WordPress Plugins reach 100,000 milestone. Jane Wells working to build new WordPress Community team where everyone can help WordPress. Lots of tools to search for WordPress help out. iPhone for WordPress new version in testing phase. WordPress 2.8 delayed to April 1. PollDaddy has new API and Twitter tool. Want to publish a WordPress Plugin review for the Weblog Tools Collection blog? And a lot of news for WordPress Plugin and Theme developers.
WordPress News Changing: Your input is needed to help the Blog Herald WordPress News evolve. See “Changing the Blog Herald WordPress News: Your Help Needed” to share your thoughts on the shape of this weekly report.
WordPress Plugins Crack 100,000: According to Westi, WordPress Plugins reach a great milestone and surpassed 100,000 subversion repository check-ins. At 8:17am GMT, Jeff Yen checked in the Google Maps GPS Link WordPress Plugin and goes down in WordPress history with the 100,000th Plugin check-in. Congrats!
There are currently 4,245 Plugins, 22,152,788 downloads in the WordPress Plugin Directory. Have you searched for any interesting Plugins there recently?
Help WordPress Development: Jane Well is asking for help from the WordPress Community and you are invited to join. At WordCamp Denver, she presented a program on community involvement, opening the door to more non-developers to help WordPress develop, helping with quality control, documentation, ideas and opinions, user experience, graphic design, accessibility, usability testing, community organization, and WordPress.tv.
Firefox Users Rejoice in Ability to Search WordPress Codex: WP Codex Search for Ubiquity is not a WordPress Plugin but a Ubiquity Plugin. Ubiquity is a Firefox extension that adds extreme functionality and usability to your web browser, changing how you surf, work, email, and function on the web. Coming Ubiquity and WordPress, Vladimir Prelovac has created this add-on to Ubiquity that will allow fast and easy searching of the WordPress Codex, the online manual for WordPress Users, to help you find the information you want and need with little effort from your browser.
Don’t forget the WordPress Helper Firefox Extension you can add to your browser to help you find WordPress help and advice, as well as other development and coding tools.
WPLookup – Another WordPress Codex Search Tool: WPLookup.com is a new service that works with OpenSearch with browsers to look up WordPress documentation and functions within the WordPress Codex, the online manual for WordPress Users.
WordPress Release: The most recent version of WordPress is WordPress 2.7.1, a maintenance release. If you are using WordPress 2.7, take advantage of the automatic built-in upgrade.
Improvements to WordPress Support Forums and bbPress: WordPress Tavern recently pointed out that MichaelH’s recent review and recommendations for the WordPress Support Forums and WordPress.com Forums and Sam Bauer responded with answers to upgrading BBPress project with those points in mind as a “thing to do” list. Hopefully, we will see improvements and changes in the forums, and those benefits passed on to the popular forum program. I recently covered bbPress news, tips, and Plugins.
Would You Like to Review a WordPress Plugin? Weblog Tools Collection is inviting people to submit their reviews of their favorite WordPress Plugins for inclusion in the Weekly Plugin Review. Weblog Tools Collection is a foremost resource for WordPress news and information. Why not help promote a favorite Plugin and help support WordPress Plugin authors.
WordPress 2.8 News: WordPress 2.8 release has been delayed until April 1, 2009. The WordPress Development team is working on a long list of version tickets and patches in preparation for the Release Candidate of WordPress 2.8. There is a list of features, changes, and improvements in the WordPress Codex, and Jeff Chandler offers a preview of some of the changes.
iPhone for WordPress News: The iPhone for WordPress Beta 2 release for Version 1.2 is ready to go and testing is underway.
Flash Security Vulnerability Warning: F-Secure reports there is a security vulnerability with Adobe Flash, specifically a Adobe Flash Player remote code execution vulnerability which impacts several versions. Many WordPress Plugins rely upon Flash, as do many WordPress blog. It is recommended you upgrade Adobe Flash accordingly.
Last Week’s WordPress Wednesday News: Are you just catching up now to our Blog Herald WordPress News? Check out the past news in last week’s WordPress News: WordPress Wins at Irish Blogger Awards, WordPress Events Everywhere, WordPress for PowerPoint, Flash Security Issue, Feedburner Deadline.
WordPress on Your Calendar
WordCamp News: Jeff Chandler recently published “What I Learned From WordCamp Denver,” his experience of watching WordCamp Denver through the eyes of the BitWireLive live streaming from the lobby of the event as well as watching the Twitter tweets and live blogging. It’s an interesting look at a WordCamp event through the eyes of a “non-participant” – showing us how far and wide a WordCamp goes to make an impact. You can watch the live interviews by BitWireLive on Ustream.
WordPress Meetup or WordCamp Near You? If you are putting together a WordPress event, please email me so I can publicize it here. If there is a WordCamp near you, go. If you are interested in setting up a WordCamp, stay tuned for news and information on to bring a WordCamp event near you.
Here are some WordPress-related dates and events to put on your calendar.
- Ft Lauderdale – South Florida WordPress March Meetup User Group – March 11, 2009
- Las Vegas WordPress Meetup – March 12, 2009
- Austin, Texas – SXSW 2009 – March 13-22, 2009
- Southern California WordPress Meetup – Long Beach – March 15, 2009
- WordPress BBQ Meetup at Conjunctured – March 15, 2009
- Arizona – The Scottsdale WordPress March Meetup – March 15, 2009
- Utah WordPress Meetup – March 18, 2009
- Las Vegas WordPress Meetup – March 19, 2009
- Ferndale, Michigan – March WordPress Meetup – March 23, 2009
- Atlanta, Georgia – Atlanta WordPress Users Group – March 24, 2009
- New York City WordPress Meetup – The Wonderful World of Widgets – March 24, 2009
- Seattle WordPress Meetup – March 24, 2009
- Las Vegas WordPress Meetup – Thursday, March 26, 2009
- The Dallas/Ft. Worth Area WordPress March Meetup – March 28, 2009
- The Chicago WordPress March Meetup – WordPress Plugins – March 28, 2009
- Atlanta, Georgia – Atlanta WordPress Users Group Meetup – March 28, 2009
- North Carolina – Greater Charlotte Area WordPress Group March Meetup – March 28, 2009
- Alameda, California – The East Bay WordPress March Mash-up – March 29, 2009
- The New Jersey WordPress April Meetup – April 1, 2009
- Las Vegas WordPress Meetup – April 1, 2009
- New Jersey WordPress Meetup – April 1, 2009
- Gulf Coast WordPress/Blogger April Meetup – April 2, 2009
- WordCamp Hong Kong – April 5, 2009
- New Orleans, Louisiana – WordCamp NOLA – April 10-11, 2008 (Twitter)
- Chicago – Successful and Outstanding Bloggers Conference (SOBCon) – May 1-5, 2009
- WordCamp Toronto – May 8-10, 2009
- Richmond, Virginia – WordCamp RVA – May 9, 2009
- Ohio – WordCamp Columbus – May 16, 2009
- Washington, D.C., Baltimore and Philadelphia – WordCamp Mid-Atlantic – May 16, 2009
- Milan, Italy – WordCamp Milan 2009 – May 22-23, 2009
- WordCamp San Francisco 2009 – May 30, 2009
- WordCamp Chicago – June 6-7, 2009
- WordCamp Dallas 2009 – Dallas, Texas – June 27-28, 2009
Upcoming WordCamps not scheduled or confirmed:
- WordCamp Indy (Indianapolis)
- WordCamp Augusta
- WordCamp Seattle (WordCamp Seattle Twitter)
- WordCamp Argentina
- WordCamp Perú
- WordCamp New Zealand
- WordCamp Iowa
Upcoming WordCamp and WordPress Event News
WordCamp RVA News: WordCamp RVA is May 9, 2009, in Richmond, Virginia, at Hirschler Fleischer. Admission is free but registration is required. You can also track the event’s news on their Twitter at @wordcamprva.
WordCamp Chicago News: WordCamp Chicago now has a venue. It will be at the UBS Tower Conference Center in downtown Chicago. It has a maximum capacity for 200 attendees, which means seating will extremely limited. Register now.
WordCamp San Francisco 2009 News: WordCamp San Francisco 2009 is open for registration. Some hot speakers are already lined up for the May 30, 2009, event at the Mission Bay Conference Center, including Matt Cutts, Tim Ferris, Philip Greenspun, Douglas Hanna, Tara Hunt, Andy Peatling, and Steve Sounders. This often sells out so get your ticket and arrangements to attend the parent WordCamp event of the year now.
WordCamps and WordPress Meetups Everywhere
- WordPress Meetup: A WordPress Meetup is a frequent meeting of WordPress fans. If you would like to start a WordPress Meetup group, find a meeting place and announce it among your friends, and add a listing to the Yahoo Upcoming events for WordPress and WordPress Meetups Upcoming Events and tag them “WordPress Events” and “WordPress”, as many track WordPress event announcements there.
- WordCamp: A WordCamp is a day or two long event with sponsors and dozens if not hundreds of WordPress fans gathering annually. If you would like to sponsor or host a WordCamp, check out the new official site for tracking WordCamps is WordCamp Central, which includes instructions and guidelines for running a WordCamp. Get a Twitter account and add a listing to the Yahoo Upcoming events for WordPress and WordPress Meetups Upcoming Events and tag them “WordPress Events” and “WordCamp.
- WordPress and WordCamp Event News: In addition to our weekly Blog Herald WordPress News, you can learn more about the various WordPress and WordCamp Events on the official WordCamp Central site, The WordCamp Report, Yahoo Upcoming events for WordPress, WordPress Meetups Upcoming Events, and Upcoming: Public events tagged with “WordCamp”.
WordPress Fan Blogs and Podcasts
Weblog Tools Collection: Recent news, Plugin and Theme reviews, and helpful posts on Weblog Tools Collection include:
Recent posts by Weblog Tools Collection include:
- WordPress Plugin Releases and News: 03/02, 03/04, 03/06
- WordPress Theme Releases and News: 03/03, 03/05, 03/07
- WordPress Plugin Development Beginner’s Guide
- WPLookup – Find Functions and Template Tags Fast
- Plugin Review: Feed Reading Blogroll
- Would you like to review plugins on WLTC?
WordCast Podcast: WordCast 46: WordCamp Denver Wrap-Up is the latest podcast which features a special edition summary of WordCamp Denver by Dave Moyer and Lorelle VanFossen, talking about the various speakers and our experience in the mile-high city.
WordPress Weekly Podcast: Episode 44 – Interview With Brian Gardner talked about WordPress Theme development, especially premium versus free Themes and GPL licenses. They also talked about WordPress Plugins and some WordPress trivia.
WordPress Podcast: The latest episode is “Episode 50: WordPress 2.7.1 released, WordPress.tv, How much do YOU love WordPress?” and covered WordPress Plugin writing, WordPress 2.7.1, WordPress.tv, the first WordPress permanent tattoo, the WP Greet Box WordPress Plugin, and more WordPress Theme and Plugin information and tips.
WPHacks: Recent tips for WordPress from WPHacks includes:
WP Engineer: WP Engineer has tips and techniques for using WordPress, including:
- Exclude Subcategories in a Loop
- PHP Cross Reference of WordPress Source
- Tweet This with WordPress
- WPLookup – Fast Search in WordPress Codex
WPRecipes: The WPRecipes site offers tips and techniques for using WordPress, and recent posts include:
- How to: Add a line break between sidebar widgets
- How to: Avoid duplicate content in paged comments
- How to: Get all users having a specific role
- How to: Get the first image from the post and display it
- How to: Promote your WordPress blog
WPTavern: The recent news from the WPTavern blog and forum includes:
- BuddyPress Releases Skeleton Theme
- Episode 44 – Interview With Brian Gardner
- IntenseDebate Is Getting Plugged In
- New WordPress Book For Plugin Development
- Small Preview Of WordPress 2.8
- WordPress Forums To Be Revamped Soon?
- WordPress Store To Get A Revamp
- Cliff Note Version Of WordCamp Germany
- WP AJax Edit Comments Needs New Dev
- WPDesigner Breathes And Then Dies
Yoast: Yoast by Joost de Valk offers a wide range of WordPress developer and user tips and techniques. Some recent WordPress-related blog posts included:
- Canonical URL links
- Fix Automatic Plugin Update
- PHP Cross Reference of WordPress
- WordPress hosting done right
- WP-cron not working?
WordPress Plugins and Themes News
Change the Web Challenge: The WordPress development team challenges you to participate in the Change the Web Challenge, a contest to create a WordPress Plugin, WordPress Widget, mash-up, hack, or other web application that “helps people find and share opportunities to take action.”
Are Your WordPress Plugins in the WordPress Plugins Directory? Justin Tadlock is doing it, are you? Most of the most popular WordPress Plugins are now hosted on the WordPress Plugin Directory, the official resource for WordPress Plugins. It ties directly into the automatic Plugin installation and upgrading feature in WordPress 2.7. If you want your Plugin found, why don’t you join others and have it hosted on the WordPress Plugin Directory.
WordPress Plugin Development Beginner’s Guide: The “WordPress Plugin Development Beginner’s Guide by Vladimir Prelovac has been published and is available for sale.
BuddyPress Theme Framework: There is now a Skeleton Member Theme for BuddyPress for those who want to work with the template files to design a BuddyPress Theme. It includes all the template files and basic CSS outline documents to begin the process of styling a BuddyPress Theme.
WP Super Cache Updated: WP Super Cache 0.9.1 is the latest version of the popular cache WordPress Plugin. Changes include bug fixes for installation and shutdown functions, warnings that caching must be enabled, improvements for Windows servers, empty supercachefolders fixed, Bad Behavior WordPress Plugin no longer conflicts, and you can relocate the Super Cache Plugins folder. Donncha has also added a donation link in the readme file and Plugin administration panel to encourage people to help keep this project going.
Pasting a Lot of Code? Just like tiny, shortcut URLs are now the fad, did you know you could do the same with code? If you are posting a lot of code on your WordPress blog, on the WordPress forums, or elsewhere, you can use a code paste bin such as Paste Bin to store your code for free and just link to it. It’s a must resource for the WordPress support forums, so why not try it with social media?
WordPress Plugin and Theme Development Tips: The following are tips and techniques for WordPress Theme and Plugin authors and developers.
- 7 Interface Design Techniques to Simplify and De-clutter Your Interfaces
- WordPress Template Tags Reference Guide
- WordPress template tag lookup tool
WordPress 2.8 News and Development: Articles worth noting on WordPress 2.8 development include:
- Optimizing Script Loading
- Optimizing script loading part 2
- Optimizing script loading, implementation
- Change your WordPress Theme on …
- WordPress 2.8 body_class, automatic_feed_links
- What a body!
Running WordPress on .Net: A code project has been released into beta for a .Net version of WordPress. This is not an official WordPress release, but could prove interesting for those using Microsoft .Net.
Interesting WordPress Plugins:
- List Subpages With Descriptions: WordPress Plugin
- wpng-calendar WordPress Plugin from Google Code allows integration of a Google calendar into a WordPress blog.
- WP Review Site WordPress Plugin turns a WordPress blog into a review site “engine” for managing reviews of products, services, entertainment, or anything, with rating systems and a variety of options.
WordPress Jobs: WordPress Jobs is a WordPress Job service hosted by Weblog Tools Collection. If you are looking for a WordPress-related job to hire or for hire, you can look there and check out the Automattic WordPress Consultants List and the WP-Pro mailing list.
- WordPress coder
- Zend Framework Help
- update custom plugin
- Designing a good theme for my Video blog
- Fix the More Tag
- Create Custom WordPress Website
- Migrate/Setup Membership Site
- New WordPress site from photoshop file
- Upgrades and security checks needed
February WordPress.com News: February Wrap-Up for WordPress.com includes review of the news from last month and the statistics, which include 351,904 blogs created, 776 terabytes of content transferred from their datacenters, 7,964,018 comments, and 1,022,236,821 pageviews on WordPress.com, and another 948,586,171 on self-hosted blogs (1,970,822,992 total across all WordPress.com blogs). There were also seven WordCamps in February.
Blog Design Contest on WordPress.com: The first blogging design contest has been announced for WordPress.com called “I <3 Blogging Design Contest” co-produced by Infectious. This isn’t a blog web design or WordPress Theme contest. It is a graphic design contest. Design a “why I love blogging and WordPress” graphic design and if yours wins, it could be printed and sold on laptop and iPhone skins around the world through the Infectious store. Let your creative self loose and show the world how you would design what blogging and WordPress mean to you.
WordPress Techniques and Tips
Videos from WordPress.tv: WordPress.tv WordPress tips and WordCamp videos include:
- Using the WordPress.com Video Player – A DemoGirl Tour
- Gravatars – What are they and why you should get one (1/3)
- Installing WordPress locally with WampServer
- Setting up the Gravatar plugin for WordPress 2.7 (3/3)
- PHP Cross Reference of the WordPress Source
WordPress Tips and Techniques: Here are a few more WordPress tips from around the WordPress Community:
- WordPress Plugins for More Productive Development
- Extending WordPress Beyond the Blog – Using Custom Fields and More
- Installing WordPress into server2go
- Blog Oh Blog – 10 WordPress Hacks to Make Your Life Easy
WordPress Tips on Twitter: I’ve started sharing WordPress Tips and Plugin suggestions I’ve collected over the past couple years on Twitter at @lorelleonwp. I’ll be posting one WordPress tip and one WordPress Plugin link every morning (PST) covering recent versions of WordPress and WordPress usages and features.
Want Your WordPress Tip Shared Here? The WordPress Community generates some of the best WordPress tips, techniques, and resources. If you would like your WordPress tip and technique included in this list, see Tips For Writing Good WordPress Tips and Writing and Publishing Code In Your WordPress Blog Posts. When its ready, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WordPress Community News
Things You Need to Know in the WordPress Community:
- Help Installing WordPress: Installing WordPress for Free
- Finding WordPress Plugins: WordPress Plugin Directory
- Finding WordPress Themes: WordPress Themes Directory
- WordPress Logos: The official WordPress logos are available for use on your blogs or WordPress event promotions. Please start with the official logos even if you wish to redesign them.
- WordPress Experts Found: Automattic WordPress Consultants List, WordPress Jobs, and the WP-Pro mailing list
- WordPress Facebook Community: WordPress on Facebook
- WordPress Bugs: Reporting Bugs in WordPress
- Online WordPress Manual: WordPress Codex
- Have Your Say: WordPress Ideas
- WordPress is Trademarked: You are not allowed to use WordPress in your domain name.
- WordPress is WordPress: It’s spelled “WordPress” not “Wordpress” and Plugin is Plugin, not plug-in (what you put into a wall electrical socket).
- WordPress Schwag for Sale: WordPress Shop
Past WordPress Wednesday News Reports
- WordPress News: WordPress Wins at Irish Blogger Awards, WordPress Events Everywhere, WordPress for PowerPoint, Flash Security Issue, Feedburner Deadline
- WordPress News: Can You Spot a WordPress Blog? WordPress 2.8 News, Plugin Directory Searcable, iPhone App Tested, and More
- WordPress News: Release Week News, WordPress 2.7.1, BuddyPress, WordPress MU, and More Releases
- WordPress News: Logogate, WordCamps Everywhere, WordPress.tv, BuddyPress, WordPressMU, WordPress Plugin Podcast, and More
- WordPress News: WordPress.tv, WordCamp Whistler, WordPress Logo, City Saves Money, and More
- WordPress News: Buddy Press Almost Ready, WordCamp Las Vegas Success, Plugin Author Tips, WordPress Tattoo
WordPress News Sources
- WordPress Planet
- WordPress Development Blog
- WordPress.com Blog
- Weblog Tools Collection
- The WordPress Podcast
- Lorelle on WordPress
- Planet WordPress from Planet Ozh
- WordPress Publisher Blog
- Planet WordPress Canada
- The WordCamp Report
- WordPress Jobs
- Weblog Tools Collection General WordPress News
- Weblog Tools Collection Videos
- WordPress Weekly Podcast
If You Are Reading This: If you are reading this blog post NOT on the Blog Herald or from within your feed reader, it is being used against the copyright policy of the copyright owners. Please report it immediately so action may be taken to break some heads and feed scraping blogs.
Each week, the Blog Herald features WordPress News, a weekly column by Lorelle VanFossen of Lorelle on WordPress featuring the news around the WordPress Community. If you have a WordPress news item or tip to suggest, please contact her at this special email address: email@example.com