really friended me or not.

Thanks for the heads up. I can’t bear to read much TechCrunch anymore, so it’s nice to have the crazy stuff mentioned elsewhere, so I don’t miss out.

2. By Thord Daniel Hedengren posted on August 7, 2008 at 8:21 am

Happy to help, Ryan! ;)

Thanks for your comment, and I do agree with you of sorts.

3. By Michael posted on August 7, 2008 at 11:11 am

It is an interesting sounding idea but I don’t agree with it, I think what would make more sense is just for FriendFeed and Twitter to just wait it out until the users start to realize that it isn’t a big deal if someone doesn’t follow you back. And, don’t forget that if you use Twitter on your cell phone most of the time you can follow someone but not receive device updates from them.

4. By raj posted on August 7, 2008 at 12:39 pm

That’s totally absurd. Don’t effing use social media if you can’t/won’t follow the rules. It’s ABOUT making connections. If you can’t figure out how to deal with the situation when you don’t reciprocate, you shouldn’t bother using it.

Robert Scoble has no problem following thousands of people. Why is Arrington so special that he needs a fake follow?

5. By Marx posted on November 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm

I would like to see the inscription “to be continied”:-D

6. By Joy-Mari posted on January 21, 2009 at 3:37 am

I’ll unfollow whoever follows me out of pity. But I guess I won’t ever know when that happens. Oy.

7. By romonoeroetoko posted on July 8, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Hm that sounds good but I would like to know more details.

8. By romonoeroetoko posted on July 15, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Your news is a cool stuff man, keep it going.