Now Reading
AdSense Changes Revenue Share Structure: What Publishers Need to Know

AdSense Changes Revenue Share Structure: What Publishers Need to Know

Avatar photo
Adsense Update

Google’s AdSense program, which determines how much money publishers make, is undergoing major changes as of late. Google has decided to switch to a pay-per-impression advertising model instead of the more common pay-per-click model. In the beginning of 2024, this modification will take effect. This article will delve into the specifics of this update, its potential effects on publishers, and Google’s reasoning behind the change.

What You Need to Know About the New Payment System

There will be a shift away from paying publishers per click under the new system. Instead, publishers will be compensated in a consistent manner across all of Google’s products and third-party platforms based on the number of impressions their ads receive. While the pay-per-click model has been the industry standard for years, this transition to pay-per-impression is aimed at streamlining the payment process and ensuring fair compensation for publishers.

According to Google, the current revenue-sharing structure will remain in place, with publishers receiving roughly 68% of the ad revenue. Of the remaining 32%, Google Ads keeps an average of 15% of advertiser spending, while AdSense receives the remaining 17%. This new system ensures that publishers receive reasonable payment for the advertising space they provide, allowing them to concentrate on producing excellent content.

Google has explained the thinking behind this shift in the AdSense program. The AdSense network used to handle payments in a single transaction. But Google is now charging different rates for the buy-side and the sell-side of the business. Google plans to improve the publisher payment process by switching to a pay-per-impression model.

This update brings publishers in line with the display industry norm and enables them to evaluate their financial performance against that of other technology vendors. Google Ads, a dominant player in the digital advertising space, has adopted the pay-per-impression model to standardize and equalize revenue sharing.

Concerns and Responses from Publishers

It’s only natural for publishers to have questions and concerns whenever a major update is made to a service like AdSense. Publishers have voiced both skepticism and optimism about the new payment structure in various online forums.

Some publishers have advised caution in anticipating the industry’s future and instead have taken a “wait and see” stance. They are aware that there could be both positive and negative effects from this shift, and that it will be crucial to evaluate the actual outcomes after the new system has been put into place.

See Also
self-discovery through personal manifesto

Some people are skeptical, worried that Google will reap the most financial benefits from the shift. They worry that Google will profit more than publishers from the change and doubt that it is in their best interest.

See first source: Search Engine Journal


Q1: What is changing in Google’s AdSense program?

  • Google is transitioning from a pay-per-click advertising model to a pay-per-impression model for publishers beginning in early 2024.

Q2: How will publishers be compensated under the new payment system?

  • Publishers will be compensated based on the number of impressions their ads receive, moving away from the traditional pay-per-click model. This change aims to streamline payments and ensure fair compensation.

Q3: What percentage of ad revenue will publishers receive in the new system?

  • Under the new system, publishers will continue to receive approximately 68% of the ad revenue, with Google Ads keeping around 15%, and AdSense receiving the remaining 17%.

Q4: What is Google’s rationale for switching to a pay-per-impression model?

  • Google is making this change to improve the publisher payment process and align with industry norms. It allows publishers to evaluate their financial performance against other technology vendors and standardizes revenue sharing.

Q5: How are publishers responding to this change?

  • Publishers have expressed a mix of skepticism and optimism about the new payment structure. Some are adopting a “wait and see” approach, while others are concerned that Google may benefit more from the shift than publishers.

Q6: What are the concerns of some publishers regarding this change?

  • Some publishers are worried that Google will reap greater financial benefits from the transition and doubt whether it is in their best interest. They are cautious about the potential positive and negative effects and want to assess the actual outcomes once the new system is in place.

Featured Image Credit: Photo by Rubaitul Azad; Unsplash – Thank you!

Scroll To Top