WordPress News: 2.8 Patch Marathon, TalkPress, and Commercializing WordPress Plugins
WordPress 2.8 Has-Patch Marathon: Jane Wells announced The Super-Awesome WordPress 24-Hour Has-Patch Marathon to attack 500 active tickets on WordPress 2.8. The invitation included developers, hackers, and coders to dig into the code of WordPress and fix all kinds of things and test them from April 16-17. We’re awaiting results of the marathon.
TalkPress: Imagine combining the architecture behind WordPress.com with bbPress. The end result is TalkPress. In a recent announcement on the bbPress blog, Sam Bauers explained that TalkPress is going to be a hosted forum service using bbPress with the HyperDB extension for WordPress to create a WordPressMU style network of bbPress forums. It is currently being tested by corporations such as Time’s Health.com site.
Help Test Subscribe to Comments WordPress Plugin: Mark Jaquith is looking for beta testers for his popular Subscribe to Comments WordPress Plugin who are running the latest version of WordPress and have a large number of comment subscribers and are familiar with backups and restores of their WordPress database – in other words, willing to risk their blogs to test the Plugin.
Commercializing WordPress Plugins: In Adding Commercial Intent to WordPress Sites, A Solution For Plugin Developers? Vladimir Prelovac digs into the issue of how WordPress Plugin authors could fairly be compensated for the work and support they put into their WordPress Plugins without breaking the GPL. The idea of a free market for WordPress Plugins has been played with in the past, but he brings up some interesting new thoughts on how it could work to benefit everyone.
iPhones Community Forums: iPhone for WordPress now offers a forum called the WordPress for iPhone Community Forums.
Improving What You Find on WordPress.com: Instant Findability was announced by WordPress.com, part of the WordPress.com search engine. The improvements make the process faster and include content in the search results as soon as you publish.
March Stats and News for WordPress.com: The March Wrap-Up is out with some more impressive numbers. 389,819 blogs were created and 423,744 new users joined. There were 1,191,390,256 pageviews on WordPress.com, totally 2,309,498,060 total across all WordPress hosted and tracked blogs. Matt’s favorite stat is the word count and 1,456,062,555 words were published in March.
WordPress.com Gets TED: If you are a fan of TED, the entertainment and educational video network, you can now embed TED in WordPress.com (Video).
WordPress on Your Calendar
- Chennai, Tamil Nadu – WordPress Garage (Tech Camp for WordPress) – April 18, 2009
- Long Beach, California – Southern California WordPress Group – April 18, 2009
- Los Angeles WordPress Users Group at Farmers Market – April 19, 2009
- Greater Charlotte Area WordPress Group Meetup – “How to Create a Custom WordPress Theme” – April 25, 2009
- Atlanta, Georgia – Atlanta WordPress Users Group Meetup – April 25, 2009
- Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas – DFW WordPress Meetup – April 25, 2009
- Alameda, California – The East Bay WordPress Meetup – April 26 , 2009
- Edmond, Oklahoma – OKC WordPress Users Group – April 27, 2009
- Ferndale, MI – April WordPress Meetup – April 27, 2009
- Scottsdale, Arizona – Scottsdale WordPress Meetup – April 27, 2009
- Chicago – Successful and Outstanding Bloggers Conference (SOBCon) – May 1-5, 2009
- Mobile, Alabama – Gulf Coast WordPress/Blogger May Meetup – May 7, 2009
- WordCamp Toronto – May 8-10, 2009
- Richmond, Virginia – WordCamp RVA – May 9, 2009
- Los Angeles WordPress Users Group at Farmers Market – May 10, 2009
- Belmar, New Jersey – New Jersey WordPress May Meetup – May 13, 2009
- Ohio – WordCamp Columbus – May 16, 2009
- Washington, D.C., Baltimore and Philadelphia – WordCamp Mid-Atlantic – May 16, 2009
Past WordPress News Reports
- WordPress News: Widget API, Bye-Bye Kubrick, Query_Posts Plugin, and Template Tag Plugin
- WordPress News: WordPress 2.8, Summer of Code, PodPress Returning, iPhone Update
- WordPress News: iPhones Up, WordPress Widgets API, 2.8 Delayed, International WordPress.tv, and More
- WordPress News: Plugins Reach Milestone, New WordPress Community Project, Help to Search for WordPress Help
Each week, the Blog Herald features WordPress News, a weekly column by Lorelle VanFossen of Lorelle on WordPress featuring the news from around the WordPress Community. You can follow more WordPress news, WordCamp and WordPress Event information, WordPress tips and help, see Lorelle on WordPress and her Twitter account, @lorelleonwp, where she posts a WordPress Plugin and WordPress Tip daily. If you have a WordPress news item or tip to suggest, please contact her at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The author of Lorelle on WordPress and the fast-selling book, Blogging Tips: What Bloggers Won't Tell You About Blogging, as well as several other blogs, Lorelle VanFossen has been blogging for over 15 years, covering blogging, WordPress, travel, nature and travel photography, web design, web theory and development extensively as web technologies developed.
Actually we have WP 2.8.2 and it´s great what I can handle with it!!