How to be More Productive

Filed as Features on June 13, 2008 4:56 am

It’s a common challenge we all encounter at some point or another. We are so busy getting through the basic tasks of publishing, that we become less organized – and thus less productive. The time we’d dedicate to marketing our blog and building relationships with readers vaporizes as we try to dig out from under.

If you’d like to find more time to share your ideas with others and attract a greater number of readers, you need to become more productive. You can start with five easy steps.

1. Put your bookmarks on de.licio.us. In fact, dump everything you might need later into de.licio.us. Not only can you search your links much faster than using your browser’s built in tools, your bookmarks will be available anywhere you go.

2. Find an RSS reader or web-based service you like, load the sites you visit regularly, and get familiar with the interface. This is the single most effective think you can do to optimize your online productivity. You’ll spend less time loading sites and hunting for data — and more sorting what you need. Hint: Google Reader.

3. Unsubscribe. It’s easy to get caught up in the noise of Web 2.0. Do you really need pokes and superpokes on Facebook? Did you just blow an hour of daylight on Twitter? Dump it. Decide what’s important, and stick with it.

4. Get your projects organized. One great way is Basecamp — a no-nonsense planning and management system suitable for personal or group use. Set goals, share files and information, whiteboard — in short, make it happen. There’s a free version suitable for single projects. The Basic plan is $24/month, and is as much project management as most small businesses will ever need.

5. Many hands make the job easier — or at least give you a living knowledge-base. So network — but be smart about which one you choose. Facebook has a huge user base, but may offer more distractions that your personal productivity allows. If you’re building a professional network, consider LinkedIn. It is more focused on business and you will find that members are open to helping you with marketing questions.

These are just five tools. What are some of your favorites?

Tags: , ,

1. By rob posted on June 13, 2008 at 8:33 pm

thanks for the reminders. i pride myself on productivity, but we always need a gentle prodding now and then

2. By muhabbet posted on June 15, 2008 at 5:28 am

thanks

3. By Nylon tube posted on July 2, 2008 at 8:16 am

Very beneficial. Thank you, oh

4. By Dali Burgado posted on August 20, 2008 at 10:07 am

Valeria,

I definitely agree with unsubscribing, especially when it comes to email!

My rule is … if I receive little or no value I dump it!

Also, there are certain applications that can make Twitter and other social marketing more effective and help you leverage your time.

For instance, ping.fm (in beta) allows you to post ‘tweet’ like updates across social marketing sites so you leverage your time and market more effectively! I presently use it for Facebook, Friendfeed, Linked in and Twitter!

Also, if you’re interested, I did a recent blog post about using Twitter effectively.

I will definitely have to check out Basecamp!

I really appreciate YOU!

Dali Burgado

5. By Cath Lawson posted on March 3, 2009 at 2:04 pm

My favourite tip is stop joining so many different social networks. I’ve stopped jumping on the next new thing, ever since StumbleUpon banned me. It had no negative impact on me whatsoever but it freed up so much time.

6. By sohbet posted on June 8, 2009 at 3:21 am

Click for instant access to

7. By matbaa posted on November 18, 2009 at 1:15 pm

8. By Haber24 posted on November 23, 2009 at 10:51 am

9. By oyun posted on November 23, 2009 at 2:10 pm

10. By medyum posted on August 5, 2010 at 1:32 pm

It is important to be productive in this regard have to do their best people

11. By matbaa posted on September 29, 2010 at 9:55 pm