Matt Cutts Praises WordPress SEO in Presentation

Filed as News on August 20, 2009 4:45 pm

Google SEO expert Matt Cutts spoke at WordCamp San Francisco 2009, and the video i available over at the WordPress Publishing Blog. Why would they publish it? Well, it might have something to do with this:

WordPress takes care of 80-90% of (the mechanics of) Search Engine Optimization (SEO)

Great praise indeed, and true at that. Launching a site using WordPress (or any other SEO friendly platform for that matter) is a good idea if you want to rank well in the search engines. If you’re interested you might want to check out Matt Cutts’ slides from the presentation as well.

Tags: , , ,

1. By Nick Stamoulis posted on August 21, 2009 at 7:10 pm

I agree, WordPress has it’s advantages. I have had clients that have launched new website converting over WP and traffic numbers and rankings have increased almost immediately.

2. By Cordless Tool Batteries posted on August 21, 2009 at 7:42 pm

WordPress is the tool of choice for many developers these days. A few simple plugins will take that 80-90% and make it 95-99% SEO’d…. BUT….you always have to check the chosen theme structure because the wrong use of heading tags/title tag etc and badly written html/css can reduce that percentage.

3. By candry johnson posted on August 22, 2009 at 1:52 pm

NIce Blog dear,

Can You give me some tips how can i increase our blog pr. And give me some ranking tips also.

4. 3CX Phone System v7 | Business Telephone SystemAugust 23, 2009 at 7:27 pm
  5. 12 Best WordPress SEO Plugins | Benzing Technologies | Creative Web Design, Affordable Web Hosting, SEO, Social Media MarketingAugust 25, 2009 at 10:45 am
  6. By Rahman Mehraby posted on August 26, 2009 at 9:56 pm

As a person who works on search engine ranking and provides services for this purpose, I’ve seen the results first-hand myself using WordPress as the platform for my blog. It’s fantastic.

7. By zhenyong wang posted on September 14, 2009 at 6:36 am

8. By xhtml conversion posted on September 14, 2009 at 8:48 am

If we add wordpress blog on out exist website we can get lots of traffic on our website

9. By Richard Cummings posted on October 9, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I would say that the “80-90%” figure is high.

I love WordPress but it fails in many SEO areas such as:

Bad Default Permalinks
    No Sitemap
    No Sitemap Page
    Most themes don’t use H1 in Title Tags
    No alt tag on homepage graphic
    No Automatic Related Posts
    No SEO Plugin
    Categories should always contain summaries to prevent duplicate content
    No easy way to customize categories

And the list goes on and on…

10. By Rahman Mehraby posted on October 9, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Richard,

While principally agreeing with what you’ve mentioned, we both know that plugins compensate for these shortcomings. We can solve those issues, but what about those who aren’t familiar with SEO?

Maybe this thread and similar comments are a good feedback for WordPress to boost its CMS in its next version.

One more point about its shortcomings:

Recently I’ve felt the need to create a few subpages, which was not possible in a free theme I used to use. So, I had to buy a theme with which I’ve been very happy so far, because it provides the possibility of creating subpages and places them under the main page in the menu.

Also the size of Headings 1,2,3, etc are predefined as unreasonable, H1 being so big that exceeds the size of post title, H2 get a bit smaller, but H3 is very small and so on. I think if all of the headings are the same size and smaller than the post title, it will be very good.

It seems that certain features really need to be incorporated in the CMS as its default feature. Despite all I’ve said, I still use WordPress and I’m satisfied.

11. 12 Best WordPress SEO Plugins | Benzing TechnologiesOctober 16, 2009 at 2:09 am
  12. By Anish posted on October 26, 2009 at 12:58 am

How about helping us out with a list of plugins required to sort out word press issues.

You know there are some of us who:
    1. Totally new to wordpress
    2. Searched google for plugins, but not sure which ones are truly reliable

Please help us to stop reinventing the wheel. If you have the experince kindly share some of it.

Thanks

13. By Holly posted on October 30, 2009 at 5:43 am

i am still looking for a good SEO plugin for WordPress. my blog is not ranking high enought for the keywords that i wanted to rank.

14. By Ariza posted on December 9, 2009 at 4:39 pm

several most seo powerfull plugins for wordpress:
    - AA Search engine verify = for verify google meta tags in webmaster tools
    - All In One SEO Pack = complete seo plugin
    - SEOimage and onlywire plugin..

15. By jasa pembuatan blog posted on February 1, 2010 at 9:43 am

I like blogspot for my blog, but I like wodpres in seo

16. By izmir firma sistemi posted on July 22, 2013 at 5:34 pm

An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a friend who was doing a little research on this. And he in fact bought me dinner because I discovered it for him… lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to discuss this matter here on your web site.

17. By Jasa Blog posted on January 13, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I still do not understand about wordpress seo … please explain in more detail