Editor’s note: This post was written by Kanika Sharma, who works as a writer at ProofHub. For the past 2 years, she has been writing for various technology blogs. Being an engineering graduate, her background allows her to connect with cutting edge technologies and relate them with real world scenarios. Follow Kanika on Twitter to know more about her.
Every now and then, we see successful entrepreneurs around us or read stories about those who made it big, and we wonder how they did that! Well, they’ve got no super-brains or magic wands. They’re normal human beings, just like you and me. Then where’s the difference? Let me tell you the secret behind their success. Besides putting the best of their efforts, they resort to those ‘key points’ where others fail to make the stroke.
Productivity, i.e. getting the most out of your everyday, is one key area where most of the startup entrepreneurs, project managers and even employees lack. So, if you’re looking for ways to improve your own productivity along with that of your employees, this is how you should go about it.
Starting with the latest productivity hacks, here’s the list:
- Fuel yourself: Your work consumes a major portion of your day and working for long hours can put a negative impact on your health. So before that happens, your primary concern should be your health. You should stay fit and ene For this, you can:
- Exercise twice a day, in the morning and in the evening. It sets a pace for the day and gives you a positive energy boost. Studies have shown that exercising can enhance your mood for more than 12 hours after your workout.
- Never skip your morning breakfast and make sure all your meals are nutritious. Stay hydrated as your body thrives on water. It will keep you healthy.
- Take a break! No? Are you a robot? While working hard all day long, you definitely deserve a break, or take two infact. And in those few minutes, you should not think of work, not at all. Go out and breathe in fresh air, walk fast or slow, munch a healthy snack, simply spend some quiet time or do whatever you feel like to relax yourself.
- Ignore the unimportant: With so many things happening around you, the chances of getting distracted are quite high. However, to finish the work you’ve started with, it is crucial to stay focused. You can:
- Set your cell phone on airplane mode and turn off all the notifications for email, chat, news, and other updates. Buzzing cell phones are a major cause of lower productivity.
- Online social networking channels such as Facebook are quite a big distraction these days. The curiosity to know what’s happening out there makes it irresistible for everyone to log in and hit that what’s new button, every now and then.
- We all have that one devil inside us who pushes us to do things later. Isn’t it? Kill him and make a list of all the things that are pending and prepare a schedule to get them done.
- Use technology to simplify work: Tools can be great lifesavers when you have a lot to do. To manage your projects and collaborate with teams, try ProofHub. To capture and store data, you can use Evernote. And if you prefer to work on spreadsheet style, then go for Smartsheet. Further, to simplify the problem of remembering multiple passwords, use LastPass. These handy helpers can save you a lot of time and effort.
- Know when are you most productive: Different individuals have different peak productivity hours in a day and so does you. Some of us feel better focused in the night, whereas others prefer to get up early for work. Individual preferences! So try to figure out when is your peak productivity time and schedule your work routine according to that.
- Power naps are good, infact magical: We all have those drowsy eyes when tired of continuous working, Right? Well, taking a power nap of 15- 30 minutes can help you recharge yourself and get back to work afresh.
Not only these hacks will help you become more efficient at work, but will also help you create a work-life balance.
In addition to the above hacks, I would like to discuss the latest productivity trends so that managers, leaders and management personnels can encourage these trends between different teams and departments within an organization for enhanced output. Let’s take a look:
- A healthy culture – Enriched relationships between co-workers accelerates productivity and and greater percentage of returns. Having healthy day-to-day conversations can be a lot beneficial in the process of bringing affinity to the workplace.
- Productive confrontation – Confrontation is not just argumentation, blames and discomfort, but an opportunity for enhanced employee engagement. The only thing required is to handle it carefully through preparation for the encounter, timely delivery of message and staying focused. Respecting other person’s speech and listening to them patiently would also help a lot.
- Improve decision making through shared opinions – Other than leaders, team members should be included in the process of decision making because it will help in understanding their point of view as well and will bring more perspectives in the process.
- Cross functional alignment – When employees get to work on different functions and with different departments, teamwork, expertise and productivity gets boosted. This brings more innovation to the work and increases employee engagement as well.
All these productivity hacks and trends will help you fill the gap between your efforts and your goals. With this you and your teams will be able to develop skills that are required to thrive into today’s ever-changing business world.