WordPress 2.7 downloads now passing 970,000. Want to predict when it will hit one million? Matt Mullenweg asks for input on his New Year’s resolutions. Tips for optimizing WordPress Plugins to accommodate new AJAX abilities in WordPress 2.7. Two new versions of bbPress released. WordCamp Las Vegas is this weekend. WordCamp Indonesia coming up fast, along with WordCamp Whistler in Canada. And Ed Morita wants to know where to put his new permanent WordPress logo tattoo and wants your input.
WordPress Tattoo: Ed Morita wants a permanent tattoo. His WordPress blog has changed his life and he wants to honor the expertise with a WordPress tattoo. In “Where Should I Put My WordPress Tattoo?” he asks for input on where to put his new WordPress logo tattoo on his body. The deadline is January 30, and he will get the tattoo on his birthday, February 10th.
Matt Mullenweg’s New Year’s Resolutions: In an interesting open source style twist to making New Year’s resolutions, Matt Mullenweg offers “Open Sourcing Resolutions,” asking people to tell him what his resolutions should be for the new year. It’s an interesting list of what other people think he should be doing, as well as ideas for the WordPress Community and WordPress development. Want your say?
WordPress Men Called to Marathon for Breast Cancer: Brian Gardner is calling on Chicago/Midwest WordPress male fans to join him August 7-9, 2009, for the 60-mile marathon for the Chicago Breast Cancer event. He claims it will be a great journey talking WordPress and blogging non-stop.
Problems with WordPress 2.7 XML-RPC: Joseph Scott reports on problems with libxml2 For WordPress XML-RPC users that he’s been finding on the WordPress Support Forums and elsewhere. The problem is not WordPress specific, but the PHP XML extension using the new versions of libxml2 which leaves off angle brackets. The solution so far is to use old versions of libxml2 known to work or build the PHP XML model against the expat parser instead of libsml2. Check the forums and his post for updated information, as well as the Trac ticket on the issue.
One Million Downloads of WordPress 2.7: Three weeks ago, there were 500,000 WordPress 2.7 Downloads and Miroslav Glavic caught the rollover of the counter. As I write this, there are now over 800,000 downloads, moving fast for 1 million. Bets are on Twitter as to when one million downloads will be counted on the counter. There is now the WordPress Download Counter which adds a counter to your blog’s sidebar featuring the number of official WordPress version downloads from the WordPress Download Counter for WordPress fan blogs.
Two bbPress Releases: Two versions of bbPress, the free forum software by Automattic that integrates into WordPress blogs, have been released, bbPress 0.9 and bbPress 1.0-alpha. The first is a security fix and the second contains the fix, but also an improved fix for WordPress integration to synchronize user roles.
Haven’t You Upgraded to WordPress 2.7 Yet? For information on upgrading to WordPress 2.7, see WordPress 2.7 Release News and Links. If you are worried about whether or not WordPress 2.7 will work with your server, Themes or Plugins, see:
- WordPress 2.7 Core Update Host Compatibility
- WordPress 2.7 Plugin Compatibility
- WordPress 2.7 Theme Compatibility
Social Media Tools Warnings: While not WordPress specific, a lot of WordPress bloggers use social media tools like LinkedIn and Twitter. Recently, SecurityFocus reported on malware security problems with Twitter and LinkedIn. The Blog Herald recently covered the news, too. Take extreme care when responding to email, blog comments, and other social media messages that look even the slightest bit suspicious.
Don’t Let WordPress in Your Domain Name: Do you use “wordpress” in your blog’s domain name? This is in violation of the WordPress trademark. If you find a site using WordPress in their domain name, remind them of the trademark rules so they won’t be asked later to remove it.
Last Week’s WordPress Wednesday News: Can’t get enough WordPress news and tips? There is so much news coming out about the latest version, so you can catch up with the past news in last week’s WordPress News: Weblog Tools Collection Scholarship Fund, WordPress at the Supreme Court, Top Plugin Authors, XML-RPC Trouble, and More.
WordPress Fan Blogs and Podcasts
The WordPress Podcast: Episode 49: WordPress 2.7 released, Oxite, Blog World Expo and New Media Expo to merge, Pownce closes includes David Peralty and covers WordPress 2.7, Microsoft’s new open source blogware, Oxite, Blog World Expo and New Media Expo merging, WordPress Theme Directory cleaning out WordPress Themes, Pownce shut down, WordCamp news, and more WordPress news and tips.
WordCast Podcast: WordCast 41: Cats in boxes – best blog theme ever is the latest episode and features discussions on malicious WordPress Themes, WPTavern.com, the history of the WordPress interface, Top 10 Plugin developers, Weblog Tools Collection scholarships, WordPress 2.7 one million downloads getting close, and a lot more WordPress and WordCamp news.
WordPress Weekly Podcast: Maximum WordPress Security is the latest Weblog Tools Collection WordPress Weekly Podcast featuring Mark E, Plugin author of the Maximum Security WordPress Plugin, another security Plugin that tests your WordPress blog to ensure its security. They also discussed WordPress news, events, and tips.
WordPress on Your Calendar
WordPress Meetup or WordCamp Near You? If you are putting together a WordPress event, please email me so I can publicize it here. If there is a WordCamp near you, go. If you are interested in setting up a WordCamp, stay tuned for news and information on to bring a WordCamp event near you.
Here are some WordPress-related dates and events to put on your calendar.
- WordCamp Las Vegas 2009 – Las Vegas, Nevada – January 10-11, 2009
- Happy Hour after WordCamp Las Vegas – January 10, 2009
- Los Angeles WordPress Users Group – January 11, 2009
- South Florida WordPress Meetup Group – Pompano Beach – Search Engine Optimization for WordPress – January 15, 2009
- Portland WordPress User Group – CubeSpace, Portland, Oregon – January 15, 2009
- WordPress Installfest at Berkeley Coworking at Berkeley Coworking – January 15, 2009
- WordCamp Indonesia 2009 – Jakarta, Indonesia – January 17-18, 2009
- Boston WordPress Meetup – Boston, Massachusetts – January 19, 2009
- New York WordPress Meetup Group – WordPress as a CMS: The Strategy of Content Publishing – January 20, 2009
- RefreshAugusta January Meetup at The Well Community Church – WordPress 2.7 – January 20, 2009
- WordCamp Whistler 2009 – Whistler, BC, Canada – January 24, 2009 (Facebook)
- Toronto WordPress Meetup – January 24, 2009
- Chicago WordPress January Meetup – January 24, 2009
- The Dallas/Ft. Worth Area WordPress January Meetup – Texas – January 24, 2009
- WordCamp Higher Ed North East – Worcester, Massachusetts – February 2, 2009
- Gulf Coast WordPress/Blogger Meetup – Mobile, Alabama – February 5, 2009
- Toronto WordPress Meetup – Toronto, Canada – February 7, 2009
- WordCamp Education Vancouver 2009 – Vancouver, BC – February 19, 2009
- 2009 Northern Voice – Vancouver, BC – February 20-21, 2009
- WordCamp Miami 2009 – Miami, Florida – February 22, 2009
- WordCamp NOLA – New Orleans, Louisiana – April 10-11, 2008 (Twitter)
- WordCamp Denver 2009 – February 28, 2009 (Facebook)
- WordCamp Jena Germany – February 14, 2009
- WordCamp Columbus – Ohio – May 16, 2009
- WordCamp Mid-Atlantic – Washington, D.C., Baltimore and Philadelphia – May 16, 2009
- WordCamp Milan 2009 – Milan, Italy – May 22-23, 2009
- WordCamp San Francisco 2009 – May 30, 2009
- WordCamp Chicago – June 6-7, 2009
- WordCamp Dallas 2009 – Dallas, Texas – June 27-28, 2009
Upcoming WordCamps not scheduled or confirmed:
- WordCamp Indy (Indianapolis)
- WordCamp Augusta
- WordCamp Seattle (WordCamp Seattle Twitter)
- WordCamp Argentina
- WordCamp Perú
- WordCamp New Zealand
- WordCamp Iowa
Upcoming WordCamp and WordPress Event News
WordCamp Las Vegas on a Roll: WordCamp Las Vegas News: WordCamp Las Vegas 2009 is this weekend, January 10-11, 2009, and the schedule is filling up with top notch speakers and events. Niran Amir from Picapp, Jim Turner of OneByOne Media, Ethan Gahng from Psolenoid, and Chris Brogan have been added to the list recently. There are still some tickets available, so get registered now. Also check out the WordCamp after party for any WordPress fans in the area at Jack’s Irish Pub inside of Palace Station. RSVP for the after party event on Facebook.
WordCamp Indonesia News: WordCamp Indonesia 2009 is January 17-18, 2009 at Erasmus Huis, Kuningan, Jakarta, Indonesia. The event features Romi Satria Wahono, Agus Setiawan Basuni, Matt Mullenweg, Nukman Luthfie, and Nanda Ivens.
Portland WordPress Meetup: The first Portland WordPress User Group will meet on January 15, 2009, at CubeSpace in downtown Portland, Oregon, to talk WordPress and work on the next WordCamp Portland.
WordPress Meetup in Berkeley, California: A fun install WordPress event called WordPress Installfest will be at Berkeley Coworking at Berkeley Coworking on January 15, 2009, to help those who need help installing WordPress 2.7.
WordCamp Whistler News: WordCamp Whistler 2009 in Whistler, BC, Canada, on January 24, 2009, has a ton of updates and news. Early Bird tickets are still available, but will be gone soon, so get your registration in now. Group reservations at the Fairmont Hotel are only on hold until Friday, January 9, then you have to pay the higher rates and take your chances. They have a ton of new sponsors including Rope Tow, RideBooker.com, ShopWatchBuy.com, and more. They’ve just put up a picture of the new ski hat for attendees, a WordCamp schwag first. New speakers have been announced including Quentin Muhlert of 6S Marketing, and there is now a WordCamp Whistler Podcast featuring the news and information of the upcoming event.
Learn the Lessons of Content Publishing: New York WordPress Meetup Group will meetin on January 20, 2009, with the meeting topic to be “WordPress as a CMS: The Strategy of Content Publishing.”
WordCamp Mid-Atlantic News: WordCamp Mid-Atlantic covers Washington, D.C., Baltimore and Philadelphia, and will be May 16, 2009, at the University of Baltimore Thumel Business Center. Featured speakers will be Matt Mullenweg, Anil Dash of SixApart, There are two tracks to the day’s events, a basic “Essentials” and advanced “Hackery” track. Tickets are $25.99 and going fast. Sponsorships are available, but limited, so get involved as soon as possible.
Chicago WordPress Meetup: The Chicago WordPress January Meetup on January 24, 2009, will feature a Q&A session on “Who uses WordPress” with everyone invited to share why they use WordPress.
Attention WordPress Lovers in New Jersey: The new The New Jersey WordPress Meetup Group will be meeting January 7, 2009, in Belmar, New Jersey, at 7PM at the WebDevStudios.com office. Get help with WordPress, upgrading to WordPress 2.7, and learn about exciting WordPress Plugins and what’s going on in Jersey with WordPress.
WordCampED: WordCamp Education Vancouver 2009 is scheduled in Vancouver, BC, for February 19, 2009, on the UBC Main Campus in the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre. They are currently looking for speakers and those interested in attending this educational based WordPress event.
WordCamp Columbus, Ohio: WordCamp Columbus is set for May 16, 2009. The Twitter account is @WordCampColumbus. WordCamp Columbus has announced that since WordCamp Mid-Atlantic is scheduled for the same date, and Matt Mullenweg will be speaking there, his keynote will be streamed to attendees of WordCamp Columbus so no one will miss the “state of the word” by the founder of WordPress. Noel Jackson, designer of the Monotone WordPress Theme, and Nick Momrick, speaking about WordPress.com, will be noted speakers at the event. Registration is $20 and will be open soon.
WordCamp Iowa: Tom Altman wants to host a WordCamp Iowa and is looking for volunteers.
WordCamp San Francisco 2009 Announced: Matt Mullenweg has announced the date for WordCamp San Francisco 2009 for May 30, 2009, at the Mission Bay Conference Center. There is also a Upcoming Event page set up.
WordCamps and WordPress Meetups Everywhere
- WordPress Meetup: A WordPress Meetup is a frequent meeting of WordPress fans. If you would like to start a WordPress Meetup group, find a meeting place and announce it among your friends, and add a listing to the Yahoo Upcoming events for WordPress and WordPress Meetups Upcoming Events and tag them “WordPress Events” and “WordPress”, as many track WordPress event announcements there.
- WordCamp: A WordCamp is a day or two long event with sponsors and dozens if not hundreds of WordPress fans gathering annually. If you would like to sponsor or host a WordCamp, check out the new official site for tracking WordCamps is WordCamp Central, which includes instructions and guidelines for running a WordCamp. Get a Twitter account and add a listing to the Yahoo Upcoming events for WordPress and WordPress Meetups Upcoming Events and tag them “WordPress Events” and “WordCamp.
- WordPress and WordCamp Event News: In addition to our weekly Blog Herald WordPress News, you can learn more about the various WordPress and WordCamp Events on the official WordCamp Central site, The WordCamp Report, Yahoo Upcoming events for WordPress, WordPress Meetups Upcoming Events, and Upcoming: Public events tagged with “WordCamp”.
WordPress Plugins and Themes News
WordPress Plugins API: If you develop WordPress Plugins, check out Documentation for WordPress Plugins API, then step into a copy of a better guide from the WP Hackers Mailing List post for WordPress.org Plugin Information API Docs. It’s a must-bookmark post to help WordPress Plugin authors.
Optimize All Those Scripts in WordPress 2.7 Themes and Plugins: Ozz’s article, “Optimizing Script Loading,” on the WordPress Development Blog has a second edition in Optimizing script loading, part II covering the tips you need to know for dealing with AJAX in WordPress 2.7 Plugins and Themes.
AutoSuggest Search WordPress Plugin: AutoSuggest Searches for WordPress is a WordPress Plugin by Elie Khoury of Woopra. Inspired by Google’s AutoSuggest feature, it replaces your WordPress blog search with an AJAX search option that “suggests” blog posts based upon the keywords you type in. You can still run a search, but this might speed up the process for your readers. It offers a variety of customizations and options.
Check WordPress Theme and Plugin Compatibility with WordPress 2.7: If you are a WordPress Plugin or Theme author, and your Theme or Plugin will work with the new version, there are two things you must do NOW:
- Check to see if it is listed in the WordPress Codex on WordPress 2.7 Plugin Compatibility and WordPress 2.7 Theme Compatibility. Users will check there before upgrading, so make sure you are on the list.
- Go to the WordPress Plugin Directory and other services and sites hosting your Plugin and update the information to show that it is compatible with WordPress 2.7, or not.
Installing WordPressMU EBook: Andrea Rennick of WPMU Tutorials has just published Installing WordPressMU – The E-Book, a guide to helping you install the popular multi-blog version of WordPress called WordPressMU. The book is available in PDF form for free download.
Interesting WordPress Plugins:
- Author Image WordPress Plugin displays blog author’s images on your WordPress blog.
- FeedFooter WordPress Plugin displays text or images in the footer of your feed.
- Force Word Wrapping WordPress Plugin forces word wrapping on your blog posts to force long links to wrap.
- Post Teaser WordPress Plugin creates an automatic teaser for each blog post on the front page of your WordPress blog.
- Theme Tester WordPress Plugin is a “sandbox” Theme tester that allows you to view your WordPress Theme while you are working on it, without the “under-construction” Theme being visible to your readers.
WordPress.com 2009 Year Wrap-Up: Check out 2008 Year-End Wrap-Up for the latest news on WordPress.com blogs.
WordPress Techniques and Tips
- Anatomy of a WordPress Plugin
- How to Upgrade WordPress (YouTube Video)
- How to setup a blog feed via Feedburner
- Cats Who Code – 6 tricks and tip to create a “Magazine” WordPress theme
- Nathan Rice – WordPress SEO
- If A Commenter Does Not Have A Gravatar
WordPress Tips on Twitter: I’ve started sharing WordPress Tips and Plugin suggestions I’ve collected over the past couple years on Twitter at @lorelleonwp. I’ll be posting one WordPress tip and one WordPress Plugin link every morning (PST) covering recent versions of WordPress and WordPress usages and features.
Want Your WordPress Tip Shared Here? If you would like your WordPress tip and technique included in this list, see Tips For Writing Good WordPress Tips and Writing and Publishing Code In Your WordPress Blog Posts. When its ready, contact me at email@example.com.
WordPress Community News
Things You Need to Know in the WordPress Community:
- Help Installing WordPress: Installing WordPress for Free
- Finding WordPress Plugins: WordPress Plugin Directory
- Finding WordPress Themes: WordPress Themes Directory
- WordPress Experts Found: Automattic WordPress Consultants List, WordPress Jobs, and the WP-Pro mailing list
- WordPress Facebook Community: WordPress on Facebook
- WordPress Schwag for Sale: WordPress Shop
- WordPress Bugs: Reporting Bugs in WordPress
- Online WordPress Manual: WordPress Codex
- Have Your Say: WordPress Ideas
- WordPress Logos: The official WordPress logos are available for use on your blogs or WordPress event promotions.
- WordPress is Trademarked: You are not allowed to use WordPress in your domain name.
- WordPress is WordPress: It’s spelled “WordPress” not “WordPress” and Plugin is Plugin, not plug-in (what you put into a wall electrical socket).
Past WordPress Wednesday News Reports
- WordPress News: Weblog Tools Collection Scholarship Fund, WordPress at the Supreme Court, Top Plugin Authors, XML-RPC Trouble, and More
- WordPress News: 650,000 WP 2.7 Downloads, BuddyPress, Theme Threat, Schwag, and More
- WordPress News: WordPress 2.7 Awesome, WordPress.com 5 Million, Plugins Updated, and WordCamp News
- WordPress News: WordPress 2.7 Released
- WordPress News: WordPress 2.7 Out on WordPress.com, WordPress 2.7 News, WordCamps, WordPress Plugins and Themes Updated
- WordPress News: WordPress 2.7 New Login, WordCamp Australia, WordPress 2.6.5 Security Update, BuddyPress, and More
WordPress News Sources
- WordPress Planet
- WordPress Development Blog
- WordPress.com Blog
- Weblog Tools Collection
- The WordPress Podcast
- Lorelle on WordPress
- Planet WordPress from Planet Ozh
- WordPress Publisher Blog
- Planet WordPress Canada
- The WordCamp Report
If You Are Reading This: If you are reading this blog post NOT on the Blog Herald or from within your feed reader, it is being used against the copyright policy of the copyright owners. Please report it immediately so action may be taken to break some heads and feed scraping blogs.
Each week, the Blog Herald features WordPress News, a weekly column by Lorelle VanFossen of Lorelle on WordPress featuring the news around the WordPress Community. If you have a WordPress news item or tip to suggest, please contact her at this special email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The author of Lorelle on WordPress and the fast-selling book, Blogging Tips: What Bloggers Won't Tell You About Blogging, as well as several other blogs, Lorelle VanFossen has been blogging for over 15 years, covering blogging, WordPress, travel, nature and travel photography, web design, web theory and development extensively as web technologies developed.