For a while blogging became just my job. My last hobby blog had been sold, my personal blog down and broken. It seemed the fun had gone out of blogging for me.
So to fix that, a friend and I just launched a purely fun blog, all about Formula 1. In doing so I learned a couple of lessons:
- When your interest becomes your job you need to work hard to keep your passion alive. My love of photography suffered from trying to commercialize my pictures to the point where I lost interest and sold my blog. Don’t let that happen to you.
- You can learn a lot from doing hobby projects, especially as you have true freedom to be creative.
- Finding the fun can be a great way to stay motivated.
- Blogs can help you enjoy a hobby – it happened with my photography and is happening again with F1
- Sometimes geeks just do what geeks do – it’s only natural that we blog stuff
Have you ever killed off an interest by getting too serious with it? How have you combined your work and play? Please share in the comments …
Chris is a professional blogger and internet marketing consultant. You can get more of his blogging tips, internet marketing advice and copywriting articles and a FREE ebook just by subscribing at chrisg.com