WordPress 2.7 feature freeze announced. Parent/child WordPress Themes change how Themes will work in WordPress 2.7 – are you ready? WordCamp Bangkok this weekend, Hawaii next weekend. WordPress Weekly Podcast talks SEO. WordCast Podcast talks about influential bloggers and WordPress folks. And more WordPress and WordCamp news.
WordPress 2.7 Development: As of October 14, 2008, WordPress 2.7 has frozen all features to prepare for the first round of release candidate testing. The announcement of the first release candidate should be out any time for those willing to risk their blogs and their lives to test this new version.
Things You Need to Know About WordPress 2.7: The following are articles and posts with information you need to know for WordPress 2.7 if you are a developer, WordPress Theme or Plugin author.
- Sivel – Separating Pings from Comments in WordPress 2.7
- Ottodestruct – WordPress 2.7 Comments Enhancements for Themes
- WordCamp NYC: Matt Mullenweg on the State of WordPress also gives a walk through of WordPress 2.7 (video)
- Look under WordPress Themes and Plugins news for information on the new Parent/Child Theme structure in WordPress 2.7.
WordPress Community Passion: Understanding WordPress Community Fanaticism, here on the Blog Herald, talks about the impact WordPress has had on so many people and why the WordPress Community is so passionate about blogging and WordPress. Has WordPress changed your life?
WordCast Podcast: The most recent episode is WordCast 31: Squeak Squeak Squeak! featuring Liz Strauss and covered conspiracy theories to the Most Powerful and Influential People in Social Media, along with a lot of entertainment and WordPress chat.
WordPress Weekly Podcast: This past week’s episode of the WordPress Weekly Podcast with Jeffro is called All In One SEO To Go featuring an interview with Michael Torbert (hallsofmontezuma) about WordPress Plugins including his All-in-one SEO Pack WordPress Plugin, discussions on WordPress and SEO, WordPress 2.7 new features, and more WordPress news and information.
Last Week’s WordPress Wednesday News: Can’t get enough WordPress news and tips? There is so much news coming out about the latest version, so you can catch up with the past news in last week’s WordPress Wednesday News: WordCamp News, WordPress 2.7, Lester Chan Plugins Famous, Super Cache Updated.
WordPress on Your Calendar
WordPress Meetup or WordCamp Near You? If you are putting together a WordPress event, please email me so I can publicize it here. If there is a WordCamp near you, go. If you are interested in setting up a WordCamp, stay tuned for news and information on to bring a WordCamp event near you.
- The Boston WordPress October Meetup – October 16, 2008
- Atlanta Web Design with WordPress Group – Atlanta, Georgia – October 18, 2008
- WordCamp Bangkok 2008 – Bangkok, Thailand – October 19, 2008
- The New York City WordPress October Meetup – October 21, 2008
- Podcamp and WordCamp Hawaii – Oct 24, 2008
- Gulf Coast WordPress/Blogger October Meetup – Mobile, Alabama – October 25, 2008
- The Dallas/Ft. Worth Area WordPress October Meetup – Texas – October 25, 2008
- Toronto WordPress Meetup – November 1, 2008
- WordPress Meetup – Las Vegas – November 5, 2008
- The semi-un-not-so-official WordPress Upgrade Party at CubeSpace – Portland, Oregon – November 10, 2008
- MinneWordCamp – Minneapolis – November 15, 2008
- WordCamp Israel – November 16, 2008
- WordCampED for educators – Washington DC – November 22, 2008
- WordCamp Australia – Sydney – November 29-30, 2008
- WordCamp Las Vegas 2009 – Las Vegas, Nevada – January 10-11, 2009
- WordCamp Denver 2008 – January 24, 2009
- WordCamp Jena Germany – February 14, 2009
Upcoming WordCamps not scheduled or confirmed:
- WordCamp Indy (Indianaplois)
- WordCamp Augusta
- WordCamp Miami
Upcoming WordCamp and WordPress Event News
Podcamp/WordCamp Hawaii Next Weekend: The hashtag and tag for Podcamp and WordCamp Hawaii on Oct 24, 2008, has been announced: #pch08 and pch08. The governor of the state has declared that week to be Hawaii Geek Week as it features a ton of web tech, social media, and blog events.
WordCamp Logos Explored: The WordCamp Report released an article on Exploring WordCamp Logo Creativity. It looks at the official WordCamp logos and how many WordCamp organizers are creating their own unique and interesting designs, often integrating local symbols and landmarks into the logos.
WordCamp Charlotte Update: WordCamp Charlotte is now open for registration for the November 15 event. Remember that WordCampRDU has been suspended and is now combined with the WordCamp event in Charlotte. Volunteers and sponsors are still being sought.
WordCamp Bangkok, Thailand: The speakers list for WordCamp Bangkok is up for the October 19, 2008, event, and I sure wish I was on that list. It looks like a great WordCamp event in Thailand.
WordCamp Australia News: will be a speaker at WordCamp Australia in Sydney on November 29-30, 2008. Word is that Jane Wells maybe joining him, talking about WordPress 2.7, which should have just been released.
WordCampED News: WordCamp Ed(ucation) is set for November 22, 2008, near Washington, D.C., at George Mason University Center for History and New Media. Registration is open and will include unconference style sessions. The event is free and they will be accepting donations to offset expenses. If you are an educator, edublogger, or work in education, this could be a very exciting WordPress event for you.
WordCamp Argentina News: WordCamp Argentina is in the plans. Stay tuned for more news.
Past WordCamp Events
WordCamps and WordPress Meetups Everywhere: A WordPress Meetup is a frequent meeting of WordPress fans. A WordCamp is a day or two long event with sponsors and dozens if not hundreds of WordPress fans gathering annually. If you would like to sponsor or host a WordCamp, check out the new official site for tracking WordCamps is WordCamp Central, which includes instructions and guidelines for running a WordCamp. If you would like to start a WordPress Meetup group, find a meeting place and announce it among your friends, and add a listing to the Yahoo Upcoming events for WordPress, as many track WordPress event announcements there. Also, check out the latest WordCamp news from The WordCamp Report.
WordPress Plugins and Themes News
Parent and Child Theme Confusion in WordPress 2.7: With WordPress 2.7 comes a new layer to WordPress Themes: Parent and Child Themes. Traditionally, when WordPress loads a Theme, it pulls it from its Theme directory. With WordPress 2.7, you can have two Theme directories, a “parent” directory which holds the downloaded Theme, and a “child” directory which holds the core changes and modifications of a Parent WordPress Theme. This new layered approach protects WordPress Themes along with the automatic Theme updating and loading. Instead of making changes in the Theme itself, you make modifications in the Child Theme. WordPress looks for information there before it loads the Parent Theme, protecting the core Theme while allowing modifications from the Child Theme. Ian Steward of Themeshaper.com was interviewed by Weblog Tools Collection and explains this thoroughly in
Child Themes in WordPress 2.7 – Part 1 and Part 2. The article also references another by Stewart on the new
functions.php for child Themes. Also check out the article by Jacob Santos on the hazards of customizing Themes in WordPress 2.7 and why the Parent/Child Theme technique is a good one.
Interesting WordPress Plugins:
- SodaHead Polls WordPress Plugin adds free polls to your blog with images and customization features.
- Easy Disable Visual Editor WordPress Plugin disables the WordPress visual editor globally.
- Score Render WordPress Plugin is great for publishing sheet music on your WordPress blog. It renders inline sheet music fragments inside of blog posts and comments as images and supports ABC, GUIDO, Lilypond and Mup music notations.
- MTR Podcast Recorder WordPress Plugin makes real-time recording possible with MP3 files saved to the same server WordPress is installed.
- Smart 404 WordPress Plugin enhances your 404 Page Not Found results by adding a search of your posts, tags, and categories using the keywords from the requested URL, improving the likelihood of finding the post or related content.
WordPress Techniques and Tips
Here are some interesting WordPress tips I’ve found as I explore the web looking for WordPress resources:
- Performancing.com – Jazz Up Your Site: 28 Ways To Use WordPress Custom Fields
- How To Add Bio Info To Your WordPress Blog Posts
- ZEPREZ WordPress Video Guides – How To Set Up Press It in WordPress For Quick Comment Posting On Interesting Articles
- Nerdaphernalia: Consolidate Options with Arrays in your WordPress Plugins
- Perishable Press: Working with Multiple Themes Outside of the WordPress Installation Directory
- How to: Integrate a Slideshow In Your WordPress Theme
Want to Write a WordPress Tip and See It Here? If you would like your WordPress tip and technique included in this list, see Tips For Writing Good WordPress Tips and Writing and Publishing Code In Your WordPress Blog Posts. When its ready, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WordPress Community News
Things You Need to Know in the WordPress Community:
- WordPress Facebook Community: WordPress on Facebook
- WordPress Schwag for Sale: WordPress Shop
- WordPress Bugs: Reporting Bugs in WordPress
- Online WordPress Manual: WordPress Codex
- Have Your Say: WordPress Ideas
- WordPress Experts Found: Automattic WordPress Consultants List, WordPress Jobs, and the WP-Pro mailing list
- Help Installing WordPress: Installing WordPress for Free
- WordPress is Trademarked: You are not allowed to use WordPress in your domain name
- WordPress is WordPress: It’s spelled “WordPress” not “WordPress”. Oh, and Plugin is Plugin, not plug-in (what you put into a wall electrical socket).
Past WordPress Wednesday News Reports
- WordPress Wednesday News: WordCamp News, WordPress 2.7, Lester Chan Plugins Famous, Super Cache Updated
- WordPress Wednesday News: WordPress 2.7 Final Features, WTC Plugin Contest Winners, WordCamps, Surveys, and More
- WordPress Wednesday News: WordPress 2.7 Final Features, WTC Plugin Contest Winners, WordCamps, Surveys, and More
- WordPress Wednesday News: 4 WordCamps, WordPress 2.6.2, Bad Themes, Count Twitterers, Threaded Comments, and Sticky Posts
WordPress News Sources
- WordPress Planet
- WordPress Development Blog
- WordPress.com Blog
- Weblog Tools Collection
- The WordPress Podcast
- Lorelle on WordPress
- Planet WordPress from Planet Ozh
- WordPress Publisher Blog
- Planet WordPress Canada
- The WordCamp Report
If You Are Reading This: If you are reading this blog post NOT on the Blog Herald or from within your feed reader, it is being used against the copyright policy of the copyright owners. Please report it immediately so action may be taken to break some heads and feed scraping blogs.
Each Wednesday on Blog Herald is WordPress Wednesday, featuring the news around the WordPress Community. If you have a WordPress news item or tip to suggest, please contact me at this special email address: email@example.com
The author of Lorelle on WordPress and the fast-selling book, Blogging Tips: What Bloggers Won't Tell You About Blogging, as well as several other blogs, Lorelle VanFossen has been blogging for over 15 years, covering blogging, WordPress, travel, nature and travel photography, web design, web theory and development extensively as web technologies developed.