Deal With the Devil: Week 2
Two weeks ago I blogged that, against YOUR advice, I would be offering my blogging services on a weekly basis to a larger media company – for free.
Here’s the latest update. Nine days ago I submitted an article to the company. And since then: silence.
My article has not appeared on their live site and I have not been updated as to when it would appear. In the meantime, I did not submit an article last week. I plan to hold back until the editor explains what their editorial process is. In hindsight, a question that I should have asked (or the company should have outlined) ahead of time.
Next time, I’ll be sure to find out:
– How in-depth will my piece be edited; content? length? spelling? etc.
– When I should expect to see the article posted.
– How stringent the issued word count is.
– Who I can contact if my main contact is out of the office.
– As estimate of traffic I should expect from my blog entry.
My goal with this series of posts is to help you make better decisions in similar situations. I also hope they’ll open the eyes of companies that pursue bloggers on what they should and shouldn’t do.
Andrew G.R. is the owner of Jobacle, a career advice and employment news blog and podcast designed to make work better. Follow him on Twitter.