WordPress News: WordPress 2.7 Released
Mark Jaquith has just announced that WordPress 2.7 is now live and ready for download.
Rumors were flying with the WordPress 2.7 RC2 release announcement and WordPress mailing lists, and now, the official announcement is now out. This version of WordPress is named “Coltrane” for famed jazz Saxophonist, John Coltrane, a favorite of sax playing, WordPress founder, Matt Mullenweg.
The official announcement includes a video and information on how WordPress 2.7’s new interace was developed. For more examples, screenshots, video, and information on the new WordPress 2.7 version, see WordPress 2.7 Release News and Links, Countdown to WordPress 2.7 and WordPress 2.7 Hits WordPress.com Thursday, December 4, 2008, and keep an eye on WordPress 2.7 blog posts and coverage across the blogosphere.
The hard work done by all of the development team, especially by Jane Wells who lead the conversion to the new interface, deserves some serious rounds of applause. The new Administration Panels have been through massive testing and trials over the past year and the first responses have been incredibly positive by old and new users.
Upgrade WordPress Now!
Unlike previous versions where it’s a good idea to wait, it is highly recommended to upgrade to WordPress 2.7 now. It is very stable and has been well tested on WordPress.com with more than 5 million blogs over the past week. WordPress 2.7 includes the latest security updates. Once installed, it will notify you for automatic upgrades, making the upgrade process incredibly easy.
If you are using one of the Release Candidates, the upgrade announcement should be on your blog. Follow the extended upgrade instructions. In the past, it was highly recommended that you turn off all WordPress Plugins before upgrading. WordPress 2.7 will automatically put WordPress in “maintenance mode” so this step is no longer necessary.
To upgrade from older versions of WordPress, follow the instructions in the WordPress Codex, the online manual for WordPress Users, in Upgrading WordPress. Dependent upon which version of WordPress you are upgrading from, you may or may not have to make changes to your WordPress Theme to accommodate changes in WordPress Theme Template Tags.
If you are worried about whether or not WordPress 2.7 will work with your server, Themes or Plugins, see:
- WordPress 2.7 Core Update Host Compatibility
- WordPress 2.7 Plugin Compatibility
- WordPress 2.7 Theme Compatibility
Don’t wait. It is critical that you upgrade WordPress now because:
- Future upgrades will be easier.
- Your blog will be protected from current security vulnerabilities.
- It features easy WordPress Theme and Plugin upgrades, additions, and news.
- Some search engines and directories are considering penalizing page rank or not indexing old versions of WordPress due to security vulnerabilities and failure to upgrade (few spam sites upgrade). For more information, see Technorati: Vulnerable WordPress Blogs Not Being Indexed, Matt Cutts: Alerting Webmasters to Webserver Vulnerabilities, Fear, Uncertainty and Disinformation About The WordPress Exploits and Spam, and WordPress Security Prevention, Reactions, and Scares.
Upgrade to WordPress 2.7 now.
WordPress News: Normal WordPress News Reports will continue next week.
Past WordPress News Reports
- WordPress News: WordPress 2.7 Out on WordPress.com, WordPress 2.7 News, WordCamps, WordPress Plugins and Themes Updated
- WordPress News: WordPress 2.7 New Login, WordCamp Australia, WordPress 2.6.5 Security Update, BuddyPress, and More
- WordPress Wednesday News: Beta 3 Released, WordCamp Australia, No WordPress 2.6.4, and More
- WordPress Wednesday News: 2.7 Delayed, Sneak Peak Video, Help WordPress iPhone, WordCamps
- WordPress Wednesday News: WordPress 2.7 Beta 2, Danger WordPress Faker, and More WordCamps
- WordPress Wednesday News: WordPress 2.7 Soon, Security Upgrade, PodCamp-WordCamp Hawaii, PollDaddy, and More
WordPress News Sources
- WordPress Planet
- WordPress Development Blog
- WordPress.com Blog
- Weblog Tools Collection
- The WordPress Podcast
- Lorelle on WordPress
- Planet WordPress from Planet Ozh
- WordPress Publisher Blog
- Planet WordPress Canada
- The WordCamp Report
If You Are Reading This: If you are reading this blog post NOT on the Blog Herald or from within your feed reader, it is being used against the copyright policy of the copyright owners. Please report it immediately so action may be taken to break some heads and feed scraping blogs.
Each Wednesday on Blog Herald is WordPress Wednesday, featuring the news around the WordPress Community. If you have a WordPress news item or tip to suggest, please contact me at this special email address: email@example.com
The author of Lorelle on WordPress and the fast-selling book, Blogging Tips: What Bloggers Won't Tell You About Blogging, as well as several other blogs, Lorelle VanFossen has been blogging for over 15 years, covering blogging, WordPress, travel, nature and travel photography, web design, web theory and development extensively as web technologies developed.
I am really excited to finally be using the final product of the 2.7 timeline. It is awesome to see things that were simply ideas just a few months ago turned into reality. Jane, the testers, the community, all are responsible for 2.7 being such a great release. As I see it, 2.7 is the cake, 2.8 will be the icing :)