Sometimes we will write something and it will unexpectedly deliver you lots of traffic without you needing to do anything.This happens surprisingly often after your blog gets established with readers and search engines.
While this is nice in itself, many people just bask in the reflected glory and do nothing. But there are ways to properly benefit from this attention …
Here are some ideas:
- Put in a call to subscribe – “Hey, thanks for dropping by, if you like this you will love what I am going to bring you soon, so sign up so you don’t miss out”
- Add links to related content – Get as many page views as possible but also the more value you offer the greater connection you are going to make
- Promote it - While you didn’t need promotion to get it noticed, that doesn’t mean it is too late to give it a good push now
- Get links – If your article is already proving popular then if you ask for links you have proof of sorts that readers will like it
- Do a friend a favor – While you are linking up you could link out to some friends who have similar or related articles
- Add product links – If you are getting visitors every day some of them might turn out to be buyers
- Add your own product or service - Buyers do not necessarily need to be sent to 3rd parties – add a message saying “if you need help with XYZ ..” and sell your own services
- Sell ads - Some of those adwords advertisers who are bidding on your search term might be pleased to send some dollars your way to feature on a page that ranks naturally
- Write part two - You might have written the original so fast you missed important elements, a natural reason to write a part two or even more and make it into a series
- Ask for questions, additions and further tips – Can your readers expand on it? One way to find out – ask!
Can you think of any other ways you can benefit from unexpected traffic? Please add your tips in the comments …