Blogger Book Quest: GUST
Because not all books are created equal. We present a book by a blogger on the subject of blogging, writing, or business that is self-published or published by a small, independent publisher.
Title: GUST: The “Tale” Wind of Office Politics
Blogger/Author: Timothy L. Johnson
URL: Carpe Factum: Products
Get this Book: Gust Product Info at Amazon
Before I read the business fable, GUST, I knew that office politics existed. I had determined I couldn’t avoid or resist being part of the “body politic.” What I didn’t have was a clue about how it worked, nor had I really tried to make sense of it.
This book did both for me. Inside this book, you’ll find
- Three key things people manipulate and fight over in organizations — Resouces, People, and Information
- Three kinds of politicians, and how to handle each one
- Six core motivations of political behavior
- Uses (and misuses) of influence in an organization
- Hows and whys of strategizing an appropriate response to a political situation
- Considerations of timing, passion, and support into your political actions
- Executives’ roles in influencing (and correcting) office politics
- Assessments for determining how political your organization really is.
At times the story bends to fit the content. It needs to — no company is quite that dysfunctional all at once – AND that’s what gives this volume a place in my top drawer. Every office politician I’ve ever met is in it and Tim Johnson offers a way to handle each individual . . . um er . . . colleague’s needs with finesse. GUST is worth picking up. just for that.
Read this post for guidelines to submit your book for review.
Liz writes, speaks and works with businesses on how to make relationships the center of their strategy. Head and heart together are the approach and philosophy she uses to show clients how to make room for a community that loves what they do. Liz writes at Successful-Blog