$6 billion for MySpace?

Filed as General, News on November 15, 2006 4:58 am

Repost This

Rupert Murdock, CEO of News Corp., told Australian investors that MySpace would sell for $6 billion. All according to PaidContent.org.

Really? Then it’s time to consider your exit strategy and maximize revenues up until then. MySpace may be huge, a true phenomenon, but that will change. The youth, who are a very important part of any hip new thing online, will move on and adapt something new. Sure, there is a whole lot of money to be made on MySpace, with 8 million new users per month globally and reaching 200 million by mid 2007, but at the same time there has to be an end to this. Find a specific model for MySpace, TV broadcasting perhaps, and go all the way – or sell for $6 billion and smile all the way to the bank.

Oh, and it’s ugly. In the long run people won’t stand up to that. In fact, for every user that joins MySpace, I lose a little of my belief in humanity

1. By Jeff posted on November 15, 2006 at 6:22 am

Who do you think would buy Myspace for 6 billion right now?

2. By John Evans (SYNTAGMA) posted on November 15, 2006 at 8:44 am

Yeah, MySpace has denied gravity for too long. BUT, take that in the context of JCal’s latest post on his personal blog about online ad revenue growth for the next 20 years and it seems we’re all on a gravity-defying trip into OurSpace.

3. By Bonzy Salesman posted on November 15, 2006 at 10:18 am

I just want to add that MySpace is one of the ugliest websites I have ever seen. I registered but never went back. Nowadays I use it to lift my spirits. When I’m working on a particularly difficult design and I feel like I’m not cracking it I usually tell myself that MySpace is ugly and some people (an amazing lot) still love it. I find it discouraging that so many people so that little concern for such a bad design / architecture.

I’d rather read b logs instead.

4. By Tony posted on November 15, 2006 at 10:31 am

Yeah, I picked up on that — I think he’s right after a fashion; there is a way to track ads that just doesn’t exist offline that makes it attractive.

The question with MySpace, however, is not whether ads can keep up — but whether its audience will stay interested with MySpace.

And if that audience dries up there’s no faerie magick dust in the world that is going to monetize that. ;)

cheers
    t

5. By Chris Scott posted on November 15, 2006 at 10:33 am

I wonder how many of those 8m new users per month are: a) spammers or b) one-timers that never use it again.