WordPress 2.7 is at beta version 3 and will be released by the end of the month, so rumors fly. Expect an announcement at WordCamp Australia by Matt Mullenweg this weekend. WordPress 2.6.5 is a security release – update now. WordPressMU also updated. BuddyPress about to release December 15. WordCamps are heating up for January and the first few months – filling up fast so get your registration in now for one near you. Some WordPress 2.7 release parties are forming. And more WordPress news.
WordPress 2.6.5 Released: A security release of WordPress has come out and you are highly recommended to upgrade now, rather than wait for the release of WordPress 2.7. The release version is 2.6.5, not to be confused with the malicious version, WordPress 2.6.4. WordPress 2.6.5 tackles an XSS exploit that impacts only IP-based virtual servers running Apache 2.x and three other fixes. You can upgrade the whole thing, or just the five files which have been changed.
WordPressMU Updated: Donncha reports that WordPressMU 2.6.5 has been released to include the XSS vulnerability fix.
BuddyPress Scheduled for December 15: According to a note in the BuddyPress Forums, the social networking WordPress Theme especially for WordPressMU versions has a feature freeze in preparation for release on December 15, 2008, a much anticipated release.
WordPress 2.7 Development News: While some in the United States took a couple days of rest and family time for the Thanksgiving holiday, work continued on WordPress 2.7 due out the end of November, though it might be a week into December. WordPress 2.7 Beta 3 is the latest testing version released. A newly redesigned login page has been developed with screenshots available around the web.
Other articles and news about WordPress 2.7 include:
- The Results of Project Icon for WordPress 2.7
- WordPress 2.7: Project Icon
- Jacob Santos – 10 WordPress Features You’ll Never Care About
- Technosailor – Screenshots from WordPress 2.7
- Technosailor – 10 Things You Need to Know About WordPress 2.7
- WordPress.com – If WordPress 2.7 Was A Movie…
- Getting Ready for WordPress 2.7: Really Simple Category Styling
- Ryan Boren – WordPress 2.7: Getting Ready for Public Beta
- WordPress 2.7 UI Configurability from Ryan Boren
- WordPress Codex – Keyboard Shortcuts
- WPHacks – New Page Menu Function and Sticky Posts in WordPress 2.7
- Nathan Rice – Definitive guide to Sticky posts in WordPress 2.7
- WordPress 2.7 Feature List
- WordPress Usability Testing in New York
- planetOzh: WordPress 2.7 Featuring Your Favorite Actions
- WordPress 2.7 Navigation Survey from Jane Wells
- Shortcuts/Favorites Menu from Jane Wells
- Justin Tadlock – Making your theme’s comments compatible with WordPress 2.7 and earlier versions
- Mark Jaquith – WordPress 2.7 Feature Preview: Publish Module (UPDATED)
- Customizable Post Editing Screen from Mark Jaquith
- OP111 – Ten New Features in WordPress 2.7
- Ottodestruct – WordPress 2.7 Comments Enhancements
- Sivel – Separating Pings from Comments in WordPress 2.7
- ThemeShaper – WordPress Child Themes and
- WordPress 2.7 Trac Milestone
- Weblog Tools Collection – Child Themes in WordPress 2.7 – Part 1 and Part 2
- The New 2.7 Dashboard
- The Visual Design of 2.7
- Usability Testing Report: 2.5 and CrazyHorse
- WordPress 2.7 wireframes
- WordPress 2.7 Development Updates
- WordPress Development Updates from Jane Wells
- WPHacks – Keyboard Shortcuts in WordPress 2.7
- WordCamp NYC: Matt Mullenweg on the State of WordPress also gives a walk through of WordPress 2.7 (video)
- Devlounge – Getting Ready for WordPress 2.7: Sticky Post Styling
- WordPress 2.7 and beyond from Matt at WordCamp Utah
- Nathan Rice – Is My Theme 2.7 Compatible?
- Jacob Santos on the hazards of customizing Themes in WordPress 2.7
- CrazyHorse Presentation at WordCamp SF
FireFox Screen Grab to WordPress Extension: Download Squad has replaced their old screen capture technique with the Screen Grab to WordPress FireFox Extension, an extension that not only grabs screenshots but it sends the images directly to your WordPress blog from within FireFox. It should speed up the process of adding screen captures to your blog tremendously. I’ll be researching and reporting on this soon, so watch my blog.
Will Automatic Upgrade Work With Your Web Host? WordPress 2.7 will feature the new Core Update automatic upgrading for WordPress, but can your server handle it? A article on the WordPress Codex, the online manual for WordPress Users, “Core Update Host Compatibility” explores whether or not the new feature will work with a specific web hosting company. NOTE: The upgrade feature may not work when updating to WordPress 2.7, but designed to work after upgrading.
Fake WordPress Malicious Site: Take care when searching for WordPress that you do not end up on a fake WordPress site. Wordpresz.org looks like the WordPress site but isn’t. The version of WordPress you download has malicious code in the download that opens a backdoor to your blog. If you upgraded WordPress to 2.6.4, you are running a fake version. There is no WordPress 2.6.4. The latest version is 2.6.3. This is just the first attempt and Automattic is looking at ways to keep users informed and warned, but pay attention to details and check the URL carefully before downloading WordPress.
Learn the Jargon on WordPress: If you are new to WordPress, check out WordPress Semantics – Learning the Jargon, a great article on the WordPress Codex, the online manual for WordPress Users, that introduces you to the proper names for all those parts and pieces on WordPress. While people may call it the Dashboard, the Dashboard is just one panel within the WordPress Administration Panels. Using the right names for things helps when asking for help on the WordPress Support Forums or writing articles about using WordPress.
Don’t Let WordPress Get in Your Domain Name: A number of WordPress fan and “get-rich-quick-with-WordPress” sites have been starting up lately using “WordPress” in their domain name. This is in violation of the WordPress trademark. Before you do the same, reconsider. If you find a site using WordPress in their domain name, remind them of the trademark rules so they won’t be asked later to remove it.
The WordPress Podcast: Episode 47: WordPress 2.7 Beta 3, WordCamp Australia, bbPress 1.0 also included WordCamp and WordPress.com news with Charles Stricklin and Jonathan Bailey, with guests, Anthony Cole and Sam Bauers, discussing WordCamp Australia.
WordCast Podcast: WordCast 37: Nigerian Indians is the latest episode and includes some politically correct (and not) fun with a variety of WordPress, blogging, and totally unrelated goodies. They talk about how parents can stay connected with their child in Europe, the Sideblog WordPress Plugin versus Tumblr, WordPress spam tools or spam makers, web hosting with WordPress, and Speckyboy’s WordPress video list.
WordPress Weekly Podcast: Weblog Tools Collection: How Many Cans Of Worms? is the latest podcast debating a variety of WordPress topics and news including WordPress 2.7 Beta 3, why WordPress 2.7 is not WordPress 3.0, Project Icons, integrating WordPress Plugins into the core, adding a Twitter ID field to comments, and more.
Last Week’s WordPress Wednesday News: Can’t get enough WordPress news and tips? There is so much news coming out about the latest version, so you can catch up with the past news in last week’s WordPress Wednesday News: Beta 3 Released, WordCamp Australia, No WordPress 2.6.4, and More.
WordPress on Your Calendar
WordPress Meetup or WordCamp Near You? If you are putting together a WordPress event, please email me so I can publicize it here. If there is a WordCamp near you, go. If you are interested in setting up a WordCamp, stay tuned for news and information on to bring a WordCamp event near you.
Here are some WordPress-related dates and events to put on your calendar.
- WordCamp Australia – Sydney – November 29-30, 2008
- WordPress 2.7 Upgrade Party – December 1, 2008
- Gulf Coast WordPress/Blogger Meetup – Mobile, Alabama – December 4, 2008
- Toronto WordPress Meetup – Toronto, Canada – December 6, 2008
- WordPress Installation Step-by-Step – South Florida WordPress Meetup Group, Pompano Beach – December 9, 2008
- Manchester WordPress User Group at MDDA – England – December 11, 2008 (Manchester WordPress User Group on Google Groups)
- The Boston WordPress December Meetup – December 18, 2008
- The Dallas/Ft. Worth Area WordPress December Meetup – December 27, 2008
- Toronto WordPress December Meetup – December 27, 2008
- WordCamp Las Vegas 2009 – Las Vegas, Nevada – January 10-11, 2009
- WordCamp Indonesia 2009 – Jakarta, Indonesia – January 17-18, 2009
- WordCamp Whistler 2009 – Whistler, BC, Canada – January 24, 2009 (Facebook)
- WordCamp Higher Ed North East – Worcester, Massachusetts – February 2, 2009
- WordCamp Miami 2009 – Miami, Florida – February 22, 2009
- WordCamp Denver 2009 – Denver, Colorado – February 28, 2009
- WordCamp NOLA – New Orleans, Louisiana – April 10-11, 2008
- WordCamp Denver 2009 – February 28, 2009 (Facebook)
- WordCamp Jena Germany – February 14, 2009
Upcoming WordCamps not scheduled or confirmed:
- WordCamp Indy (Indianapolis)
- WordCamp Augusta
- WordCamp Seattle (WordCamp Seattle Twitter)
- WordCamp Argentina
- WordCamp Perú
Upcoming WordCamp and WordPress Event News
WordCamp Australia News: WordCamp Australia in Sydney is this weekend, November 29-30, 2008. It features Matt Mullenweg and Jane Wells, along with top notch WordPress local folks from all around the country.
WordCamp Las Vegas: If you are heading to WordCamp Las Vegas, the hosting hotel, Palace Station Hotel & Casino, has a discount for lodging if you Book Online or by phone at 800.634.3101 and use the discount code PCIWCLV before December 10, 2008. Hurry before it’s too late and registration for the event is filled. It’s expected to be a very exciting WordCamp with blogging and WordPress stars mingling with the stars of Vegas.
WordCamp Whistler: WordCamp Whistler January 24, 2009, is seeking sponsors for this incredible WordCamp, a mix of skiing, photography, and WordPress. It is set in one of the most beautiful ski resorts in the world. There is now a Facebook event set for those wanting to sign up, as well as a WordCamp Whistler Barcamp Page.
WordCampNOLA: WordCampNOLA in New Orleans has been announced and a Twitter account set up to generate interest. They are looking at scheduling the event in March 2009.
Past WordCamp Events
WordCamp ED: The first WordCampED for educators was held in Washington DC this past weekend and was a great success. More news, videos, and information will be featured here next week. The next education WordCamp is WordCamp Higher Ed North East in Worcester, Massachusetts, on February 2, 2009.
WordCamp Charlotte: WordCamp Charlotte welcome and Mark Jaquith’s slide shows are up and available for viewing on the WordCamp Charlotte site, along with Promotion Panel – Corey Creed on SEO and Content is King – Sarah Aarthum. An amusing moment was had for many with a man stuck in an elevator during the WordCamp event.
WordCamp Israel: WordCamp Israel 2008 (English) was last week and had more than 500 attendees for a very successful event in Tel Aviv.
WordCamps and WordPress Meetups Everywhere
- WordPress Meetup: A WordPress Meetup is a frequent meeting of WordPress fans. If you would like to start a WordPress Meetup group, find a meeting place and announce it among your friends, and add a listing to the Yahoo Upcoming events for WordPress and WordPress Meetups Upcoming Events and tag them “WordPress Events” and “WordPress”, as many track WordPress event announcements there.
- WordCamp: A WordCamp is a day or two long event with sponsors and dozens if not hundreds of WordPress fans gathering annually. If you would like to sponsor or host a WordCamp, check out the new official site for tracking WordCamps is WordCamp Central, which includes instructions and guidelines for running a WordCamp. Get a Twitter account and add a listing to the Yahoo Upcoming events for WordPress and WordPress Meetups Upcoming Events and tag them “WordPress Events” and “WordCamp.
- WordPress and WordCamp Event News: In addition to our weekly Blog Herald WordPress Wednesday News, you can learn more about the various WordPress and WordCamp Events on the official WordCamp Central site, The WordCamp Report, Yahoo Upcoming events for WordPress, WordPress Meetups Upcoming Events, and Upcoming: Public events tagged with “WordCamp”.
WordPress Plugins and Themes News
YouTube Goes High Quality and So Does Viper Quicktags Plugin: Viper007bond announced that YouTube has added high quality videos and other features, and he has updated the Video Quicktags WordPress Plugin accordingly, which allows quick and easy embedding of a variety of videos in your WordPress blog.
Designing Your Image Captions: Michael Kubler’s Blog describes how to design the new WordPress image captions within your WordPress Theme.
Understanding WordPress Nounces: Vladimir Prelovac offers “Improving security in WordPress Plugins using Nonces” as a guide to help you understand how WordPress uses nonces (number used once) to protect Plugins against cross-site request forgery (CSRF) hacker-attacks. If you are a WordPress Plugin developer, especially using AJAX, it’s important you understand the security risks involved in using nounces.
Interesting WordPress Plugins:
- OfflineMode WordPress Plugin displays a “currently under maintenance” page to your visitors if you are working on your site.
- Hide Admin Icons WordPress Plugin works with the new WordPress 2.7 Administration Panels and hides the icons.
- Quizzin WordPress Plugin creates quizzes with any number of questions with many answers.
- Best Posts Summary WordPress Plugin generates a summary post of your best posts, based upon number of comments or visits, over a specificed time period. Interesting way to promote your most popular posts.
- Event Calendar 3 WordPress Plugin displays a dynamic calendar with upcoming events in the sidebar or a Page.
WordPress Techniques and Tips
Here are some interesting WordPress tips I’ve found as I explore the web looking for WordPress resources:
- Building a Multi-Author Blog with WordPress
- How to use WordPress as a Truly Customized CMS (Multiple Headers, Footers, Sidebars and more!)
- Make a Mobile Friendly Version of Your Blog with Google Reader
- WordPress Archive that *works*: StepxStep Guide and Plugins
- Wicked WordPress Archives in One Easy Step!
WordPress Tips on Twitter: I’ve started sharing WordPress Tips I’ve collected over the past couple years on Twitter at @lorelleonwp. I’ll be posting one WordPress tip link every morning (PST) covering recent versions of WordPress and WordPress usages and features.
Want to Write a WordPress Tip and See It Here? If you would like your WordPress tip and technique included in this list, see Tips For Writing Good WordPress Tips and Writing and Publishing Code In Your WordPress Blog Posts. When its ready, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WordPress Community News
Things You Need to Know in the WordPress Community:
- WordPress Facebook Community: WordPress on Facebook
- WordPress Schwag for Sale: WordPress Shop
- WordPress Bugs: Reporting Bugs in WordPress
- Online WordPress Manual: WordPress Codex
- Have Your Say: WordPress Ideas
- WordPress Experts Found: Automattic WordPress Consultants List, WordPress Jobs, and the WP-Pro mailing list
- Help Installing WordPress: Installing WordPress for Free
- WordPress Logos: The official WordPress logos are available for use on your blogs or WordPress event promotions.
- WordPress is Trademarked: You are not allowed to use WordPress in your domain name
- WordPress is WordPress: It’s spelled “WordPress” not “WordPress”. Oh, and Plugin is Plugin, not plug-in (what you put into a wall electrical socket).
Past WordPress Wednesday News Reports
- WordPress Wednesday News: Beta 3 Released, WordCamp Australia, No WordPress 2.6.4, and More
- WordPress Wednesday News: 2.7 Delayed, Sneak Peak Video, Help WordPress iPhone, WordCamps
- WordPress Wednesday News: WordPress 2.7 Beta 2, Danger WordPress Faker, and More WordCamps
- WordPress Wednesday News: WordPress 2.7 Soon, Security Upgrade, PodCamp-WordCamp Hawaii, PollDaddy, and More
- WordPress Wednesday News: WordCamp News, WordPress 2.7, Lester Chan Plugins Famous, Super Cache Updated
WordPress News Sources
- WordPress Planet
- WordPress Development Blog
- WordPress.com Blog
- Weblog Tools Collection
- The WordPress Podcast
- Lorelle on WordPress
- Planet WordPress from Planet Ozh
- WordPress Publisher Blog
- Planet WordPress Canada
- The WordCamp Report
If You Are Reading This: If you are reading this blog post NOT on the Blog Herald or from within your feed reader, it is being used against the copyright policy of the copyright owners. Please report it immediately so action may be taken to break some heads and feed scraping blogs.
Each Wednesday on Blog Herald is WordPress Wednesday, featuring the news around the WordPress Community. If you have a WordPress news item or tip to suggest, please contact me at this special email address: email@example.com