Stumble Into Friends and Gain More Visitors

Filed as Features, Guides on September 14, 2007 3:02 pm

Repost This

While most people are now aware of the terrific traffic spikes that Digg can send your way, my own personal social media fave usually gets second billing at best. Not only does my preferred service send traffic, it also:

• Sends visitors over a longer period
  • Has less aggressive “feedback”
  • Invites deep involvement through community groups
  • Can be used very quickly and easily
  • Provides a toolbar to make it even easier
  • Is a fun way to spend periods of surfing time
  • Can be a source of new contacts and friends
  • Allows you to reward and reciprocate others

I am of course talking about StumbleUpon!

This post was inspired by seeing my SU profile mentioned at Blog-Op. I thought it was a lovely idea, thank your Stumbling friends, inform people of your own profile, and invite others to make use of the service. Brilliant.

Unlike some other social media services, there is no single topical bias. For example on Digg you might find a skew towards Apple, Linux, certain presidential candidates. Pretty geeky stuff. Over at SU every topic under the sun is represented. So as well being able to serve up content for any interest, I have also been able to help my blogging clients with a traffic nudge from articles about Photography tips to posts about a PDF to Excel Conversion product.

You see, StumbleUpon is not just a toolbar, or a social bookmarking service, it is also a community. Some topics have very active discussion groups. Some people use it for just delivering traffic, others make friends, while other primarily use it for bookmarking.

If you haven’t tried it already I recommend you go and start making friends and building traffic, I am sure you will love it :)

Do you Stumble? Let me know in the comments so I can add you

1. By Emily posted on September 14, 2007 at 4:01 pm

mamasbloggin.stumbleupon.com

2. By luca posted on September 14, 2007 at 4:21 pm

Digg brings to me much more traffic… where am I wrong ?

3. By Jeremy Steele posted on September 14, 2007 at 4:25 pm

nusuni.stumbleupon.com

Sometimes I go through spells and do like 100 stumbles in an hour, then other times it’ll go unused for weeks.

4. By Rich Owings posted on September 14, 2007 at 4:34 pm

Just started stumbling recently.

5. By Aimee posted on September 14, 2007 at 6:24 pm

I have tried to use Stumble by doing a campaign and that brought traffic overnight to my site, but it spiked and then went back down. I maintained a few extra subscribers from it so it proved useful for only $5.00. What I would like to do is add a “Stumble This” button to my posts or homepage, but can’t seem to find out how to do this using the newest Blogger template. Every thing I find only works in the classic template. Any thoughts?

6. By Ryan Erisman posted on September 14, 2007 at 9:54 pm

7. By Chris Garrett posted on September 14, 2007 at 10:11 pm

All friended :)

@Jeremy – I am inconsistent myself, some days loads, others none. I guess just depends on what I happen across.

@Aimee – Not sure about blogger but there is a blogger s group on SU so I am guessing someone there will know

8. By The Internet Cash Flow Guy posted on September 15, 2007 at 12:35 am

Not sure about Blogger, but I have seen a plugin for WordPress before. I am posting this from my phone so I don’t have the link here but just google “WordPress stumbleupon” and it should come up.

9. By Skellie posted on September 15, 2007 at 2:03 am

10. By Chris Lodge posted on September 15, 2007 at 4:15 pm

Thanks for the link Chris, glad you liked the post.

If anyone wants to:

:-)

11. By Michele posted on September 16, 2007 at 2:19 am

I am completely hooked on StumbleUpon!

12. By xensen posted on September 16, 2007 at 7:00 am

I use stumbleupon and it sometimes brings me a lot of traffic. Right now it’s quiet though, and I’m not sure I’ve figured out the best way to use it effectively.

13. By pelf posted on September 16, 2007 at 9:40 am

I do not have a SU account, but I do have a question: How different is SU from del.icio.us?

I mean, SU allows users to “like” certain pages, just like how del.icio.us allows users to “bookmark” pages, am I right?

In SU, you can be a friend of somebody, just like how you can add somebody into your network in del.icio.us.

And if you add people you don’t know as your friends, isn’t it like recreating a Friendster/Facebook account altogether?

14. By Chris Garrett posted on September 16, 2007 at 10:30 am

@Pelf – They are a similar idea but Delicious is all about the links really, SU has the ubiquitous toolbar, is a bit more instant and easy, and has discussion groups so is a bit more of a community feel.

15. By pelf posted on September 16, 2007 at 10:56 am

@Chris: OK, so SU is a little like MyBlogLog, which allows you to add friends and communities, etc? :)

16. By Nancy Hendrickson posted on September 16, 2007 at 6:37 pm